Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese Pension

Portuguese Pension

Old Jul 23rd 2021, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portuguese Pension

Hi
I have been working here in Portugal at Instituto Superior Técnico university for over 20 years now
Some of that time has been as a bolseiro on a state funded grant and hence paying in myself to Social Security on the Voluntary scheme and then claiming the money back from the state (I know, makes complete sense doesn't it )
And the rest of that time and recently has been under contracts where my contributions are paid directly by my employing Uni.

I think that after a certain number of years I am entitled to a PT pension
But is this the sum of the voluntary and contract years above?
Or do I have to 'get past the post' on one or the other (Knowing the PT state I fear that its this)

Does anyone know about this, or correct my naivety?

Any links in Portuguese are fine for me

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Pension

Well I did a simple Google search on "SS portugal reforma" and came up with lots of useful looking sites from calculating a possible pension, to government sites and how to apply for your pension. But basic requirement at present seems to be at 66 years plus 5 months, and with minimum of 15 years, so it depends if your voluntary bits were more than 5 years out of your 20 as to whether they matter or not. Also, were you employed in a previous (before PT) existence in another EU country (possibly even still counting UK but need to check after Brexit on the specific terms) as those years of contributions to that country's pension scheme can boost your number of years to be taken into account for your PT pension.

Have fun reading through all that lot !
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Did you also pay voluntary payments into the UK pension scheme, which a lot of ex-pats have done? Do you also need to apply for your pensions from other countries you may have worked in? It is not just the last country you worked in that pays a pension, if you have enough registered contributions, but a combination ... it is just that you are supposed to apply for pensions FROM and VIA the pensions office of the country that you last worked in so that it can all be put together for number of working years.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Did you also pay voluntary payments into the UK pension scheme, which a lot of ex-pats have done? Do you also need to apply for your pensions from other countries you may have worked in? It is not just the last country you worked in that pays a pension, if you have enough registered contributions, but a combination ... it is just that you are supposed to apply for pensions FROM and VIA the pensions office of the country that you last worked in so that it can all be put together for number of working years.
I guess I have a couple of years UK pension from when I was employed at Soton Uni, but otherwise nothing
Just interested to know if you can sum the voluntary and contract years

I'm more an immigrant than an Ex-pat
Old Jul 26th 2021, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are older than 66 years and 6 months (pensionable date for 2021), you are entitled to a pension if you have contributed for 1t least 15 years (even if in one year you only contributed 1 month, the whole year will be counted as a credit). Contributions to some other systems are also taken into account in ensuring the 15 year minimum is achieved - though I think it will be 'that' system that will have to pay you your pension entitlement. You should contact your nearest Social Security office.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
If you are older than 66 years and 6 months (pensionable date for 2021), you are entitled to a pension if you have contributed for 1t least 15 years (even if in one year you only contributed 1 month, the whole year will be counted as a credit). Contributions to some other systems are also taken into account in ensuring the 15 year minimum is achieved - though I think it will be 'that' system that will have to pay you your pension entitlement. You should contact your nearest Social Security office.
I wonder if PT pension system allows top-up/buy-back for previous years, like UK allows.
Then OP could top-up any missing years in PT.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it does - best you actually approach a social security office and work through this with them, though the Portuguese pension system does not work the same way as the UK system ie it is a capitalisation system (though there are elements comparable to the UK system). Essentially you are entitled to a pension based on your contributions into the system (salaries are adjusted for inflation), so I don't see a great benefit in making up missed years, unless you need to make up the 15 years minimum contribution
Old Jul 27th 2021, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Tony
Its not other systems, it's the same system, just under different 'regimes'. If I can add together the years under contract (employee paid) and under 'bolsas' (voluntary) then I already have 15 years, but I'm not sure if I can add the two years' totals together
I will ask at the SS (an unfortunate acronym!), but I don't trust them, they have lied to me in the past, on more than one occasion.

Old Jul 27th 2021, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I am not sure on the 'bolsas' - if there was contributions (have you got paperwork that you made contributions, or that these were deducted off your 'bolsas'?), then it will be taken into account. You can ask for an extract of your contributions and they will give you a printout with all these numbers - may take awhile while they extract it. If you got electronic access, you might be able to get hold of this through the portal
Old Jul 28th 2021, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I am not sure on the 'bolsas' - if there was contributions (have you got paperwork that you made contributions, or that these were deducted off your 'bolsas'?), then it will be taken into account. You can ask for an extract of your contributions and they will give you a printout with all these numbers - may take awhile while they extract it. If you got electronic access, you might be able to get hold of this through the portal
All the contributions are on my extract, but were made under two different 'regimes'

I went onto 'SS Direta' looking for the extract - but I couldn't find it and I think I remember that I have already been told that you have to physically go into SS to get this - IIRC

But, I thought I would try the pension simulator (not the automatic option) and there all my years of contributions (Voluntário and under contract) are listed, and I can simulate a value for my pension.

So I think I can answer my own question - it appears to me that voluntário and contract years can be added to give the required 15 years (which should have been obvious but you can never be sure around here )

EDIT: How do I calculate what I would actually receive from the 'Bruto' simulation value for a pension? What are the deductions to be made?

Last edited by Midgo; Jul 28th 2021 at 7:48 am.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midgo
All the contributions are on my extract, but were made under two different 'regimes'

EDIT: How do I calculate what I would actually receive from the 'Bruto' simulation value for a pension? What are the deductions to be made?
That depends - single / married / other income, etc - essentially income tax
Old Jul 29th 2021, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Tony
So its the same deal as for income tax for wages?
Old Jul 29th 2021, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes
Old Jul 29th 2021, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks