Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Owning a car as a student

Owning a car as a student

Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning a car as a student

There's nothing to stop insurers, but in practice they don't do it; except one in Gibraltar who will only cover Spanish and UK reg vehicles.
The OP did not say he /she was coming from the UK [or Spain].

IPO [Portuguese safety inspection] will be valid in Portugal, and the insurer may accept it [just ask].
However, it may not be accepted by the home country road authorities.
In my case, that meant insurance wasn't possible. There is an insurer who would have covered me [Alespie], but the cost was insane.
Also, when returning the vehicle I would have likely had a massive fine [automatic, triggered by plate recognition cameras on the roadside]. I phoned the authority there and asked.
I was told that if I failed to get the vehicle across the border and into an inspection station before the old certificate expired, there would be no way to legally do so.
I could have sneaked across on a secondary road to a station near the border i suppose. I sold it instead.

So it all depends on the details. These problems can likely be overcome if steps are taken in advance; get your annual inspection just before departure, take out an insurance policy that agrees to cover you while abroad for an extended period, road tax shouldn't be too hard.
Then you're all set.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:36 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
These problems can likely be overcome if steps are taken in advance; get your annual inspection just before departure...
Just a thought. The OP's a student (or will be). Presumably he has the usual filial / student obligations to his parents which will require at least one visit home in 10 months. You know the sort of thing - check the fridge and larder for anything consumable and remove, check Mum still remembers how to wash a basket full of clothes / use the iron / oven etc., make sure they're not skint (touch them for a loan if in any doubt) and so on. That could be combined with the vehicle inspection at a push if it can't be arranged in advance of departure. Save 2 trips.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Just a thought. The OP's a student (or will be). Presumably he has the usual filial / student obligations to his parents which will require at least one visit home in 10 months. You know the sort of thing - check the fridge and larder for anything consumable and remove, check Mum still remembers how to wash a basket full of clothes / use the iron / oven etc., make sure they're not skint (touch them for a loan if in any doubt) and so on. That could be combined with the vehicle inspection at a push if it can't be arranged in advance of departure. Save 2 trips.