Please Help

Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:55 am
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice
Default Re: Please Help

Agree with others both social security and taxes are high in PT. I'd come over rent and try and establish the business first. See how viable it is. The locals work very long hours for very low wages - OK if you are retired (cheap cost of living) but not good if you need to work. Keep checking it out. Good Luck
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:38 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

depends on what type of buisness you are looking into to ?,
schools very good if your kids are fully into the move , being near one of the larger towns here would be advantages to begin with i think as far more locals speak some english, property isnt cheap and the days of finding those little "do uppers" are fading and if you do find them on average they do come with a few stumbling blocks along the way, depending on how determined you are about the move , renting can be an option,long term rents however are not as easy to find as everyone presumes or like us you could just up and move over , 4 kids in local school doing okay, but we do have the crutch of a buisness in the uk , which is a major factor! one thing , learn as much of the language as poss before coming out , is a major advantage , the number one tip!good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice

Hi there,we decided to sell up in feb,when the market for uk house were fantastic,made a huge profit on our house,enough to buy a 3 bed lodge in a stunning park in tavera,without needing to get a morgage or loan.
We travelled over every other month to make sure it was what we wanted to do,and with 3 kids under the age of ten!we felt a huge weight on our shoulders to make the right decision.in november my daughter was inroled into the local school,please be aware that the schools are nothing like the uk,computers are lacking, and things that you take for granted in the uk.but in return how we see it is they get a wealth of cultural education,being able to talk spanish, english and portugease french,things that you dont get in the uk unless you are in private education.there are alot of english schools in portugal,ok if you have just won the lottery and can afford the term fees.If you put your mind to it,you can be over here as soon as you want.and if it does not work,what the hell,at least you can say you have lived and experienced life!!how cool is that!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

carmen13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aaron and jo
Hi there,we decided to sell up in feb,when the market for uk house were fantastic,made a huge profit on our house,enough to buy a 3 bed lodge in a stunning park in tavera,without needing to get a morgage or loan.
We travelled over every other month to make sure it was what we wanted to do,and with 3 kids under the age of ten!we felt a huge weight on our shoulders to make the right decision.in november my daughter was inroled into the local school,please be aware that the schools are nothing like the uk,computers are lacking, and things that you take for granted in the uk.but in return how we see it is they get a wealth of cultural education,being able to talk spanish, english and portugease french,things that you dont get in the uk unless you are in private education.there are alot of english schools in portugal,ok if you have just won the lottery and can afford the term fees.If you put your mind to it,you can be over here as soon as you want.and if it does not work,what the hell,at least you can say you have lived and experienced life!!how cool is that!!
What are you doing out there?
We would like to run our own business as the hours of work are long I belive. I know what you mean no good sitting on the shelve all our lives. If we didnt have the kids would of just sold up and gone. Really concerned about our daughter though she is 14 not a good time to take her out of school and expect her to learn a new langauge and settle into a new school. But then if we dont do it now we never will as our middle son is 13 and we will be getting into the same predicament. Have you moved now if so hows it going?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice

we dont move until 21st of this month, excited and scared all at once, very weird!! the only suggestion with your daught is possibly finishing her schooling in an international school which will follow the british national curriculum, this can prove quite expensive though so it depends on your budget, byu the time your son is ready for his exams he should be quite lingual enough to suceed. i have a businees on e-bay and my husband is a fantastic chef with twelve years experience he will be looking for a job straight away, hopefully without to much problem. what business are you hoping to start up??? the further east algarve you go the cheaper the property can get as it isnt as commercial as the west yet!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Please Help

we dont move until 21st of this month, excited and scared all at once, very weird!! the only suggestion with your daught is possibly finishing her schooling in an international school which will follow the british national curriculum, this can prove quite expensive though so it depends on your budget, byu the time your son is ready for his exams he should be quite lingual enough to suceed. i have a businees on e-bay and my husband is a fantastic chef with twelve years experience he will be looking for a job straight away, hopefully without to much problem. what business are you hoping to start up??? the further east algarve you go the cheaper the property can get as it isnt as commercial as the west yet!!
We realy dont know, at the moment we run a car valeting business. Desperatly trying to think of something to do. We dont want to run a bar or resturant as the hours are to long but not frightened of hard work. :curse:
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

coming out and having to work full time to support yourself is extremely difficult here, i suggest that you have something already set up before you commit to a permanent move, before we came out most people told me that my 13 year old would find things really tough, out of my 3 kids of school age he actually has adapted to the language the quickest, after a tough first week, he actually has made good friends and has joined the local footy team which has really helped, we moved out 7months ago and touch wood, no probs so far
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:20 am
Banned

jason1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi you got to get the right bussiness, there are too many bars over here never see them that busy in the winter. As for setting up a bussiness it can take time and money people need to know where you are.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Just noticed that there is a bar for rent in Tavira, it across the temporary bridge, oposite the bank. I think British people use to run it, but I only went in there once, about 5 or 6 years ago, so it might have changed hands since then.
Joao
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Please Help

Originally Posted by Joao
Just noticed that there is a bar for rent in Tavira, it across the temporary bridge, oposite the bank. I think British people use to run it, but I only went in there once, about 5 or 6 years ago, so it might have changed hands since then.
Joao
Thanks I have been looking on the net for business for sale and rent ect but not having much luck. Alot of people are putting us off a little as saying it is hard to get on and starting business is a nightmare. When my husband lived there he got on really well however that was 16 years ago. Many people have said that it is the place to retire but not for the younger people with families. Not sure about that one. What do they do regarding dental care my daughter is having a brace fitted this year.

KK
Carmen
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

dental work i have heard is ment to be extremely expensive,i am keeping my dentist in the uk,probebly work out cheaper!Have a look at private healthcare
schemes,some cover dental work
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:14 am
Just Joined

O.K will do thanks it's the silly things that you forget about. :curse:
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

tell me abot it!i opened up a thread to see if there was a dump thing like ours in the uk!must be getting nervous now!!if you think of anything type it in,i would of most likely found it out!being a mum and all
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

dental work i have heard is ment to be extremely expensive,i am keeping my dentist in the uk,probebly work out cheaper!Have a look at private healthcare
schemes,some cover dental work
White porcelain fillings €40.00 each. I think that is cheaper than NHS dentist!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mike
White porcelain fillings €40.00 each. I think that is cheaper than NHS dentist!
Yeh your right there. Just concerned as my daughter only having here braces fitted this year and need to be on for two years. Will need to find out if the dentists in Portugal will tighten ect. Have been looking into the Bupa Health Insurance do you have private health care as I have been advised to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.