Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal vs. Spain

Portugal vs. Spain

Old Oct 14th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Portugal vs. Spain

Hi everyone, I am hoping to move Portugal in a few years. Purely, out of interest, has anyone any opinions or done any research on how Spain stacks up against Portugal for living. I prefer Portugal but I would be interested to hear what other people think.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:49 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugal vs. Spain

Hi John.

Have a read.....http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432724
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:53 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done flanny
I couldnt think of anything new to say
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:45 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

The Portuguese are horrid. I'd move to Spain if I were you. They're a friendlier lot. Especially on the Costa del FishnChips.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
The Portuguese are horrid. I'd move to Spain if I were you. They're a friendlier lot. Especially on the Costa del FishnChips.
Thats what we have been feeding your team for tonight...... bye, see you in 4 years ;-))
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:51 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Thats what we have been feeding your team for tonight...... bye, see you in 4 years ;-))
Oh nasty. We did NOT poison the AB's.....
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

paulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nice

seriously for a second...
we have just settled in Portugal after 9 months of living in Malaga Province
(away from the Costas)

we think Portugal stands up very well and immediatelyt felt at home here in Central Portugal.. it soooooooooo! beautiful, great sights at every turn of the road. If you want the sun/sea/sand and lots of other north europeans
move to the ALGARVE, but if you want beauty only 40 mins from the coast try Central Portugal..

PT is much more relaxed than Spain, cost of living is not much different and you can get most things you would need here, we did finds the Spanish very friendly where we were but the Portuguese are even moreso! and very helpful...

Houses it seems are also generally smaller in Spain where i think good land now is at a premium.

you can certainly buy more here in PT than you will get in Spain for the same money..

good luck in your search!!! from one very happy couple here in Central Portugal!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:01 pm

It is beautiful in Central Portugal, where I hope to make my home soon
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Oh nasty. We did NOT poison the AB's.....
Change of plan, we delayed the beating for a few days. lol
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

Have to agree, having spent time in both spain and portugal, for us portugal comes out on top for loads of reasons, its a great place to live... but dont tell everyone we dont want to change it
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:12 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Which part of PT are you all calling Central???? Remember Lisbon is only just over a third of the way up the country. Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:51 pm

Anything north of Lisbon really........I'm hoping to get a place to the north, but not more than 45 mins to an hour away. Close enough to visit family often, and spend time in Lisboa - symphony, ballet, art, fado......can't wait.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

barbara preston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulnsoo
seriously for a second...
we have just settled in Portugal after 9 months of living in Malaga Province
(away from the Costas)

we think Portugal stands up very well and immediatelyt felt at home here in Central Portugal.. it soooooooooo! beautiful, great sights at every turn of the road. If you want the sun/sea/sand and lots of other north europeans
move to the ALGARVE, but if you want beauty only 40 mins from the coast try Central Portugal..

PT is much more relaxed than Spain, cost of living is not much different and you can get most things you would need here, we did finds the Spanish very friendly where we were but the Portuguese are even moreso! and very helpful...

Houses it seems are also generally smaller in Spain where i think good land now is at a premium.

you can certainly buy more here in PT than you will get in Spain for the same money..

good luck in your search!!! from one very happy couple here in Central Portugal!
I'm now in an utter, total dilemma! You may have seen my posts in the French and Spanish section but now I'm really confused. We currently live in Murcia, southern Spain but I can't tolerate the summer heat, flies etc any longer and so we are looking for another move, this time it has to be the last one! We have probably ruled out France but are seriously considering northern spain (Galicia) but we also know Portugal very well and this was always our first choice but property became very expensive there and we thought that the health service left a lot to be desired. However, things seem to be changing now and the latest info. we have about the health service is more favourable, apart from the incidence of mrsa infections which is higher than in Spain but lower than the UK. We are looking for somewhere green and cooler than here. From what I am reading on this thread, Portugal seems very favourable but also someone has commented about Galicia. Are the Spanish in that area different from those here in the south? Does anyone have experience of the Portuguese health service? We would qualify, once resident, for free health care under the reciprocal agreement with the Uk so would not need health insurance. Any info most gratefully appreciated.