Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Payment of tolls - Portuguese reg. car

Payment of tolls - Portuguese reg. car

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

t34b4g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Payment of tolls - Portuguese reg. car

We've got a Portuguese registered car, and used an electronic toll road in an emergency (yes, life/death situation), and then because of the situation, forgot about it.

When we remembered, we went to CTT to pay, but they told us it was too late and we would receive a letter with the amount to pay.

It's been 2 months, and we haven't had anything in the post. What do we do?

Soon, we will be driving back to the UK for the first time, and we're not sure what will happen when we cross the border.

We had never used the toll roads up until that time, and haven't used them since which is why we don't have one of those devices on the windscreen.

Any advice gratefully received!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Re: Payment of tolls - Portuguese reg. car

I wouldn't worry. Did the same thing 4 years ago and forgot about it. 2 years later got a slip in the post box to collect a recorder delivery letter. It was the fine for not paying a 2 euro toll. Fine was another 2 euros plus 50 cents handing. Cost of recorded delivery letter was 4.50!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jonny22, and there I was worrying about it.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.pagamentodeportagens.pt/...al/PPPHome.jsf might allow a late payment but it doesn't cover every toll road.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you RichardHenshall for reminding me about this website.

We had tried it about two weeks after the event and nothing had shown up. I've just tried it again now and have just paid.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t34b4g
Thank you RichardHenshall for reminding me about this website.

We had tried it about two weeks after the event and nothing had shown up. I've just tried it again now and have just paid.

Thanks for your help!
Glad you got it sorted. Previous information may have been true once upon a time, but not now. I've just had a penalty notice delivered, registered, for two sequential toll units of €1.45 - plus an administrative charge of €2.21 on each, so €7.32 to pay on missed tolls of €2.90 and 30 days to pay... to avoid further action leading to a fine of 7.5 times the tolls owed or a minimum of €25 euros. Not huge in UK terms, but enough to want to avoid it!

The portal is pretty useless because (as you found) there is a gap between being able to pay at the correios and any information on a missed payment being displayed. I checked for these tolls (in November) but could find nothing, now I get notice to pay.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you really do have to have a transponder on the car for peace of mind if you use the motorway. Otherwise it gets sticky and complicated .

Sorry about the life/or death situation and do hope all is well with you and yours now ? In that sort of a situation a small fine is nothing in the grand scheme of things is it.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:47 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
It seems you really do have to have a transponder on the car for peace of mind if you use the motorway. Otherwise it gets sticky and complicated .

Sorry about the life/or death situation and do hope all is well with you and yours now ? In that sort of a situation a small fine is nothing in the grand scheme of things is it.
Yes, it depends how much you use the autoestrada - and moreso the A22. In my case it's pretty rare - and when I did try to buy a transponder they didn't have any, didn't know when they'd get more and didn't really seem to care...
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Yes, it depends how much you use the autoestrada - and moreso the A22. In my case it's pretty rare - and when I did try to buy a transponder they didn't have any, didn't know when they'd get more and didn't really seem to care...
Ordered one online fron ViaVerde, came through the post about a week later. Registered car online, stuck on the windscreen and all done. Since then a steady drip of DDs in the bank account and a monthly statement. All works quite efficiently. Even functions on some of the Spanish motorways.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Ordered one online fron ViaVerde, came through the post about a week later. Registered car online, stuck on the windscreen and all done. Since then a steady drip of DDs in the bank account and a monthly statement. All works quite efficiently. Even functions on some of the Spanish motorways.
As above
https://www.viaverde.pt/apoio-ao-cliente

go down to
Adesão á Via Verde

Translates AOK & saves a lot off grief in the future !