British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   portugal or spain cant decide. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/portugal-spain-cant-decide-451606/)

Vegemite May 24th 2007 4:36 pm

Re: portugal or spain cant decide.

I reckon Portugal is the place to be, but it really depends on what your values and interests are.

Spain seems to have a lower cost of living but I dunno...Portugal has some sort of intangible feeling about it that Spain just hasn't got. Maybe it's the miles of Atlantic coast line that adorns Portugal that has gotten into the country's pysche and blood? Cheese and olives here before every meal also is very appealing, lol.

Good luck with your decision.

paulnsoo May 24th 2007 7:54 pm

if it helps we have just spent the last 9 months living in Spain
and have tried in VAIN to get the kind of house we wanted and the kind of price we can afford.

thought we'd have a look up in centra Portugal ( A PLACE WE ALWAYS FANCIED) and over Easter fell in love with Central Portugal.

its a little greener ( so maybe a little wetter too) but it has wonderful driving great forestry houses with space and a really friendly feel

and its cheaper day to day than Spain

and there are not millions of us Brits asking for the daily SUN newspaper.

Maybe i should say don't choose Portugal as we don't want it spoilt, but we have chosen it and can't wait to move there.

good luck!

Paulnsoo

Vegemite May 25th 2007 4:00 am

P,

Yes, I must agree with you about central Portugal - I am living in this area and I love the forested areas, the huge, huge cliffs and the fact that it isn't as touristy as the Algarve. The area north and south of Lisboa is beautiful too - I think it's value is really understated.

Kind regards,
Vegemite.

bejaboz May 25th 2007 8:46 am

We are nearing completion on buying a house near Ourique, after having had a villa in Menorca for nearly ten years.

We love Menorca, much quieter, pleasanter and less crowded in our opinion, than the other islands, but flights out of season are few and all from airports a long way from where we live in the UK, so we sold last year thinking we would find a place somewhere on the mainland that wasn't a new build or on an large urbanisation and was inland, but not too far from the coast and had regular UK flights from the South West.

We started looking in the Costa Blanca in June and worked our way down through Murcia, Almeria, Costa Tropical and eventually the Costa de la Luz.

We found two properties we really liked, both nearing completion with plenty of land and really nice houses, but in both cases the legalities were doubtful, no planning permission or land ownership unclear so we thought we'd try PT. We like Spain and have found the local people in Menorca where we lived friendly, but we had got fed up with driving to Luton at daft o'clock on a winter's morning.

So far, we have found the Portuguese friendly and although Ourique is an hour or so from the coast and Faro airport, the area is very attractive and not over crowded. From a water sport aspect, plenty of large lakes close by. More Brits than expected, but it's not a tourist area, so very different to the Algarve. When Beja airport opens, hopefully we could get flights to there and reduce the travelling.

Looking forward to spending lots of time there from June onwards. :thumbup:

BB

Cleri May 26th 2007 4:52 pm

They are both so different.
I love Portugal,we go over to Spain sometimes,but Im always pleased to get back,the language baffles me,so i dont feel comfortable ordering food etc,I really feel like a fish out of water over there.
But everyone is different,loads of people love Spain more than Portugal.
You need to spend time in both,for me I have been to lots of places all over the world,but Portugal was always and still is a place I knew I could live,it was just a feeling.
The people did it for me I think,so warm and friendly (generally:eek:)
I know Madrid is a big city,but the spanish there need to get their money back from the charm school they went to:D

Nobody can tell you what to do,you need to research it for yourself:thumbsup:

paulnsoo May 28th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4811881)
it is my understanding that houses that are bought in Portugal for less than 80,000 euros are not taxed by the government. Am I right?
coko:unsure:

not sure if anyone answered this question for you.

we were there recently too and are buying you are correct i believe that the first 82.000 euros is free of tax on a house purchase.

at least we are hoping so.!

davyrowy May 28th 2007 4:27 pm

hi just like to a big thanks to everybody who answered us , we are going to spain first in september one last time.
if we have no luck , or it doesnt feel right for us , portugal here we come.:thumbup:
i am looking for somewhere a bit bohemium ,where theres a lot of artist and musician types, as i want to write music with other people.
i guess like a lot of you have said , you just know when it feels right.
thanks again;)

TouristTrap May 28th 2007 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by davyrowy (Post 4842351)
hi just like to a big thanks to everybody who answered us , we are going to spain first in september one last time.
if we have no luck , or it doesnt feel right for us , portugal here we come.:thumbup:
i am looking for somewhere a bit bohemium ,where theres a lot of artist and musician types, as i want to write music with other people.
i guess like a lot of you have said , you just know when it feels right.
thanks again;)

That would be Alfama in Lisbon ;)

brodev May 28th 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4811881)
it is my understanding that houses that are bought in Portugal for less than 80,000 euros are not taxed by the government. Am I right?
coko:unsure:

Given to me by estate agent
all amounts in euros
under 81600 0% tax
from 81600 to 112200 2% tax deduct 1632
from 112200 to 153000 5% tax deduct 4998
from 153000 to 255000 7% tax deduct 8058
from 255000 to 510000 8% tax deduct 10608
over 510000 6% tax

eg. property price 100000 X 2% = 2000
2000 - 1632 = 368 therefore 368 euros tax to be paid

paulnsoo May 28th 2007 7:21 pm

THANKS FOR THAT

THATS FANTASTIC AND VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD
MUCH APPRECIATED..

PAULNSOO:)

TouristTrap May 28th 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by brodev (Post 4842852)
Given to me by estate agent
all amounts in euros
under 81600 0% tax
from 81600 to 112200 2% tax deduct 1632
from 112200 to 153000 5% tax deduct 4998
from 153000 to 255000 7% tax deduct 8058
from 255000 to 510000 8% tax deduct 10608
over 510000 6% tax

eg. property price 100000 X 2% = 2000
2000 - 1632 = 368 therefore 368 euros tax to be paid

Would this be when you sell it? Or it an annual tax?

paulnsoo May 28th 2007 7:26 pm

IT WASN'T MY ORIGINAL REPLY BUT I UNDERSTAND IT YO BE
WHEN YOU BUY.

THATS THE TAX YOU PAY

SO I WORKED OUT JUST NOW THAT
WE ARE BUYING FOR 150.000 EUROS
AND SO WILL PAY 5% (MINUS 4998) 2502 EUROS

HOPE I'M RIGHT COS THATS NOT BAD

brodev May 28th 2007 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4842965)
Would this be when you sell it? Or it an annual tax?

Sorry This is called IMT tax and it is payable on purchase