Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugese Politics

Portugese Politics

Old May 10th 2017, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Portugese Politics

I'm not sure what the thread creator wants. < all snipped >

Whether I agree with the rules on voting after leaving a country or not, it seems that majority of ex-pats loose their right to vote after 10 years unless they remain on the UK electoral system. Why then are ex-pats willing to fight and bicker over something they are no longer a part of I don't understand. If you're angry, write to your member of parliament, if you don't have an MP or a vote then concentrate on getting one.

< snipped >

Last edited by BEVS; May 11th 2017 at 1:09 am. Reason: Nopes. I will be altering the thread title to help.
Old May 10th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well not if you refuse to recognize objectively true facts, it isn't.

I don't care if your stance is "I like the EU and I like their laws", that is a perfectly acceptable stance to take (though one I happen to not agree with ), but to deny that the EU mandates some laws that countries must pass, is to deny reality.
We don't agree with you so you That is demeaning and not consistent with polite discourse.

You wouldn't recognize an "objectively true fact" if you fell over over one. For you. the only true facts are whatever you happen believe. Anyone who has a different opinion must be wrong.

carvoeiro and I want to discuss issues like this on this forum because we don't know everything. We come here to hopefully get a better understanding of the issues. Having to deal with closed-minded individuals who think they know everything doesn't help.

P.S.
As for the issue of EU mandates. Of course Britain has to comply. They agreed to do so when they joined the EU. When has anyone suggested otherwise?
Do your beliefs extend to the notion of "keeping you word", or is it OK to renege on things you've agreed to do, because you don't like it!

Last edited by Naaling; May 10th 2017 at 8:35 am.
Old May 10th 2017, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Inners are in & outers are out & never the twain shall meet to misquote Kipling.

The truth is that each side of the argument believe they're right and the other wrong and neither are going to change their minds but the fact is the referendum is done & the decision made so I'm not really sure there's any point in debating the subject.

Democracy is what it is and whether individuals like it or not, Trump is President, Le Pen isn't, Brexit has been decided upon and no amount of argument is going to alter those facts.
Old May 10th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Inners are in & outers are out & never the twain shall meet to misquote Kipling.

The truth is that each side of the argument believe they're right and the other wrong and neither are going to change their minds but the fact is the referendum is done & the decision made so I'm not really sure there's any point in debating the subject.

Democracy is what it is and whether individuals like it or not, Trump is President, Le Pen isn't, Brexit has been decided upon and no amount of argument is going to alter those facts.
Once again you don't read and understand. You just carry on with the same mindless waffle.

For your information, unlike you, I don't believe I'm right.
I recognize that I don't understand everything. If people present a logical. well researched argument supporting their ideas then I'm willing to change my views. In fact this is exactly what I want to do!
However, I also recognize that such an argument will never come from people like you, because you are actually foolish enough to believe that you are right!
Old May 10th 2017, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naaling
Once again you don't read and understand. You just carry on with the same mindless waffle.

For your information, unlike you, I don't believe I'm right.
I recognize that I don't understand everything. If people present a logical. well researched argument supporting their ideas then I'm willing to change my views. In fact this is exactly what I want to do!
However, I also recognize that such an argument will never come from people like you, because you are actually foolish enough to believe that you are right!
Well excuse me for daring to express an opinion! Bwahahahahahahaha!

We've all been through umpteen pages of the same old tosh on the TIO forum & it's still the same entrenched views being expressed & no-one has or will change their mind.

Like it or not, the issue has been decided so the remainers might just as well get used to what they can't change & hey, as I've said before, they can always exercise their democratic right to petition their elected representative for a rejoin referendum if they so choose.

I'd suggest they don't hold their breath on it happening any time soon though.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Well excuse me for daring to express an opinion! Bwahahahahahahaha!

Typical mfesharne knee jerk response when someone disagrees him

We've all been through umpteen pages of the same old tosh on the TIO forum & it's still the same entrenched views being expressed & no-one has or will change their mind.

Then why don't you just go away and leave us alone! By the way, most of that "same old tosh" was written by you!

Like it or not, the issue has been decided so the remainers might just as well get used to what they can't change & hey, as I've said before, they can always exercise their democratic right to petition their elected representative for a rejoin referendum if they so choose.

I'd suggest they don't hold their breath on it happening any time soon though.

Nothing to do with what we are discussing!!
Did you actually read and understand my post???

Last edited by Naaling; May 10th 2017 at 9:13 am.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you actually read and understand my post???
Yes & just to be sure, I re-read it again & it's still the same old infantile insult hurling Ad Hominem tosh you usually post.

You seem to think attacking the man rather than debating the issue wins you the argument whereas it just makes you appear childish, illogical & immature.

I'm sure that in real life, you're none of those things but if you want to debate or discuss I think you need to do so according to the rules of the forum & with politeness.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes & just to be sure, I re-read it again & it's still the same old infantile insult hurling Ad Hominem tosh you usually post.

Thank you for demonstrating your understanding of the rules of polite discourse Am I likely to ever get a specific response to the issues I raised?

You seem to think attacking the man rather than debating the issue wins you the argument whereas it just makes you appear childish, illogical & immature.

What did you just do in the previous paragraph?? Don't you realise that that is your strategy, and the reason why so many people have a problem with You.?

I'm sure that in real life, you're none of those things but if you want to debate or discuss I think you need to do so according to the rules of the forum & with politeness.

People have come on here and stated that in real life you are a decent bloke. There is nothing decent about this post
I think you just confirmed the issues I raised in post #19
Old May 10th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

You might like to read this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/portu...-forum-895845/

The lady has a very good point.

And with that, I'm off on this one because it's just going round & round in circles.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

You might like to read this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/portu...-forum-895845/

And with that, I'm off on this one because it's just going round & round in circles.
Goodbye. Please don't hurry back!
Old May 10th 2017, 10:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You state this:
We don't agree with you so you That is demeaning and not consistent with polite discourse.
But then you respond to someone else with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfesharne View Post

Thank you for demonstrating your understanding of the rules of polite discourse Am I likely to ever get a specific response to the issues I raised?

You seem to think attacking the man rather than debating the issue wins you the argument whereas it just makes you appear childish, illogical & immature.I think you just confirmed the issues I raised in post #19
and this:
Goodbye. Please don't hurry back!
Can you explain to me why you consider one to be demeaning but three of them are fine for you to use?

How about you rise above what you consider rude and demeaning and maybe then others will treat you accordingly. Rule 1 of the Site Rules:
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is “in it together”, please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others’ points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully … without insult or personal attack.

Instead of attacking back, try either being polite or using the report button.
Old May 10th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 10th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You state this:

But then you respond to someone else with this:

and this:

Can you explain to me why you consider one to be demeaning but three of them are fine for you to use?

How about you rise above what you consider rude and demeaning and maybe then others will treat you accordingly. Rule 1 of the Site Rules:
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is “in it together”, please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others’ points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully … without insult or personal attack.

Instead of attacking back, try either being polite or using the report button.
I think you need to read my response in context.

The three rolleyes were an obvious and deliberate exaggeration and therefore not genuinely intended. They were used to let mfesharne know how people feel when they receive them from him. I have never used them in any other context.

I don't believe that my comments have violated forum rules. At all times I have been careful to criticize his opinions and his behavior, and not him personally. I don't think he can say the same the same thing.

If my rolleye response was inappropriate then I apologise to the moderators. It won't happen again.
Old May 10th 2017, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to read my response in context.

The three rolleyes were an obvious and deliberate exaggeration and therefore not genuinely intended. They were used to let mfesharne know how people feel when they receive them from him. I have never used them in any other context.

I don't believe that my comments have violated forum rules. At all times I have been careful to criticize his opinions and his behavior, and not him personally. I don't think he can say the same the same thing.

If my rolleye response was inappropriate then I apologise to the moderators. It won't happen again.
Oh get a grip. The smilies are there to be used as required. My point was simple. Don't complain when someone uses one and then try using the same one on someone else and not expect a comment from someone. Either use them or don't, no concern of mine. Loads of people refuse to use any, that's fine too. It's a live like you wanna live kind of place.
Old May 10th 2017, 11:00 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's a live like you wanna live kind of place.
Yay!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.