British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   portugal or spain cant decide. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/portugal-spain-cant-decide-451606/)

davyrowy May 19th 2007 10:39 pm

portugal or spain cant decide.

hi folks
just looking for some advice realy ,interested to know why you picked portugal over spain.
we have been looking to purchase a property in spain (costa blanca nrth) for some time,but after finding out about , land grab laws,black money purchasing,and high crime.
we are considering portugal now.does portugal have the same problems when
buying a property please help.
thanks.:thumbup:

TaviraTrog May 20th 2007 7:30 am

Re: portugal or spain cant decide.

We recently bought in Tavira, PT, after much consideration. We have friends and family in Spain (Alicante area) and have visited them and other parts of Spain on and off for the last twenty odd years. What has put us off Spain is that, basically, it is not-so-little England in the sun. If you want to be surrounded by English bars, restaurants and shops then it's the place for you.

Some areas of Portugal are well inhabited by Brit expat communities but most seem to have made some effort to integrate themselves into the Portuguese way of life rather than making it adapt to them.

Also, we feel the people themselves are friendlier and more helpful in Portugal than Spain.

I think you either get your property cheaper in Portugal or get more for the same money. But that could change. And we think that the build quality is better in Portugal

Hope that helps a bit:thumbup:

Mitzyboy May 20th 2007 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by davyrowy (Post 4803855)
hi folks
just looking for some advice realy ,interested to know why you picked portugal over spain.
we have been looking to purchase a property in spain (costa blanca nrth) for some time,but after finding out about , land grab laws,black money purchasing,and high crime.
we are considering portugal now.does portugal have the same problems when
buying a property please help.
thanks.:thumbup:

I never considered Portugal, but what I can do is comment on the reasons you state for not purchasing in CB North.

A Crime rates: I've been here in Oliva since last October. I'm not saying there is no crime, but I haven't seen any. I note with amusement how three or four Police can come out to a minor traffic accident, as if its the highlight of their day. There will always be crime wherever you go.

B Land Grab:
Yes there have been instances of LG in the past. and some horrendous stories. However if you are careful where you buy then you should not be effected. I wouldn't buy a villa on its own with land on the coastal strip. However in the towns villages & the urbs you are relatively safe. There are further representations at the moment with the EU as there are threats of funding being withdrawn.

C Black money: Part of the historical culture here and is being slowly clamped down on although a poster in the property industry stated that ots legal to have 20% black on a property purchase.
At the end of the day if you don't want to do it then don't do it. If the seller wants to sell then they will either have to accept or not. Its a buyers market in Spain at the moment.

:)

davyrowy May 20th 2007 2:43 pm

thanks very much to both of you for your great advice,very useful indeed thanks alot.:thumbup:

COKOLISO May 20th 2007 2:46 pm

I think Portugal is the place to go. I have been several times in both countries, I also lived in Spain for four months, and I will say that Portugal is so welcoming, so quiet. The towns are less touristy and more accomodating to everyday people. ALso, I think it is a country more geared to family with children. Spain, including the islands are over populated, lots of bars, many unnecessary distractions... Viva Portugal;)

davyrowy May 20th 2007 2:57 pm

i think portugal is definitely worth a look now,ive always been a bit disappointed with spain in the past,im going to take a look at both places again this summer and decide then.will keep you posted whatever we decide .
feedback much appreciated thanks .:thumbup:

jdr May 20th 2007 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4806078)
I think Portugal is the place to go. I have been several times in both countries, I also lived in Spain for four months, and I will say that Portugal is so welcoming, so quiet. The towns are less touristy and more accomodating to everyday people. ALso, I think it is a country more geared to family with children. Spain, including the islands are over populated, lots of bars, many unnecessary distractions... Viva Portugal;)

Yeah, but you didn`t know how warm the sea was in Portugal ;-)

crispy May 20th 2007 4:38 pm

There is also black money in Portugal, I have friends that have lost properties because they would not pay it....

CAROL ELIZABETH May 20th 2007 4:51 pm

Hi there

We have always liked northern Costa Blanca and about ten years ago nearly bought an apartment there but the black money issue which we had never heard of before put us off - and then the people would not budge on that. We ended up buying a holiday home in the UK which we have recently sold to buy a place abroad. In the past ten years we have holidayed regularly on the Algarve and we love it - we even bought a timeshare in Vilamoura. When we started looking for a place to buy we thought the Tavira area the best but in fact we have ended up buying in Spain just across the border at Ayamonte - on the new Costa Esuri area. There is a strand on the Spanish site just for this new build. This area is a mass of cranes at the moment but it has lots of character - masses of potential and the best of both Spain (Seville in just over an hour) and you can get to most of the Algarve's best bits in an hour - Atlantic in less than two). It might be worth a visit. There could however be different tax rules about Portugal that I do not know about, but we are not unhappy about the Spanish choice after all - and are beginning to get to grips with the language - not sure about Portuguese!

Carol

Mattiespeople May 20th 2007 5:44 pm

Go check out the Western Algarve - Atlantic coast - Largos and north. Sure you will like what you find. Visit Vale Da Telha - it has 2 fantastic beaches good value Villa's a mix of locals and Brits.
Good Luck

Marbella guy May 20th 2007 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4806078)

Problem with Portugal is its full of wierdos and peadophiles.

Just check some of the posts on the Missing girl

davyrowy May 20th 2007 6:54 pm

what a stupid comment to make( marbella guy).i dont think you can generalize on a country ,there are weirdos everywhere.

TouristTrap May 20th 2007 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Marbella guy (Post 4806491)

I agree. All those foreigners who come to our shores with their criminal ways.

Mitzyboy May 20th 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by davyrowy (Post 4806645)
there are weirdos everywhere.

and more than our fair share on here :)

Mattiespeople May 20th 2007 9:50 pm

Well said every one!

TouristTrap May 21st 2007 2:02 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4806338)
There is also black money in Portugal, I have friends that have lost properties because they would not pay it....

What is this black money?

jdr May 21st 2007 6:54 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4807657)
What is this black money?

It is where you buy a house that is worth 100,000€ for 80,000 and pay 20,000 cash.
The seller just declares and pays taxes on the 80,000, this is alright if you get the same when you sell, if not you get stuffed for 20,000 extra capital gains tax on it.
Although allegedly illegal, it has been common practice in Spain for years.

gedscottish May 21st 2007 9:52 am

Twat! :frown:

COKOLISO May 21st 2007 10:16 am

there is no connection between liking the country and the temperature of the ocean, except for sarcastic people looking for attention. I know what beaches are 'cause living in the US, I have experience many beaches in the Americas...including the Caribbean. :thumbdown:

Arightpair May 21st 2007 11:16 am

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4808940)
there is no connection between liking the country and the temperature of the ocean, except for sarcastic people looking for attention. I know what beaches are 'cause living in the US, I have experience many beaches in the Americas...including the Caribbean. :thumbdown:

So called "black money" has been stopped in Portugal with the rearrangment of taxes in the last 2 years, they will recharge you in arrears if your solicitor underdeclares.
Manny

crispy May 21st 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Arightpair (Post 4809163)
So called "black money" has been stopped in Portugal with the rearrangment of taxes in the last 2 years, they will recharge you in arrears if your solicitor underdeclares.
Manny

Hopefully this is correct, but it was still live and kicking this time last year, really hope this rearrangement of taxes sorts it out. We had to pay black money for our house in Spain, at the time of buying it was the norm and happened quite openly in the banks and notary office. When we sell we will loose out as we will not be asking for black money, it is best to get things sorted and to be as legal as legal can be.

derbyflan May 21st 2007 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by gedscottish (Post 4808851)
Twat! :frown:

Ditto!

Arightpair May 21st 2007 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4809403)
Hopefully this is correct, but it was still live and kicking this time last year, really hope this rearrangement of taxes sorts it out. We had to pay black money for our house in Spain, at the time of buying it was the norm and happened quite openly in the banks and notary office. When we sell we will loose out as we will not be asking for black money, it is best to get things sorted and to be as legal as legal can be.

From experience in Portugal I can tell you this is correct and the tax man in Portugal decides if you have underdeclared.

I note you are from Spain which of course runs completely different laws to Portugal. I only know that the Portugese are hotting up big time on tax evasion.
Elaine

crispy May 21st 2007 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Arightpair (Post 4809982)
From experience in Portugal I can tell you this is correct and the tax man in Portugal decides if you have underdeclared.

I note you are from Spain which of course runs completely different laws to Portugal. I only know that the Portugese are hotting up big time on tax evasion.
Elaine

Yes, I live in Spain at the moment, but my house is on the market as a move to PT is planned, have spotted a house near Tornada on the Silver Coast keeping exact location a secret in case that clerigogirl grabs it before I do.

If you don't mind me asking what are your plans?

Arightpair May 21st 2007 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4810018)
Yes, I live in Spain at the moment, but my house is on the market as a move to PT is planned, have spotted a house near Tornada on the Silver Coast keeping exact location a secret in case that clerigogirl grabs it before I do.

If you don't mind me asking what are your plans?

Hi
Yes built in VdT married to a Portugeezer will sell in the next couple of years to move north to Alentejo or around Obidos/Caldas area - we looked at Chiclana but my husband decided he really did not want to live in Spain in any shape or form.
Elaine

TouristTrap May 21st 2007 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Arightpair (Post 4810905)
Hi
Yes built in VdT married to a Portugeezer will sell in the next couple of years to move north to Alentejo or around Obidos/Caldas area - we looked at Chiclana but my husband decided he really did not want to live in Spain in any shape or form.
Elaine

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

crispy May 21st 2007 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Arightpair (Post 4810905)
Hi
Elaine

I have a friend who is also married to a portugeezer (great word) they have a holiday home in Portimao but will be selling up at the end of the year to go north to Alentejo where they hope to take early retirement (she does but he is still a bit young). Hey Obidos/Caldas we will be piratically neighbors:p Tornanda is just outside Caldas on the way to Sao Martinho, my friends hubby wants to live in Spain but he said his Portuguese family would be over the boarder looking for:eek:

You are most probs on to a good thing, there are quite a few Brits wanting to move from Chiclana up into Portugal, Chiclana has a lot to offer in some aspects and can be a comfortable place to live if you have the money.

COKOLISO May 21st 2007 11:23 pm

it is my understanding that houses that are bought in Portugal for less than 80,000 euros are not taxed by the government. Am I right?
coko:unsure:

Arightpair May 22nd 2007 8:06 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4811651)
I have a friend who is also married to a portugeezer (great word) they have a holiday home in Portimao but will be selling up at the end of the year to go north to Alentejo where they hope to take early retirement (she does but he is still a bit young). Hey Obidos/Caldas we will be piratically neighbors:p Tornanda is just outside Caldas on the way to Sao Martinho, my friends hubby wants to live in Spain but he said his Portuguese family would be over the boarder looking for:eek:

You are most probs on to a good thing, there are quite a few Brits wanting to move from Chiclana up into Portugal, Chiclana has a lot to offer in some aspects and can be a comfortable place to live if you have the money.

I dont know if Richard from Azul Properties is registered on this site, but he is on Expatfocus.com and is extremely knowledgeable he would almost certainly reply to the above question.
Elaine

Cleri May 22nd 2007 2:40 pm

If you are going to call us names,please get the spelling right on both,otherwise it makes you look uneducated and stupid,which of course we know you are not:rolleyes:

Vegemite May 24th 2007 4:36 pm

I reckon Portugal is the place to be, but it really depends on what your values and interests are.

Spain seems to have a lower cost of living but I dunno...Portugal has some sort of intangible feeling about it that Spain just hasn't got. Maybe it's the miles of Atlantic coast line that adorns Portugal that has gotten into the country's pysche and blood? Cheese and olives here before every meal also is very appealing, lol.

Good luck with your decision.

paulnsoo May 24th 2007 7:54 pm

if it helps we have just spent the last 9 months living in Spain
and have tried in VAIN to get the kind of house we wanted and the kind of price we can afford.

thought we'd have a look up in centra Portugal ( A PLACE WE ALWAYS FANCIED) and over Easter fell in love with Central Portugal.

its a little greener ( so maybe a little wetter too) but it has wonderful driving great forestry houses with space and a really friendly feel

and its cheaper day to day than Spain

and there are not millions of us Brits asking for the daily SUN newspaper.

Maybe i should say don't choose Portugal as we don't want it spoilt, but we have chosen it and can't wait to move there.

good luck!

Paulnsoo

Vegemite May 25th 2007 4:00 am

P,

Yes, I must agree with you about central Portugal - I am living in this area and I love the forested areas, the huge, huge cliffs and the fact that it isn't as touristy as the Algarve. The area north and south of Lisboa is beautiful too - I think it's value is really understated.

Kind regards,
Vegemite.

bejaboz May 25th 2007 8:46 am

We are nearing completion on buying a house near Ourique, after having had a villa in Menorca for nearly ten years.

We love Menorca, much quieter, pleasanter and less crowded in our opinion, than the other islands, but flights out of season are few and all from airports a long way from where we live in the UK, so we sold last year thinking we would find a place somewhere on the mainland that wasn't a new build or on an large urbanisation and was inland, but not too far from the coast and had regular UK flights from the South West.

We started looking in the Costa Blanca in June and worked our way down through Murcia, Almeria, Costa Tropical and eventually the Costa de la Luz.

We found two properties we really liked, both nearing completion with plenty of land and really nice houses, but in both cases the legalities were doubtful, no planning permission or land ownership unclear so we thought we'd try PT. We like Spain and have found the local people in Menorca where we lived friendly, but we had got fed up with driving to Luton at daft o'clock on a winter's morning.

So far, we have found the Portuguese friendly and although Ourique is an hour or so from the coast and Faro airport, the area is very attractive and not over crowded. From a water sport aspect, plenty of large lakes close by. More Brits than expected, but it's not a tourist area, so very different to the Algarve. When Beja airport opens, hopefully we could get flights to there and reduce the travelling.

Looking forward to spending lots of time there from June onwards. :thumbup:

BB

Cleri May 26th 2007 4:52 pm

They are both so different.
I love Portugal,we go over to Spain sometimes,but Im always pleased to get back,the language baffles me,so i dont feel comfortable ordering food etc,I really feel like a fish out of water over there.
But everyone is different,loads of people love Spain more than Portugal.
You need to spend time in both,for me I have been to lots of places all over the world,but Portugal was always and still is a place I knew I could live,it was just a feeling.
The people did it for me I think,so warm and friendly (generally:eek:)
I know Madrid is a big city,but the spanish there need to get their money back from the charm school they went to:D

Nobody can tell you what to do,you need to research it for yourself:thumbsup:

paulnsoo May 28th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4811881)
it is my understanding that houses that are bought in Portugal for less than 80,000 euros are not taxed by the government. Am I right?

not sure if anyone answered this question for you.

we were there recently too and are buying you are correct i believe that the first 82.000 euros is free of tax on a house purchase.

at least we are hoping so.!

davyrowy May 28th 2007 4:27 pm

hi just like to a big thanks to everybody who answered us , we are going to spain first in september one last time.
if we have no luck , or it doesnt feel right for us , portugal here we come.:thumbup:
i am looking for somewhere a bit bohemium ,where theres a lot of artist and musician types, as i want to write music with other people.
i guess like a lot of you have said , you just know when it feels right.
thanks again;)

TouristTrap May 28th 2007 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by davyrowy (Post 4842351)
hi just like to a big thanks to everybody who answered us , we are going to spain first in september one last time.
if we have no luck , or it doesnt feel right for us , portugal here we come.:thumbup:
i am looking for somewhere a bit bohemium ,where theres a lot of artist and musician types, as i want to write music with other people.
i guess like a lot of you have said , you just know when it feels right.
thanks again;)

That would be Alfama in Lisbon ;)

brodev May 28th 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by COKOLISO (Post 4811881)

Given to me by estate agent
all amounts in euros
under 81600 0% tax
from 81600 to 112200 2% tax deduct 1632
from 112200 to 153000 5% tax deduct 4998
from 153000 to 255000 7% tax deduct 8058
from 255000 to 510000 8% tax deduct 10608
over 510000 6% tax

eg. property price 100000 X 2% = 2000
2000 - 1632 = 368 therefore 368 euros tax to be paid

paulnsoo May 28th 2007 7:21 pm