Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The Portugal Saloon

The Portugal Saloon

Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Portugal Saloon

hi
not anymore - i live on the Alentejo coast now
They introduced parking meters for the summer season a couple of years ago so its sometimes possible to park

nice town - but much nicer beaches a few miles away

enjoy your visit
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I love most about PT is the lack of parking meters. Cool Hand Luke had the right idea on how to deal with them.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Does anyone know the reason for the number of stars on the federal state of Europe's flag?
I thought it denoted the original no of members of the EU
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I thought it denoted the original no of members of the EU
Ok, name the original 12....
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, name the original 12....
Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Oh. Did you mean of the EU?
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I love most about PT is the lack of parking meters. Cool Hand Luke had the right idea on how to deal with them.
the nearest paid parking to where i live is 40 minutes away - as is the nearest yellow line - and its there for a good reason
but in the town with paid parking in the centre theres 10 times as much free parking just a few minutes away

When i drive to Evora 1 hour 40 minutes - i dont pass through a single town with any restricted parking on the whole journey
Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: The Portugal Saloon

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Oh. Did you mean of the EU?

Perfect answer, Pmsl

Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:44 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know the reason for the number of stars on the federal state of Europe's flag?
Is it because 12 is a sublime number and the only other of those would necessitate a much bigger flag?

Or maybe something to do with the Labours of Hercules?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:55 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have a question. Do you get decent thunder storms in your various parts of Portugal? The query has arisen in my head because one is now rumbling away in my area but unfortunately for me they are rarely good because they remain the other side of the mountain that is behind my town.

Rosemary
Yes!

We get some here that can go on for days, on and off. Also some very violent to the point where if I hear one on the way, I disconnect the phone and TV aerial from their sockets, having lost one of each in spectacular fashion to surges resulting from lightning strikes in the past. We've had quite a number of loud bangs close by during thunderstorms and we frequently lose power for indeterminate periods. And we often get sheet and forked lightning simultaneously, which is quite a sight.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Yes!

We get some here that can go on for days, on and off. Also some very violent to the point where if I hear one on the way, I disconnect the phone and TV aerial from their sockets, having lost one of each in spectacular fashion to surges resulting from lightning strikes in the past. We've had quite a number of loud bangs close by during thunderstorms and we frequently lose power for indeterminate periods. And we often get sheet and forked lightning simultaneously, which is quite a sight.
Now that sounds like perfect electrical storms to me, I love them.

So are you near to the coast or inland, open land or top of a mountain.

The best electrical storm that I have ever experienced was in East Sussex but one in Ibiza came a close second so I anticipated there being good ones where I live but as I said I think that the mountain protects my town.

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Replying to why is there 12 stars on the EU flag

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Is it because 12 is a sublime number and the only other of those would necessitate a much bigger flag?
Ummmm, rather than make the flag larger, could they not make the stars smaller (or does this define the way the EU thinks)

[hands in pockets Carv, it wasn't a Brexit joke]
Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:52 am
Polished expat

They could, I suppose .......

I'm not sure what size it would need to be to accomodate the extra stars and have them still visible to the naked eye, though.

Plus people would find it much more difficult to ask "Why are there 60865556702383789896703717342431696226578307733518 85970528324860512791691264 stars on the EU flag?"

That's bureaucracy in action for you - people don't like it but sometimes there's a good reason
Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:53 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Rosemary
So are you near to the coast or inland, open land or top of a mountain.
Nestling in the hills about 40km from the Atlantic coast. We do get some spectacular and occasionally rather frightening weather here!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I always used to think that the stars represented the members of the union but the real reason for the 12 stars has surprised me.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1196...hing-do-europe

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:09 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoff
My parents live in Porches and my father says that he had not see weather like the "Tornado" you speak of since 1945!

Do you live in Carvoeiro? Mom (probably mum for most here) and I used to take the bus from Lagôa to Carvoeiro very often in the 60s to go to the beach.

I've been back to Portugal many times and drove through Carvoeiro but haven't been on the beach since the 60's. I have to try this summer, but parking is impossible.
Best place to Park is above the town near Algar seco and take the new cliff top walkway into the centre.
Easy walking and spectacular views.
The locals do go out if their way to inform visitors when they park in the wrong place but all too often get ignored.
Resulting in a clamp and fine for the offender.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.