Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Please Help...Two new born puppies found in a plastic bag!!

Please Help...Two new born puppies found in a plastic bag!!

Old Dec 25th 2016, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Secret is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help...Two new born puppies found in a plastic bag!!

Yesterday, we found two new born puppies dumped in a plastic bag down a slope under a bush! They would never have been found in this remote area, had it not been for us deciding to take our two dogs for a late walk. The cries were pitiful, and it took us some time just to retrieve them from their location. Their eyes haven't opened yet, and they can only crawl right now.
We are new here and don't know where the rescue centres are located. We are just outside Lagos. Can anyone advise us on where we can take them please. We can't keep them, as we already have two rescue dogs and two rescue cats. One of our dogs isn't taking too kindly to them either, so the sooner the better. Any help or advice will be gratefully recieved.

<snip out personal details - please contact via BE email etc . thanks>

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 26th 2016 at 4:22 am.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help...Two new born puppies found in a plastic bag!!

I don't know the area but ask at your local vets surgery & if you don't know where it is just google something like 'Lagos vet'
Old Dec 26th 2016, 7:50 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Try Contact Us - Goldra Dog Sanctuary | Saving Dogs in the Algarve - they are near Loule, but they may know of something closer. If the puppies eyes aren't open then they will be in danger of hypothermia and starvation on top of everything else. If you have a hot water bottle or something it would help.

Good luck
Old Dec 27th 2016, 3:40 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Any luck with the puppies? A friend rehomed 5 that were dumped on his doorstep, but one died and one was very ill - the others responded fine.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Secret is on a distinguished road

It was heartbreaking when one of the pups died after 48 hours. But the other one is doing really well, and now having shared fostering between myself and another lady. We are doing two hour feeds.....day and night! (memories of early motherhood....aarg.) But this pup is very strong and getting stronger each day. We have named her 'Daisy', and she gets lots of cuddles and love from us all. She gets to sleep on a furry hot water bottle and is fed special formula. We now have a few people following her progress on facebook via an Algarve rescue centre.....social media is fabulous! Her eyes are still closed, so we are all looking forward to when they open....its also proving that she was probably new born when we found her.....dear little thing. Thank you for asking and highlighting this post, because we were new here and didn't know anyone.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are a .

I do hope the surviving pup will go on to have a happy healthy life.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:35 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Secret
It was heartbreaking when one of the pups died after 48 hours. But the other one is doing really well, and now having shared fostering between myself and another lady. We are doing two hour feeds.....day and night! (memories of early motherhood....aarg.) But this pup is very strong and getting stronger each day. We have named her 'Daisy', and she gets lots of cuddles and love from us all. She gets to sleep on a furry hot water bottle and is fed special formula. We now have a few people following her progress on facebook via an Algarve rescue centre.....social media is fabulous! Her eyes are still closed, so we are all looking forward to when they open....its also proving that she was probably new born when we found her.....dear little thing. Thank you for asking and highlighting this post, because we were new here and didn't know anyone.
I'm glad to hear that the immediate crisis has passed. It's sad that one of the puppies didn't make it - but hey, the outcome is better than it could easily have been and the other four are proof of your good actions.

The rescue society I am involved with is near Ourique, so a long way from you - but I know that the Algarve has many animal charities. The people who work with these associations really are unsung heroes - many here work full time and give up their limited spare time to walk, clean and feed the dogs - and both Portuguese and estrangeiros work to provide a future for these unfortunate cast-offs from "society". Someone posted on another thread that I was worried about dogs when there are so many other problems in the world - but I can't solve those and none of them are the dogs fault. However, attitudes like that are the problem!

Once the puppies are more sturdy, it's also possible for them to be adopted - again, my association sends dogs to Germany and Sweden fairly regularly and it's lovely to see them settled into loving families. However, for now, keep up the good work and good luck!!