Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Pay as you go pt sim

Pay as you go pt sim

Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pay as you go pt sim

Are these available.?
I have looked and looked but it seems that they don't seem to exist in Portugal.

Anyone know any different.?
I need a pt sim just to make a minimum number of calls and mainly to receive calls on

Tia
Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay as you go pt sim

Originally Posted by dingg
Are these available.?
I have looked and looked but it seems that they don't seem to exist in Portugal.

Anyone know any different.?
I need a pt sim just to make a minimum number of calls and mainly to receive calls on

Tia
Lycramobile here in Portugal but also some of the major operators do offer the same service. Try NOS "Livres Dia" just one example. Used exactly this type of package for the same reasons you need it
Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Yes, they do exist. I think MEO has a plan called FLEX but sorry I don't have anymore info.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

Vodafone and UZO also do them. All easily topped up using Pt online bank. Don't forget, just like in the UK, you need to call or message every few months to keep the number live.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not get a 3 mobile sim from the UK. Your credit does not expire a 1 minute call is 3p a text is 2p and data is 1p per kb.

I use it all the time when in Portugal and its registered with my bank as my main number.

The sim, costs £10.00 including the £10 of calls and you just create a 3 mobile account and top up online

John
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Why not get a 3 mobile sim from the UK. Your credit does not expire a 1 minute call is 3p a text is 2p and data is 1p per kb.

I use it all the time when in Portugal and its registered with my bank as my main number.

The sim, costs £10.00 including the £10 of calls and you just create a 3 mobile account and top up online

John
Do they not invoke the fair use policy after 2 months though?
I use giff gaff on one mobile and they hammer me after 2 months out of the UK
Old Mar 7th 2020, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Paragraph below taken from the 3 mobile website. Hope it helps. You can use your mobile in upto 22 countries as the same cost. Recently in the states for 5 weeks and on mobile to mobile only paid 3p per min. Mobile to landline was expensive and the cost was only 3p if I phoned my daughters mobile in the UK. No, I do not work for 3 mobile.

No. There are no fair usage limits for unlimited data on Three providing it's for your own personal usage. Until September 2019, a 1000GB per month threshold was used to identify non-permitted commercial usage of the service. However, Three have since confirmed that this threshold is no longer being used.
7 Oct 2019

John
Old Mar 9th 2020, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Pay Monthly Roaming charges

Calls and texts to the UK and between Go Roam in Europe destinations are included in your allowance for all our plans.

Portugal is a Go Roam in Europe destination so you won't be charged for using up to 20GB of data – it'll simply come out of your allowance.

Pay As You Go Roaming charges

Calls and texts to the UK and between Go Roam in Europe destinations are included in your allowance for all our plans.

Portugal is a Go Roam in Europe destination which means you can use your data here at no extra cost. If you have an Add-on with a data allowance of 20GB or greater, a fair use limit applies, with use over 20GB subject to a small surcharge (see below).
Old Mar 9th 2020, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

A much more comprehensive answer for the 3 Mobile network. However as the starter of this thread only wants to make telephone calls, not have to have a contract or for his money to run out after 6 months if its not used then data use is not an issue. If you have a smart phone your only need to log onto a hotspot for data.

Another factor is that by having a UK sim call messages are in English (please no one got stroppy about not speaking Portuguese) which is a distinct advantage over a sim registered in Portugal.

John
Old Mar 9th 2020, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

One of the problems is that most providers change the t and c after 2 months in Portugal and refer you to the fair usage policy.

Also many Portuguese people will not call a UK mobile number or answer a UK number.

Hence the original query.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2020, 12:09 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Uzo would be a good option for the op. 10ec per outbound SMS or outbound call minute, no line rental ever. Been using it for around 2 years now, mainly for receiving and spent less than 10€. Runs as part of MEO network so good coverage.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Not on same topic but interesting for people with Portuguese Meo mobile Broadband contract.
If in UK you will not necessarily get the samemamount of GBs while in UK as opposed to being in Portugal.
Check on line to see what you will get. It depends if you are on some special deal with them.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 8:50 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Score76
Uzo would be a good option for the op. 10ec per outbound SMS or outbound call minute, no line rental ever. Been using it for around 2 years now, mainly for receiving and spent less than 10€. Runs as part of MEO network so good coverage.
I'd agree re UZO, for occasional use or as a contact phone it's hard to beat in Portugal.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I'd agree re UZO, for occasional use or as a contact phone it's hard to beat in Portugal.
NOS is also 10c / min / SMS for PAYG.