Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

PORTUGAL, does it make sense to become residents?

PORTUGAL, does it make sense to become residents?

Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PORTUGAL, does it make sense to become residents?

A friend of mine is converting a used fire truck [12 ton awd Mercedes]
into a camper here in Portugal; he told me that the matriculation is not difficult.

I wouldn't normally post second hand info, but this one might not get answered otherwise.

There are plenty of buses available, after a certain age they can no longer be legally used for commercial passenger transport.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

The OP is from South Africa and I presume he has shares on the stock exchange as he knows me from the investment forum.

If so, selling some shares for income will be taxed at a flat rate of 28% in PT but exempt in SA as CGT is residency based by the DTA.

No expenses can be deducted from it as it is a flat rate. In SA CGT is an effective 13%. A huge difference so look into the affordability of the difference.

The NHR will not help at all in this case.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

rond58 is an unknown quantity at this point

great , tx for the info. Maybe you can offer up your friends contact details so I can chat to him... assuming he can speak English?... lol. A pvt message maybe?. rgds Rond58
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
The OP is from South Africa and I presume he has shares on the stock exchange as he knows me from the investment forum.
Ouch!

I think that might be volunteering a little too much information on his behalf.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I am happy to be corrected if my understanding is wrong.
Have to say Richard I have always found your advice spot on.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Ouch!

I think that might be volunteering a little too much information on his behalf.
What can possibly be embarrassing for having investments? Most of us do.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 11:47 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

What can possibly be embarrassing for having investments? Most of us do.
Not embarrassing but personal and up to each forum member to decide whether they want to divulge such information on this forum.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I know we are drifting away from the original question but while we are discussing tax and NHR does anyone know how tax on British Premium Bonds works?

We have invested in Bonds as we know that the UK is happy for you to keep them when you move abroad and you can easily cash them straight into a linked foreign bank account. It also seems wise to have some money stashed in the UK.

But I've been wondering about tax on any prizes? The Portuguese don't seem keen on gambling and I think they tax prizes quite heavily.

Does anyone know if Bond draw prizes are taxed in Portugal, at what rate, and if they would be exempt if accepted on NHR?
Old Nov 18th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had a glance at the DTA between UK and PT and posted the link below.
There is nothing about windfalls so I assume it gets taxed in the UK at a cap of 10% and NHR will make it exempt in PT.

If the DTA states that a certain tax is only payable in the country of residency ie Portugal then NHR does not give you exemption.

As in my case it is not tax efficient to pay 28% flat rate for CGT on every penny I earn with no deductions allowed and no exemptions when I can pay much less elsewhere in Europe.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-_in_force.pdf
Old Nov 18th 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Just done a bit more Googling and I think that Premium Bond wins will be taxed as an income.
They aren't taxed in the UK so would be taxed in Portugal if you are on the NHR scheme.
(We will get an accountant when we move, just trying to work out what to expect)

I should think any prizes would be under the lower tax bracket so could be exempt anyway. We only win the odd £25 prize.

I got most of this from the Portugal Resident online..

How UK investments are taxed in Portugal | Portugal Resident
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Be careful when getting an accountant here in PT as most know nothing about cross border taxation and NHR tax matters. Going cheap can be very costly.

The link above refers to BlevensFranks and they have offices throughout Europe. I have an appointment for Wednesday with them after going through 2 accountants with a disastrous outcome. AFPOP members get a discount.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:29 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful when getting an accountant here in PT as most know nothing about cross border taxation and NHR tax matters. Going cheap can be very costly.

The link above refers to BlevensFranks and they have offices throughout Europe. I have an appointment for Wednesday with them after going through 2 accountants with a disastrous outcome. AFPOP members get a discount.
Good luck with that! They are not accountants, they are "wealth managers". If your meeting goes anything like mine, they will suggest that you sell all your "foreign" assets and invest in a Luxemburg fund that they manage....... For questions relating to NHR, etc. they'll refer you to a pet accountant (no doubt with a kickback).

However, I agree that most PT accountants are useless for this kind of thing - like lawyers they concentrate on running within the general PT system and know little else. I found Dennis Swing Greene of Eurofinesco far better - he has actually lived here for decades.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by macliam
I found Dennis Swing Greene of Eurofinesco far better - he has actually lived here for decades.
I've never heard anything bad about Eurofinesco, except what they charge. I guess you get what you pay for
Old Nov 18th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Received a letter to go to the local Finaças up here in the north with supporting documents.
I did but no one there could understand English at all. I showed them the letter but all I got was waving of hands and they did not even look at the docs I gave them.
A person waiting in the queue said to me that they are saying I must come back with my accountant. My accountant is in the deep south so I phoned her and handed the phone to the guy. After about 30 minutes of haggling he gave the phone back and waved his arms some more.

My accountant sent me an email the same day but I could not understand what she was trying to say.

Very frustrating and I have been looking for a local accountant that speaks English but there are none. Off to a remote Siberian island hut to hide from this.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Good luck with that! They are not accountants, they are "wealth managers". If your meeting goes anything like mine, they will suggest that you sell all your "foreign" assets and invest in a Luxemburg fund that they manage....... For questions relating to NHR, etc. they'll refer you to a pet accountant (no doubt with a kickback).

However, I agree that most PT accountants are useless for this kind of thing - like lawyers they concentrate on running within the general PT system and know little else. I found Dennis Swing Greene of Eurofinesco far better - he has actually lived here for decades.
Same experiences with both firms.
Eurofinesco is very good with cross border stuff, make an appointment to see the boss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.