Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

PAYGO airtime on Vodafone.

PAYGO airtime on Vodafone.

Old Jan 24th 2019, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default PAYGO airtime on Vodafone.

Other than contacting my wife when we are apart, I have no need for airtime. We Skype our family.
As I was going to Lisbon from Porto on my own today my wife insisted I get airtime and contact her occasionally. Loaded €5 at the Vodafone kiosk yesterday and voila. It showed up in an email.

Today I tried to phone her from Lisbon but before the call went through a message came up to say that I have only 18 cents left.
I have not used the phone at all since I downloaded the airtime.
Then I remembered that some months ago I bought €10 airtime and before I could use it it also just vanished.

Old Jan 24th 2019, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYGO airtime on Vodafone.

Was it for voice and data and your phone's mobile data has used it?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Was it for voice and data and your phone's mobile data has used it?
The Kiosk only allows airtime and not data.My phone has been set to not use airtime for data if not using wifi.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Might my.vodafone.pt provide some insight?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

My wife only pays for the PAYG scheme with NOS; she only makes telephone calls and sends texts from her smart phone. However, she recently lost about €12 from her account due to a firmware or software update which switched on data usage without her noticing. Apparently a lot of data (about 6GB) was consumed by apps that were communicating in the background. This is the second time it has happened. She now knows that she has to regularly check her phone to make sure that data usage is switched off.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

My daughter phoned me from a fixed line in the UK to my mobile in Lisbon. Does this cost me any airtime as well?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
My daughter phoned me from a fixed line in the UK to my mobile in Lisbon. Does this cost me any airtime as well?
That call should not cost you anything.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you have a smart phone or a basic mobile phone Ukkram?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

For a conventional voice call to a Portuguese mobile it shouldn't cost you anything (though it might have cost her plenty!). If she used some form of VOIP call (Skype, WhatsApp, Messenger etc) it's possible for a smart phone to use data to receive the call (which would be at your expense if you're on PAYG voice/data). Though if mobile data was disabled, as mentioned previously, this wouldn't (or shouldn't) happen.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Do you have a smart phone or a basic mobile phone Ukkram?
Samsung S8.smartphone. The Data Usage is set to OFF.

Last edited by Ukkram; Jan 26th 2019 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Samsung S8.smartphone. The Data Usage is set to OFF.
My wife has Samsung S8 as well and, somehow, the data usage switches on occasionally. Keep checking it especially if you have WiFi switched on as updates happen when you are charging at home.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife has Samsung S8 as well and, somehow, the data usage switches on occasionally. Keep checking it especially if you have WiFi switched on as updates happen when you are charging at home.
It cannot switch on by itself if you have disabled it. It will tell you that there are apps needing updates but will not do so automatically. Turn on your wifi and update them manually.

To turn updates on or off, follow these steps:
  1. Open Google Play.
  2. Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) on the top-left.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Auto-update apps.
  5. To disable automatic app updates, select Do not auto-update apps.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Ukkram. I have set her phone to auto update apps over wifi only. The other data settings are in Settings and they are correct at the moment. I will monitor her settings more often in future as she tells me she has twice lost about€12.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Ukkram. I have set her phone to auto update apps over wifi only. The other data settings are in Settings and they are correct at the moment. I will monitor her settings more often in future as she tells me she has twice lost about€12.
Don't thank me as I have done these settings but I have still lost €10 about 2 years ago without me using the damn phone and then another €10 after. Now I have lost €5.00 this week that I uploaded to my phone to contact my wife while in Lisbon. The first call to her was aborted due to only 18c remaining and I had not even used the phone.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 5:31 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you have a virus on your phone?

I used to use a spare android handset with a payg sim from Meo which chomped through 20€ of credit within a few days of me topping it up. When i complained in the Meo shop (Silves) the guy could see the premium rate messages on the billing data being sent by the virus despite nothing happening on the handset to indicate anything. He refunded me and reported the service.

Perhaps worth a visit to Voda?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.