Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portimao tourist tips?

Portimao tourist tips?

Old Mar 10th 2016, 2:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portimao tourist tips?

Are there any locals from around Portimao on the forum?

I've just booked a week's holiday there for mid-April and any advice would be appreciated. I've tried to avoid "resorts" and have a hotel in the town.

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:00 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portimao tourist tips?

Portimao is a city, scruffy in parts sadly much of the local retail activity has moved to the new modern shopping centres in the area.
The fish restaurants in the area near the old bridge have a good reputation and you can catch the ferry across the river to Ferragudo one of the most attractive fishing villages in this part of the Algarve.
Praia Da Rocha is the resort area with excellent beaches and the expected tourist attractions.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Portimao is a city, scruffy in parts sadly much of the local retail activity has moved to the new modern shopping centres in the area.
The fish restaurants in the area near the old bridge have a good reputation and you can catch the ferry across the river to Ferragudo one of the most attractive fishing villages in this part of the Algarve.
Praia Da Rocha is the resort area with excellent beaches and the expected tourist attractions.
The hotel I've booked is a short walk from the old bridge and I love eating fish.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:28 am
Just Joined

flensdorf is an unknown quantity at this point

Go over the old bridge to Parchal - less than 1 km - there is the resturant Girassol where you can have the freshest fish, as only 5oo m from the fishery harbour. You get soup, bread,olives, main dish, dessert, wine and water as much you want. All this for only € eight. Mostly visited by local workers for lunch, and they are hungry!! I always take visitors to visit this gem It is not yet on tripadvisor!
https://www.google.pt/maps/place/Res...99c1b4c2d4cd6c

Last edited by flensdorf; Mar 11th 2016 at 4:39 am.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you fancy a bit of scuba there's Subnauta near the marina. Loads of interesting wrecks have been sunk off shore in the last few years.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:12 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you fancy a bit of scuba there's Subnauta near the marina. Loads of interesting wrecks have been sunk off shore in the last few years.
Err, thanks, but I'm an interesting wreck myself.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:14 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by flensdorf
Go over the old bridge to Parchal - less than 1 km - there is the resturant Girassol where you can have the freshest fish, as only 5oo m from the fishery harbour. You get soup, bread,olives, main dish, dessert, wine and water as much you want. All this for only € eight. Mostly visited by local workers for lunch, and they are hungry!! I always take visitors to visit this gem It is not yet on tripadvisor!
https://www.google.pt/maps/place/Res...99c1b4c2d4cd6c
Sounds good. Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say Portimao would not have been my first choice as a place to stay,not because it's scruffy and rather tired looking.but because of the awful smell from it' huge tidal basin.The mud stinks frankly. Thats sad because it was once a place of importance.It's actually where Hannibal came ashore with his army, plus elephants on his way to sack Rome. One day they might make something of that event. They have upped the anti re.Cruise liners docking there .If thats a plus? Don't know. The Yacht club at the end of the promenade served excellent lunches.good fish.If your a bit of a gourmet. The Bella Vista Hotel has a wonderful new chef,heading straight for a michelin star this year.Food is NOT michelin prices yet though ,so recommend to book for dinner one night.Agree the little restaurants other side of the bridge are good.excellent Portuguese food.Enjoy your stay and explore the area
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:11 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Have to say Portimao would not have been my first choice as a place to stay,not because it's scruffy and rather tired looking.but because of the awful smell from it' huge tidal basin.The mud stinks frankly. Thats sad because it was once a place of importance.It's actually where Hannibal came ashore with his army, plus elephants on his way to sack Rome. One day they might make something of that event. They have upped the anti re.Cruise liners docking there .If thats a plus? Don't know. The Yacht club at the end of the promenade served excellent lunches.good fish.If your a bit of a gourmet. The Bella Vista Hotel has a wonderful new chef,heading straight for a michelin star this year.Food is NOT michelin prices yet though ,so recommend to book for dinner one night.Agree the little restaurants other side of the bridge are good.excellent Portuguese food.Enjoy your stay and explore the area
The Portimao Pong is indeed something particularly when you are stuck on the 125 bridge.
But I have rarely smelt it in the city itself.
Thanks for the tip on the bella vista, we are going to Bon Bon in Carvoeiro the algarves newest michelin restaurant.
Yes it will cost a fortune by local standards but 40 % less at least than in the UK.

The algarve is definetly a destination for foodies of all budgets if you look for the right places.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:29 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flensdorf
Go over the old bridge to Parchal - less than 1 km - there is the resturant Girassol
Good shout for lunch today.

Vegetable soup, pork and clams, bread n olives, a flan, coffee and drinks x 2, 16€. As you say, very popular with workers as well as a couple of French 'locals', friendly staff, great value, we enjoyed it.

Not so the basin pong, but have smelt a lot, lot worse.

Last edited by iano; Mar 16th 2016 at 6:32 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:50 pm
Born again atheist

Portimao was my choice because most (all) of the other options I could find for a cheap week's break in the area involved staying in "resorts". Not my style.

Like many others on BE I'm a bit of a ping-ponger, so I think I can stand the odorous mud.

Keep up the advice (good and bad).