Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Porto de Mos area advice - can anyone help?

Porto de Mos area advice - can anyone help?

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

knwkr369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Porto de Mos area advice - can anyone help?

Hi All,
We're wondering if anyone can help us, we're moving to the Algarve as soon as we're allowed out (and allowed in!) but we're having to try and buy our new home remotely. The problem with this is we can't get a 'feel' for the different areas so we wondered is anyone on here happy to give their opinions of certain areas.The properties themselves aren't a problem just the areas, that local knowledge.

We've spotted a house in the Porto de Mos area of Lagos that we think could be ideal but we've nobody to give an independent opinion of the area and we can't get there ourselves. We intend this to be our permanent home apart from June/July/August when it will be too hot for us - that's when we will 'visit' our kids! We'd hope to maybe rent out the property in those months to help our income.

So does anyone know that area and would be able to give us their opinions on it? The usual stuff like is it secure/peaceful, what type of people does it attract, suitable for renting etc etc (oh, and is it a good area to buy a property in from an investment perspective?)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully somebody can offer some advice.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Porto de Mos area advice - can anyone help?

Sorry I don't know that area too well, but I would advise strongly against purchasing a property without first seeing the area/location. Not so much if you are buying in a residential complex ,but if not you may find all sorts of negatives when you arrive. Have seen many of my dream homes, only to have them dashed when I arrive to find a noisy sawmill just down the valley with working hours from 7.30 in the morning. So do take care.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knwkr369
Hi All,
We're wondering if anyone can help us, we're moving to the Algarve as soon as we're allowed out (and allowed in!) but we're having to try and buy our new home remotely. The problem with this is we can't get a 'feel' for the different areas so we wondered is anyone on here happy to give their opinions of certain areas.The properties themselves aren't a problem just the areas, that local knowledge.

We've spotted a house in the Porto de Mos area of Lagos that we think could be ideal but we've nobody to give an independent opinion of the area and we can't get there ourselves. We intend this to be our permanent home apart from June/July/August when it will be too hot for us - that's when we will 'visit' our kids! We'd hope to maybe rent out the property in those months to help our income.

So does anyone know that area and would be able to give us their opinions on it? The usual stuff like is it secure/peaceful, what type of people does it attract, suitable for renting etc etc (oh, and is it a good area to buy a property in from an investment perspective?)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully somebody can offer some advice.
I sometimes walk to Port de Mos when do the cliff walk from the lighthouse. I am led to believe that this is one of the more expensive parts of Lagos and I know from my walks there are some des res properties there. If you could pm me the address I will go and have a look around the area and take some pics. I could then give you an idea about how far the dwelling is from supermarket, restaurants, beach etc. hope this is of help.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 8:32 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

You would be strongly advised to rent for a few months first, before making the big decision as to which property / location to purchase.

Old Feb 24th 2021, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should listen to the previous posters and it's not only about the location, but also about the quality of the house. It seems there's no detached houses below 400K, so only the wealthy can afford to live there, but that doesn't make it free from problems.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all, yes very aware and familiar with the risks involved but appreciate those taking the time and consideration to point them out. I should have pointed out we are familiar with Portugal/Algarve and are really more thinking about specific areas. Personal circumstances dictate we have to move as soon as is practical and no, a final signing would not be done without either a personal visit or a visit by somebody we trust. We're also familiar with the legal considerations around deposits etc.

Essentially we do not want to waste our time or other people's time investigating, negotiating etc etc if the area would in any case rule out the property. It's one of the prelim steps in whittling things down. It would not be the first time in our lives we have moved to a new country and have had to scout things out in advance. But like I said thanks for the comments, the spirit in which they have been given is appreciated.

Old Feb 24th 2021, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sportpix
I sometimes walk to Port de Mos when do the cliff walk from the lighthouse. I am led to believe that this is one of the more expensive parts of Lagos and I know from my walks there are some des res properties there. If you could pm me the address I will go and have a look around the area and take some pics. I could then give you an idea about how far the dwelling is from supermarket, restaurants, beach etc. hope this is of help.
Thanks Sportpix, even that comment about it being the more expensive part of Lagos is useful. We may well take you up on that offer!
Old Feb 24th 2021, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knwkr369
Thanks Sportpix, even that comment about it being the more expensive part of Lagos is useful. We may well take you up on that offer!
...and I’ll be able to tell you where the nearest sawmill or abattoir is that might spoil things, but I guess not very close 😀
Old Feb 24th 2021, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

watch out for the barking dogs, all day and night, barking at anything that moves or smells
Old Feb 24th 2021, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
watch out for the barking dogs, all day and night, barking at anything that moves or smells
That goes for most of Portugal

A Portuguese once explained to me that the sound of dogs barking is normal and should be as the birdsong is welcomed into the daybreak

😂😂😂