The Portugal Saloon

The Portugal Saloon

Old May 14th 2017, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Portugal Saloon

& this made me really giggle too.

Originally Posted by GeniB
I was overwhelmed, but with the distinctive 'cat pee' smell of hot privet hedges.
I don't think this was the effect the Nasrid kings were looking for
I'm so glad I looked into here this morning.

Some wonderful posts and good smiles as a bonus.
Old May 14th 2017, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Someone must have pressed my giggle box this sunny New Zealand morning.

This.

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
- i don't believe they were renowned as stinkers

You guys. I love you right now.

I'm cracked up over my keyboard . The idea of it all.
Old May 15th 2017, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
But this is an Apple product - surely you have to connect it with a cable that nobody else uses and upload via iTunes, paying for the privilege....
You have to pay for iTunes??
Wow, I must have a big bill waiting for me somewhere
Old May 15th 2017, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Rua Mestre Guilherme Camarinha, Porto ("mestreh geellyerme camareenya", in case you don't know - he was a painter)

Google really is your friend! https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MTE+Guilherme+Camarinha&oq=MTE+Guilherme+ Camarinha&aqs=chrome..69i57.1129j0j7&{google:bookm arkBarPinned}sourceid=chrome&{googlemniboxStartM arginParameter}ie=UTF-8

Good Luck
Thanks maclaim. Now I can pronounce it too.
Old May 15th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

The evidence I have is taken from the same period castle that Katherine of Aragon lived in(and wrote about) Ludlow castle. She was the first Royal person to demand a bath to be brought to her room..and servants had to first boil and then haul buckets of water to her room. They thought she was mad and bound to die from contact with water. I don't know what period your wife studied..but I'm taking Katherine's word for it.. sorry.
Ludlows a lovely place - the Welsh borders are beautiful
Ludlow had basic plumbing - Hampton court had fantastic plumbing for the age
So Katherine invented the first en-suite - good for her
the general population thought contact with water when you were ill was bad for you - one of the big killers in that era was 'sweating sickness' which appeared in historic terms not long after the 'black death'
But the evidence seems to point to some basic hygeine as the norm at other times - what was definite was that everybody believed washing hair was bad for you - so nobody every did it

In 1568, Ambroise Pare, the royal surgeon who lived to see the reigns of Henry II, Francis II, Charles IX and Henry III, warned that when this diabolical substance came near an unsuspecting victim, “the flesh and the whole disposition of the body are softened and the pores open, and as a result, pestiferous vapour can rapidly enter the body and cause sudden death, as has frequently been observed.” - he was talking about water of course
just to bring the thread back to Granada
The 'real' stinkers in that era were the Catholics who believed that bathing and being naked were a form of blasphemy
In Spain, the Christian doctrines taught that bathing was a corrupt practice that could only lead to nakedness which was considered a blasphemy potentially punished by death at the stake at that time.
After the conquest of Granada, the Moors not only had to give up their religion to survive the Inquisition, they also had to give up bathing.
Isabella and Ferdinand ordered the Moorish baths to be destroyed and bathing was strictly forbidden - this continued - Phillip II banned the remaining bath houses throughout Spain in 1576.
Old May 15th 2017, 8:59 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Thanks maclaim. Now I can pronounce it too.
You're welcome - I hope your wife is feeling better.

Porto is a great city, I used to visit regularly, but haven't been for the past few years. There was a small restaurant down behind the old Palacio da Bolsa, "O Bom Talher" - we were staying in the Hotel da Bolsa and asked the staff where they ate .... when one called the food "divinal", we were hooked! Prices were good, wine was excellent (I ended up buying a case!) and the owner was friendly. That was a good few years back, but according to Trip Advisor it seems to have maintained that standard.
Old May 15th 2017, 9:10 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome - I hope your wife is feeling better.

Porto is a great city, I used to visit regularly, but haven't been for the past few years. There was a small restaurant down behind the old Palacio da Bolsa, "O Bom Talher" - we were staying in the Hotel da Bolsa and asked the staff where they ate .... when one called the food "divinal", we were hooked! Prices were good, wine was excellent (I ended up buying a case!) and the owner was friendly. That was a good few years back, but according to Trip Advisor it seems to have maintained that standard.
That is my policy too, always eat where the locals eat and where they recommend.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2017, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
That is my policy too, always eat where the locals eat and where they recommend.

Rosemary
Another trick I find useful in a new area is to look in the car parks for builder's trucks because they always seem to find the best food at the best prices.
Old May 15th 2017, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
Ludlows a lovely place - the Welsh borders are beautiful
Ludlow had basic plumbing - Hampton court had fantastic plumbing for the age
So Katherine invented the first en-suite - good for her
the general population thought contact with water when you were ill was bad for you - one of the big killers in that era was 'sweating sickness' which appeared in historic terms not long after the 'black death'
But the evidence seems to point to some basic hygeine as the norm at other times - what was definite was that everybody believed washing hair was bad for you - so nobody every did it

In 1568, Ambroise Pare, the royal surgeon who lived to see the reigns of Henry II, Francis II, Charles IX and Henry III, warned that when this diabolical substance came near an unsuspecting victim, “the flesh and the whole disposition of the body are softened and the pores open, and as a result, pestiferous vapour can rapidly enter the body and cause sudden death, as has frequently been observed.” - he was talking about water of course
just to bring the thread back to Granada
The 'real' stinkers in that era were the Catholics who believed that bathing and being naked were a form of blasphemy
In Spain, the Christian doctrines taught that bathing was a corrupt practice that could only lead to nakedness which was considered a blasphemy potentially punished by death at the stake at that time.
After the conquest of Granada, the Moors not only had to give up their religion to survive the Inquisition, they also had to give up bathing.
Isabella and Ferdinand ordered the Moorish baths to be destroyed and bathing was strictly forbidden - this continued - Phillip II banned the remaining bath houses throughout Spain in 1576.
That was great information carv.. First the Romans tried to clean us up...and failed.. Then the muslims...and failed...Poor Katherine's young husband Arthur died of the sweating sickness after only 5 months of marriage.at Ludlow castle . You would have thought they might have wondered why it was him and not Katherine, if water was so dangerous
Old May 15th 2017, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Rambler, climber or tea bread... and I thought a rose was a rose by any name...
Thanks for that, I guess Ill have to do more research and try to figure out what it is.
Not too difficult.. If it has long trailing bits trying to climb up stuff.. it's a climber.. A rambler is a smaller finer looking sort with not such vigorous thick stems of the climber... The Hybrid tea will just be a sort of bush...
Old May 15th 2017, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zoff
http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...nsertimage.gif

From the Reply to Thread page, scroll down to Attach Files and click on Manage Attachments. From Upload File from your Computer, click Choose File, Choose your file from the Finder and click Upload. You will then see your file in Current Attachments (still in the Manage Attachments page) control-click on the file name and select Copy Link (from a standard Mac popup list). Back in the message writing area click on http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...nsertimage.gif and paste your image link.

Its easier than it looks.
Agggghhhhhh It might be easy for you Zoff but it refused to work for me
I got as far as the last line 'click on http etc (as I decided to reply to you I had two lines of http to choose from!!) Neither address responded to a click..?

.I did however manage to download a humungous full screen photo of the Alhambra in all it's glory. It would have taken up an entire page of threads...had it appeared... God knows where it is now?
Old May 15th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Agggghhhhhh It might be easy for you Zoff but it refused to work for me
I got as far as the last line 'click on http etc (as I decided to reply to you I had two lines of http to choose from!!) Neither address responded to a click..?

.I did however manage to download a humungous full screen photo of the Alhambra in all it's glory. It would have taken up an entire page of threads...had it appeared... God knows where it is now?
There shouldn't be a link after "click on..." it should be the icon from the Message reply window toolbar for for inserting an image.

Maybe this screen video will help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twxmk32q5p...image.mov?dl=0
Old May 16th 2017, 7:53 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting inquest of the Eurovision voting. The UK entry scored 111 points which consisted of 99 points from the juries and only 12 points from the public vote.

Only four countries gave any points - Ireland (4 points), Malta (4 points), Australia (3 points) and of the non-English speaking countries only Spain gave anything (1 point).

The public vote is a popularity contest, draw your own conclusions..........
Old May 16th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting inquest of the Eurovision voting. draw your own conclusions..........
Oh God, please tell me you didn't just suggest what I think you did
Old May 16th 2017, 8:08 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Oh God, please tell me you didn't just suggest what I think you did
Yes - the Israelis don't like you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.