Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal Residency certificate, help/info for british

Portugal Residency certificate, help/info for british

Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

corleycraig147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portugal Residency certificate, help/info for british

Do all Camara's ask for proof of income or saving for means to live?
If so what would be sufficient in terms of earnings or savings for a couple who are renting.?

Also is it true that you have to have a certificate of residency to obtain Broadband in a property?

Many thanks, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugal Residency certificate, help/info for british

simples first answer is no second answer no
Old Jul 14th 2020, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

i was asked to provide a Portuguese Bank statement (net copy) without balances, just to show continual movement over previous 90 days.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
i was asked to provide a Portuguese Bank statement (net copy) without balances, just to show continual movement over previous 90 days.
i wasnt so it depends on the Camara,if the OP states where then perhaps someone from that location can help
Old Jul 14th 2020, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by santaanita
i wasnt so it depends on the Camara,if the OP states where then perhaps someone from that location can help

More than likely to be central.

Abrantes, Tomar, Santarem.

Thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by corleycraig147
More than likely to be central.

Abrantes, Tomar, Santarem.

Thanks.
well afraid that is probally 3 different camaras so you will have to ask them,as i said i was not asked but 10 k up the road in lousa they might
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

If you are EU citizen (even UK at the moment) you have right of residency, so they have no need to ask for guarantee of funds AFAIK. Alvaiazere and Tomar did not ask. We provided passports for ID as EU, bank docs to show address in Portugal as we did it at the end of the 90 days so were already established at temporary (rental contract 3 months), then permanent address (purchase "deeds" docs), hence use of two different Camaras!
Folk from elsewhere apply for residency under different circumstances/provisos, about which I can't help and I believe they may/do have to supply guarantees of funds?

Broadband - if you are in rental accommodation it will be provided (or not) by the owner of the property. If your own property, you will need NIF, ID eg passport, evidence of it being your address eg electric bill or purchase deeds, and choose the best provider in your area (it can vary widely though fibre-optic cable is available in most areas now - not all, so check - satellite can prove rather expensive!)
Old Jul 20th 2020, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
If you are EU citizen (even UK at the moment) you have right of residency, so they have no need to ask for guarantee of funds AFAIK. Alvaiazere and Tomar did not ask. We provided passports for ID as EU, bank docs to show address in Portugal as we did it at the end of the 90 days so were already established at temporary (rental contract 3 months), then permanent address (purchase "deeds" docs), hence use of two different Camaras!
Folk from elsewhere apply for residency under different circumstances/provisos, about which I can't help and I believe they may/do have to supply guarantees of funds?

Broadband - if you are in rental accommodation it will be provided (or not) by the owner of the property. If your own property, you will need NIF, ID eg passport, evidence of it being your address eg electric bill or purchase deeds, and choose the best provider in your area (it can vary widely though fibre-optic cable is available in most areas now - not all, so check - satellite can prove rather expensive!)
This is not quite right - the freedom of movement rule is not absolute. See this from the EU site - basically countries may request proof of self sufficiency if not looking for work

Reporting your presence and registering your residence

During the first 3 months of your stay in your new country, as an EU citizen, you cannot be required to apply for a residence document confirming your right to live there - although in some countries you may have to report your presence upon arrival.

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:
  • proof of comprehensive health insurance
  • proof you can support yourself without needing social assistance benefits: resources may come from any source, including from a third person.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
This is not quite right - the freedom of movement rule is not absolute. See this from the EU site - basically countries may request proof of self sufficiency if not looking for work

Reporting your presence and registering your residence

During the first 3 months of your stay in your new country, as an EU citizen, you cannot be required to apply for a residence document confirming your right to live there - although in some countries you may have to report your presence upon arrival.

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:
  • proof of comprehensive health insurance
  • proof you can support yourself without needing social assistance benefits: resources may come from any source, including from a third person.
Very true and I just posted this in another thread. https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htmAs an EU national, you can live in any EU country if you have:
  • comprehensive health insurance cover in your host country
  • sufficient income to live there without needing income support.
Income could come from a pension, if you are a pensioner, or any other source of revenue.

Can you be requested to leave or be deported?

You may live in the other EU country as long as you continue to meet the conditions for residence. If you no longer do so, the national authorities may require you to leave.

In exceptional cases, your host country can deport you on grounds of public policy or public security - but only if it can prove you represent a serious threat.

The deportation decision or the request to leave must be given to you in writing. It must state all the reasons for your deportation and specify how you can appeal and by when.

Permanent residence

If you have lived legally, meeting the conditions to stay in another EU country, for a continuous period of 5 years you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence there. This means that you can stay in the country as long as you want.

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:
  • temporary absences (less than 6 months per year)
  • longer absences for compulsory military service
  • one absence of 12 consecutive months, for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, work, vocational training or a posting to another country
You can lose your right to permanent residence if you live outside the country for more than 2 consecutive years.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 10:46 am
Just Joined

I'll stick to the original and down to Earth replies posted previously thanks folks. It appears they talk more from genuine, personal experience and reality rather than do gooder stuff copied and pasted from websites.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick to the original and down to Earth replies posted previously thanks folks. It appears they talk more from genuine, personal experience and reality rather than do gooder stuff copied and pasted from websites.
Well you can ignore if you wish. Fact is that you are only a permanent resident after 5 years and any Camara can decide what what would be sufficient in terms of earnings or savings for a couple. Those with a pension won't have to worry and the requirements are so low. Reality is that any EU country can require you to leave if you're not a permanent resident and don't meet the conditions. In most cases even the homeless from other EU countries are tolerated but technically they could ask them to leave.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 20th 2020 at 11:47 am.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 11:49 am
Just Joined

As I say I'll stick to the replies posted by the folks with a genuine experience. I sense you're a bit of do gooder with a negative spin. It was just a few general questions I asked and I have sufficient answers previously.

Thank you.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I say I'll stick to the replies posted by the folks with a genuine experience. I sense you're a bit of do gooder with a negative spin. It was just a few general questions I asked and I have sufficient answers previously.

Thank you.
You're welcome. It wasn't related to you personally and more for the general information, as many Brits believe they can just secure a rental in Portugal today and will be able to remain.
The answer is always yes as long as you meet the requirements but I did not reply to you personally

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 20th 2020 at 11:58 am.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 12:59 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
...Fact is that you are only a permanent resident after 5 years and any Camara can decide what what would be sufficient in terms of earnings or savings for a couple.

Câmaras may apply their discretion, up to a point and according to circumstances, on the matter of whether and how to satisfy themselves that the applicant for a registration of residence certificate has sufficient resources. They most certainly do not determine "what would be sufficient". What is sufficient is the minimum required by law, the principles of which are stipulated in EU regulations and transposed into national law.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric

Câmaras may apply their discretion, up to a point and according to circumstances, on the matter of whether and how to satisfy themselves that the applicant for a registration of residence certificate has sufficient resources. They most certainly do not determine "what would be sufficient". What is sufficient is the minimum required by law, the principles of which are stipulated in EU regulations and transposed into national law.
Well they can decide if below the minimum required is still enough for them.
The EU law that defines ‘sufficient financial resources’ reads:
‘Member States may not lay down a fixed amount which they regard as ‘sufficient resources’, but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the host Member State become eligible for social assistance, or, where this criterion is not applicable, higher than the minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.