Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Is Portugal now open to A] UK nationals; B] USA nationals

Is Portugal now open to A] UK nationals; B] USA nationals

Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:34 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Portugal now open to A] UK nationals; B] USA nationals

Does anyone know for sure if ( from 15th June ) Portugal will be accepting visitors from A) the UK; B) the USA ?
If not, is there a date specified for this to happen ?
Old Jun 13th 2020, 7:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Portugal now open to A] UK nationals; B] USA nationals

As far as I'm aware, they have not at any stage been prevented from visiting, UK and US both being on this list (subject to reciprocity) :

Can I travel to Portugal?
Old Jun 19th 2020, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point

This also confuses me, so can UK (or US) nationals (as tourists) just come to Portugal and have a holiday yet? I found the info for many other countries easily but Portugal still has me confused.

This is what's posted on the EU official site but its clear as mud to me (does it means any nationality flying from the UK, etc? Surely not?).

"Only allowed for: nationals of EU27, Schengen Area countries (Liechsteinsten, Norway, Switzerland and Iceland) and their family members, passengers on flights from UK, Brazil and CPLP, USA, Canada, Venezuela and South-Africa. Suspension of visa processing for the remaining countries."

Last edited by June W; Jun 19th 2020 at 8:12 am.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point

There are still strict border controls in place until July 1 when everything should reopen. We made the crossing last week by car from the UK. Waved through by French immigration checks and Spanish as we were able to prove we were in transit fo Portugal. Needed to show residency certificates on the border at Vila Real on the A22. Without a residency certificate, I am fairly sure we would not have been allowed in.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 6:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

That is what applies if you are entering via the land border.

Arrivals by air (from countries other than Spain, from where there are no flights) are a different matter.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish / Portuguese border will remain closed until the 1st of July.

This is at the request of the Portuguese authorities.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they had kept the bridges closed between Lisbon and the Algarve.
After having only 4 cases of Covid 19 in Lagos. Some utter idiots decided to hold a massive party in a local village. We now have 60 cases confirmed and over 1,200 people tested There was another party in Lagos . Plus both my Portuguese neighbours held parties . Did I miss some 'all clear' siren over that holiday period?.

As a p.s to the question of whether you can travel from the USA to Portugal?. My SIL planned to do that but has been told there is no travel to Europe yet.

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 22nd 2020 at 6:13 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

In regard to the parties...you're right...it is ridiculous.-

What no-one seems to have noticed is that only last Thursday, 18th, June, 2020...the World Health Organisation confirmed more confirmed cases (Worldwide) than on any other day since the pandemic began???
Old Jun 25th 2020, 8:39 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody confirm if Portugal is open to UK Passport holders? I have a flight on Saturday from São Paulo to Lisbon and then on to Porto on Sunday and have just spoken to TAP who say that I can only fly to Portugal in order to catch a flight to the UK. I do not have residency in Portugal. This is the information that is on the IATA COVID-19 Travel Map. I don't know whether to buy a ticket to the UK from Porto (there is a flight available to Stansted with Ryanair) or whether the information on the IATA website is incorrect. I am finding conflicting information everywhere. TAP told me to phone SEF in Portugal to ask them so I can try that tomorrow as I couldn't find any official info on their website.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 7:37 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by cfs
Can anybody confirm if Portugal is open to UK Passport holders? I have a flight on Saturday from São Paulo to Lisbon and then on to Porto on Sunday and have just spoken to TAP who say that I can only fly to Portugal in order to catch a flight to the UK. I do not have residency in Portugal. This is the information that is on the IATA COVID-19 Travel Map. I don't know whether to buy a ticket to the UK from Porto (there is a flight available to Stansted with Ryanair) or whether the information on the IATA website is incorrect. I am finding conflicting information everywhere. TAP told me to phone SEF in Portugal to ask them so I can try that tomorrow as I couldn't find any official info on their website.
Hi, and welcome to the forum from me.

Sorry about your current difficulty. The background to this is that Portugal has maintained open the possibility of admitting passengers on flights from various countries, including Brazil, with the proviso that those countries allow entry to Portuguese citizens (this is an exception Portugal negotiated to the general bar on flights from outside arriving in EU countries)

Brazil is not currently admitting any foreign nationals, so there's a doubt on the part of the airline as to whether people arriving in Portugal from Brazil who are neither citizens or residents of Portugal will be admitted, except in transit to another country, by way of reciprocation. So the advice is to contact SEF and see if they can issue an authorisation for entry to the country, which will satisfy the airline and allow you to board your flight.

Not of any further practical assistance to you but may help explain a little about the apparent contradictions you've encountered.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:30 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Red Eric, thanks so much for your reply. and welcome to the forum I ended up sending an email to SEF and received authorization to fly. They replied very promptly. I will now print that email and take it to show to checkin staff if there is any problem.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:48 pm
Polished expat

Fantastic news!

I must admit I had reservations about whether you'd get a response, or a speedy enough one, from SEF. Great to know they're right on the ball at the moment.

And thanks for returning with the update.