Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese equivalent of the old UK Ehic

Portuguese equivalent of the old UK Ehic

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portuguese equivalent of the old UK Ehic

Could anyone confirm if this is what we need to apply for to replace our old UK EHIC? (Via social security site?)
Thanks

Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese equivalent of the old UK Ehic

Yes, that's the one, should arrive in the post within a couple of weeks

BTW, for anyone else reading, I believe the rule is that if Portugal pays for your healthcare (you are Portuguese resident and do not have an S1) then you should apply for a Portuguese EHIC, as above. If you still have UK residency or you are Portuguese resident but with an S1, you should apply for a replacement UK GHIC (or possibly UK EHIC, depending on circumstances)
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

We are UK and Portugal residents and have both EHICs, No S1.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 5:54 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrahamF
We are UK and Portugal residents and have both EHICs, No S1.
You shouldn't have.

Only one country will have primary responsibility for your social security and that is the one to which you should apply for your EHIC, which covers you for health matters outside your country of ordinary residence. Even if it is possible for you to be considered resident enough in both to be registered in both of the public health systems, only one country (I'd suggest the UK in your case, since I presume it is where you have made all or most of your SS contributions) should give you EHIC cover when in the EU / EEA but not in either of those countries.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You shouldn't have. Only one country will have primary responsibility for your social security and that is the one to which you should apply.
The Portuguese ones were applied for some years ago when it was uncertain whether the UK would remain in the arrangement. When they expire the Portuguese ones won't be renewed.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

OK so I'm now a little confused by what Alan has just advised. I have a PT residency cert. I have only just applied for S1( as I lost my S1 application form).
Was going to apply for the Cartao Europeu. So should I not do that and have to apply to the UK. ?
I am more confused as when we went to pick up prescriptions from the centro saude they said our (UK) Ehic had expired and needed to be renewed. (We were asked for this when we first registered as I was not resident then.) More confusing about this is that my OH is Portuguese and would surely only need a Ehic if we were travelling out of Portugal.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrahamF
The Portuguese ones were applied for some years ago when it was uncertain whether the UK would remain in the arrangement. When they expire the Portuguese ones won't be renewed.
I would hesitate to use the older Portuguese European card as the more recent UK card will have taken precedence. We had spanish cards while resident and working in Spain, but as we retired we obtained our S1s from the UK, still as residents (and smaller pensions) in Spain and the older Spanish one became redundant. Now we are resident in Portugal, we have updated our S1s as residents in Portugal and UK pays our health care to Portugal and provides the GHIC for European travel (we arrived before Brexit but that should have no impact on the timing and validity of EHIC/GHIC and local equivalents).
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
OK so I'm now a little confused by what Alan has just advised. I have a PT residency cert. I have only just applied for S1( as I lost my S1 application form).
Was going to apply for the Cartao Europeu. So should I not do that and have to apply to the UK. ?
I am more confused as when we went to pick up prescriptions from the centro saude they said our (UK) Ehic had expired and needed to be renewed. (We were asked for this when we first registered as I was not resident then.) More confusing about this is that my OH is Portuguese and would surely only need a Ehic if we were travelling out of Portugal.
You would probably be better waiting until you have your S1, then applying for a UK card: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nce-card-ghic/

When you have your S1 you can also correct your SNS details. As a resident in Portugal, you definitely shouldn't be relying on an EHIC for cover in Portugal - it's for travel to countries other than the one where you are resident.

Your nationality (and that of your OH) isn't the relevant fact. It's who pays for your healthcare. The S1 says that the UK pays for your healthcare, so the UK should issue the EHIC/GHIC
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
I would hesitate to use the older Portuguese European card as the more recent UK card will have taken precedence. We had spanish cards while resident and working in Spain, but as we retired we obtained our S1s from the UK, still as residents (and smaller pensions) in Spain and the older Spanish one became redundant. Now we are resident in Portugal, we have updated our S1s as residents in Portugal and UK pays our health care to Portugal and provides the GHIC for European travel (we arrived before Brexit but that should have no impact on the timing and validity of EHIC/GHIC and local equivalents).
Have just checked our Portuguese EHIC cards, they expired end January and we won't renew so, we just have the UK ones now which expire 2025. Not on S1 scheme, in Portuguese health system as well as UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toots sweet View Post
You would probably be better waiting until you have your S1, then applying for a UK card: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nce-card-ghic/

When you have your S1 you can also correct your SNS details. As a resident in Portugal, you definitely shouldn't be relying on an EHIC for cover in Portugal - it's for travel to countries other than the one where you are resident.

Your nationality (and that of your OH) isn't the relevant fact. It's who pays for your healthcare. The S1 says that the UK pays for your healthcare, so the UK should issue the EHIC/GHIC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TootsS - As you and your PT husband are now Residents in Portugal, you should take your Residencia documents to the Centro do Saude and get them to confirm you into their system as Residents (not holiday makers visiting and using EHIC as UK residents!!!) - they should give you a Utente number each - this is relevant to your actual health care (GP, Hospital, Pharmacy etc). Then having got your Utente number you should apply to the Social Services Dept (online or in person) to inform them of your residency status, your S1 status as receiving UK pensions, and they then communicate with UK Pensions about your S1 and health care in PT, and then you follow Pensions Dept UK intsructions to deal with NHS UK Business who issue your GHIC (not quite the same as EHIC which is only available to UK residents I believe) to cover you for travel in the rest of Europe, and the UK. All of this will eventually also give you a Social Security number in PT so that your status is recognised by them.
Your husband should perhaps look to see if he already had a SS number from his previous existence in PT, and this may be relevant to his current application ...? If in any doubt best thing may well be just to go to the local SS office with your PT speaking husband and all of both your documents and ASK.
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Quote:
Originally Posted by toots sweet View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TootsS - As you and your PT husband are now Residents in Portugal, you should take your Residencia documents to the Centro do Saude and get them to confirm you into their system as Residents (not holiday makers visiting and using EHIC as UK residents!!!) - they should give you a Utente number each - this is relevant to your actual health care (GP, Hospital, Pharmacy etc). Then having got your Utente number you should apply to the Social Services Dept (online or in person) to inform them of your residency status, your S1 status as receiving UK pensions, and they then communicate with UK Pensions about your S1 and health care in PT, and then you follow Pensions Dept UK intsructions to deal with NHS UK Business who issue your GHIC (not quite the same as EHIC which is only available to UK residents I believe) to cover you for travel in the rest of Europe, and the UK. All of this will eventually also give you a Social Security number in PT so that your status is recognised by them.
Your husband should perhaps look to see if he already had a SS number from his previous existence in PT, and this may be relevant to his current application ...? If in any doubt best thing may well be just to go to the local SS office with your PT speaking husband and all of both your documents and ASK.
You should be able to register and get a Utente with only your residency document, but there have been a lot of reports of people being refused, it depends on the knowledge and efficiency of your local centre. That's why I suggested it might be easier to wait until you had your S1 - it shouldn't be necessary, but it might make it easier for you

The difference between UK GHIC and EHIC, which you are entitled to and how to apply is all clearly explained in the link I posed. It's more to do with withdrawal agreement rights than residency, but there's a variety of different cases, so best to read the link.

Old Feb 3rd 2022, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

You might also find this UK government link useful: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...luding-madeira
Old Feb 3rd 2022, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

My memory of applying for the various bits of paper after I arrived in PT has been clouded by red wine, but I thought the UK was supposed to send me the health card after I had submitted it to the SS office in Lagos, who in turn would communicate with their UK counterparts to ensure that the UK government would cover the cost of any medical care I required while in PT or another EU country. That would be almost a year ago now but nothing has ever turned up in my mailbox. Should I contact DHSS?
Old Feb 4th 2022, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sportpix
My memory of applying for the various bits of paper after I arrived in PT has been clouded by red wine, but I thought the UK was supposed to send me the health card after I had submitted it to the SS office in Lagos, who in turn would communicate with their UK counterparts to ensure that the UK government would cover the cost of any medical care I required while in PT or another EU country. That would be almost a year ago now but nothing has ever turned up in my mailbox. Should I contact DHSS?
Registering your S1 ensures that the UK government pays for your healthcare in Portugal, where you are resident. It does not give you any cover in other countries.

Getting an EHIC/GHIC is a separate process, which entitles you to limited healthcare in certain countries you are temporarily visiting. Details and application in the link I already posted: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nce-card-ghic/
Old Feb 4th 2022, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling A......... I have had a NIF for about 8 years and my Utente since 2019, which is what is puzzling me. My S1 form app went in about 10 days ago in person at social services, photocopies of passport, pension details etc. My OH has a NISS number. Not a lot of reliance on our centro saude at the moment.. Got back from the pharmacy to find that they had prescribed the wrong tablets for my OH! Not the ones we requested.(course he didn't think to check) On the good side, is when we went to update our phone numbers ,give my residency details etc,we asked about our booster jab(UK jabs 1 and 2). They sent us down to the local sports centre down the road. Ladies there asked if we needed help,explained our situation and 20 minutes later all fully jabbed! Very efficient, friendly and required distancing etc .
Can't have it all ways I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.