Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

power of attorney

power of attorney

Old Jul 15th 2021, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute
Default power of attorney

Hiya All

We have 2 steps to complete here in PT (apparently) to get our visa stamped in Manchester for long stay, one of them is getting an NIF and the other is opening a bank account, when we meet the notary later today apparently I am being told that I need to give somebody 'power of attorney' what are the potential pitfalls of this ? and is it all above board or slightly dodgy in a way that I could come unstuck in a few months ? or if anything should happen to me in the meantime (ie fatal......unlikely I know but you have to consider these things).............on the basis that most of the threads on here say 'trust nobody' I thought I should ask ?
Cheers
Andy.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: power of attorney

This is the gist of legal views (from a Google search)
<In addition to restricting an agents power to act on certain matters, a limited power of attorney can restrict the timeframe that the agent is allowed to act. For example, you may be out of the country on vacation for a month, but wish to have someone back home able to sign business documents on your behalf.>
and
if you do a Google search "how to get power of attorney in portugal" you will get lots of info. But the important thing is to make the wording clear as to what powers are given on your behalf - eg restricted to property purchase, setting up bank account, and with a time limit ... the notary should help you with all of this?

Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

It was a LONG time ago, but we gave Power of Attorney to our Estate Agent (who was also a lawyer) for the completion of our property deal only. We bought the house whilst on holiday last week in June and we were notified the property was ours mid August. No problems whatsoever.

Old Jul 15th 2021, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Our lawyer also had Power of Attorney for the purchase of our house. It was limited only to the purchase and to a completion date.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that folks.............I think its a bit clearer now, so basically I can ask for the 'power' to be limited to one aspect only ( or as required ) .............I did do a few google searches but it still sounded a bit daunting if I am honest...............many thanks though
Cheers
Andy.