Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Our first bad experience in PT.

Our first bad experience in PT.

Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Our first bad experience in PT.

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
It does tend to be a lot drier down South, perhaps that's what is meant. Think Coimbra and North of there for example with all the green.
Porto region and Sierra Nevada clearly have 50% more rain than other places but the Algarve itself is on a par with the majority of the country.

http://ddd.uab.cat/pub/artpub/2007/6...ppcli_fig4.jpg
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrBife
The Algarve is nowhere near the Mediterranean - it has an Atlantic coast and an Atlantic climate the same as the rest of Portugal (although just a little milder because its a little further south).

Not sure what you mean about Vegetation? I am looking out of the window now and I can see trees to the horizon that are carob, olive, fig, orange, lemon, palm, conifer and pine. Much the same mixture +- specific local trees like cork oak - as anywhere else in Portugal.

Come and visit
Can you see the sea from there?
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Porto region and Sierra Nevada clearly have 50% more rain than other places but the Algarve itself is on a par with the majority of the country.

http://ddd.uab.cat/pub/artpub/2007/6...ppcli_fig4.jpg
Head north of Lisbon inland and pretty soon it bursts into a differnt country, to suggest the likes of Douro valley and Geres have anything in common with the algarve as far as vegatation is concerned shows you've never been north of Lisbon?

Edit: take a look at the Portugal photos section on here

Last edited by gedscottish; Apr 30th 2016 at 5:39 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

What's this? Spain.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
What's this? Spain.
:rof l:

gedscottish - I am working in Braga during the week right now ! But like you I hate it when people make incorrect judgements based on bad information

Last edited by MrBife; Apr 30th 2016 at 5:49 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

gedscottish - I am working in Braga during the week right now ! But like you I hate it when people make incorrect judgements based on bad information
Ok before I thought this guy should visit the north as he has never been, but you have spent time in braga and reckon it's just like the algarve, wow.. I'm speechless!
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

I messed up there big time.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Can you see the sea from there?
Yes but I am about 1000ft above sea level. The the south I can see around 10kms of coast and all the Islands off Faro between the fold of hills in front of me. To East and West there are countryside views to the horizon and to the North the rest of the 'Cerro' we are built on.
Old May 1st 2016, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

The Algarve is nowhere near the Mediterranean - it has an Atlantic coast and an Atlantic climate the same as the rest of Portugal (although just a little milder because its a little further south).

Not sure what you mean about Vegetation? I am looking out of the window now and I can see trees to the horizon that are carob, olive, fig, orange, lemon, palm, conifer and pine. Much the same mixture +- specific local trees like cork oak - as anywhere else in Portugal.

Come and visit
From Wikipedia:
Faro has a Subtropical-Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification.
Old May 1st 2016, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ukkram
From Wikipedia:
Faro has a Subtropical-Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification.
On the same 'internet generalisation basis' so does Lisbon and so does Viana de Castelo or so it says here ...

Viana Do Castelo, Portugal Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online