Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Opinion on the east

Opinion on the east

Old Aug 11th 2017, 1:40 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinion on the east

Originally Posted by MikeJ
No wonder people get pissed off with you and your unhelpful interjections.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I opined about the thread topic and merely added an additional comment on my own situation which allows me to enjoy the delights of the East Algarve.

Anyway, Ayamonte is in the Spanish Algarve
No such place as the Spanish Algarve, it was a promotional gimmick to get people to visit the area.
An area that was really in the doldrums during the recession.
You will know how much it peed off the Portuguese.

As you say buying cheaper in Spain allows you to enjoy the benefits of Portugal.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Gentlemen, please - enough of the squabbling I don't know the politics of this forum as I'm still a newbie but not on my threads if you don't mind (and that was said with a smile, before I get shot at).

I may have asked about the east, but any information about other areas and the opinions of those that know them is absolutely welcome. The more information I have when I next come out to visit the better.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:12 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

I can only reiterate what several people have said before. The eastern Algarve is quieter than central while still be within a half an hour drive from the airport, at least Tavira is. We have been here for 10 years now and have no regrets. We live two and a bit km from the town centre and can walk there in about 25 minutes.
Tavira does have one beach that you don´t have to take a ferry to reach. However there are no amenities there. But then the ferry fare is only €1.80 return.
And there are lots of long term lets available.
Good luck
Old Aug 14th 2017, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

You could always try renting 3 months in onenplave and 3 months in another. Mwinterblets are generally furnished so if you had sold your UK property (we rent ours out) you would need to store your furniture until you bought. Luckily storage is cheap (we used a place just outside Lagos).

Alternatively sell everything and buy when you get out here. Not as cheap as it used to be thanks to Brexit causing the exchange rate to fall off the cliff but you would save on shipping costs and storage. Or buy second hand once over here. Some places are sold with furniture in situ.

I'm sure wherever you decide to make your home you will have a wonderful life.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie
You could always try renting 3 months in one place and 3 months in another. Most winter lets are generally furnished so if you had sold your UK property (we rent ours out) you would need to store your furniture until you bought. Luckily storage is cheap (we used a place just outside Lagos).

Alternatively sell everything and buy when you get out here. Not as cheap as it used to be thanks to Brexit causing the exchange rate to fall off the cliff but you would save on shipping costs and storage. Or buy second hand once over here. Some places are sold with furniture in situ.

I'm sure wherever you decide to make your home you will have a wonderful life.
w

Sorry some typos above. Should be "in one place" and "most winter lets".
Old Aug 14th 2017, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Also to note that Lagos is in the western Algarve, which is quieter than the central Alarve but probably not as quiet as Tavira.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

ant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cherry
Just adding a few thoughts on Fuseta - we have owned an apartment for 3 years and use it as our holiday home and travel out as many times as we can. I have just returned so can give a more current picture of Fuseta.
It is a traditional fishing 'town' - and although not on the main tourist map, it has a massive amount of visitors each year, especially during the Summer. We own an appartment on a complex of 40 apartments, about 1/2 are British/Irish and the rest Portugese/Dutch/French. The split is about 1/2 are used by owners only, with the remaining used as holiday lets, so there are always familiar faces as well as new ones.
Let's be honest, it's no Vilamoura (but that is a godsend once you experience the hospitality!). Over the last 18 months it has had a new beach bar and 4 new restaurants. The new developments are going for 500,000 Euro, but you can get some real bargains in the older parts.
Eating & drinking is cheap - beers are still at 1 Euro, and most restaurants offer a 10 Euro set menu; drink/cover/main meal (and sometimes cake). Its all fresh food.
It has a reasonable sized supermarket and a few local shops (butchers/bakers) also a market that sells fresh fruit/meat/fish.
It is 25 minute drive from Faro airport, has 2 (yes 2!) train stations that connect it to Faro, Olhao, Tavira and beyond. The town beach is nice for a walk and a paddle, or there is the 6 mile long island beach that is reached by a ferry for 1.80 Euro return. During the Summer the island beach has many visitors, and 3 beach bars - but literally walk 15 minutes in either direction and you are in your own space.

I am not the most outgoing, and I can only speak from my experience, but it is an amazingly friendly place. It has a small but welcoming ex-pat community - with local walks etc., But I found if you just sit and drink a coffee on the main restaurant front, then after the second visit you normally strike up a conversation!!
It has a large campsite which has tourers down from Northern Europe all year (including England) and again, people just come back year after year. Many 'tourists' come every year for the winter, so although it is quiet, it is never deserted.

I really would recommend a visit, just stay 3 or 4 days on one of the apartments - I can recommend our friends (who sold us the property, and introduced us to the community) who do letting and know places to buy.

I did about a years research on the internet, found Fuseta to be one of the closest communities to the beach without being priced out of the market - I then took my wife for a 3 day visit to see the area, and ended up buying whilst we were there - it was December, and we took the boat taxi to the island - we were in shorts and tee shirts in December on a deserted island!

Sorry to ramble on, but hope it helps!!

Anthony
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie

In Lagos is is possible to get a one bedroom apartment from €350 per month, 2 bedroom from €450. Several of our friends are snow birds from US/Canada and northern Europe who come for 3-6 months and they all do winter lets. When we came out we had a cat (sadly she dies recently) and were able to find several owners who would let to us and our cat. I really can not emphasise enough the advantages of renting first. We came out to Lagos twice before moving out. We looked at some places to buy based on where we thought we might like to live. Thank God we didn't buy any of them because once we had moved out permanently and lived In Lagos for a few months we realised that they were not where we would want to live. Buy in haste; repent at leisure. Buying and selling is expensive to you only want to do it once and get it right. It takes a while living in a place to fully understand it and decide where you really want to live.
I could not agree more with you Saffy Rose.

We did exactly the same as you. We had actually always thought we would retire to the Almancil area ,because thats' the area we had always visited on holiday for many yrs. However friends who always came to Salema warned us that that 'end' was really expensive (we knew that lol) and not suitable for a permnent home .Why didn't we try Salema.a tiny coastal village

We did ,but unlike them (who only came in the summer months) we found the winter there awful. Fortunately, we had only rented for a couple of months .The next visit was to be 'real 'retirement, so we arranged to rent a villa for six months in Caiicas ,just on the marina side of Lagos. Our wonderful Irish 'landlady ' allowed us to bring our dog as she had two herself.

We loved the area as it was 'country' but with sea views and only 10 mins into Lagos. However we couldn't find a suitable property that didn't need complete renovation- We went to several Estate Agents,all very helpful ,but naturally eager to sell us their hard to sell properties.
Everyone we met had an opinion One thing that came up repeatedly was 'Don't live in Luz' too many Brits and it's expensive. We avoided it for months,but I had had a photo of my perfect Algarve home on my 'dream' board for yrs. Guess where it was. To cut a very long, and a bit magical story short. We ended up buying that villa,near to that village.

it's true many Brits live here,,but my neighbours are Portuguese , Swiss and French. The supermarket can be pricey..if you insist on British food,but there's a Spa and a couple of others to choose from . A regular bus service into Lagos,an Anglican church,a patisserie/ fish shop ,all normal amenities in fact

.We couldn't be happier. It's been the perfect compromise between isolated hamlet and busy town.

Cherrypop..Your gut will tell you when you have found the perfect place. If funds are limited than I would recommend the east. It's still just affordable. I do however also strongly recommend that you find the means to rent for at least a couple of months,and in the winter. Find someone to take your cat if that is the only issue. This is a big life changing decision.Good luck

Last edited by GeniB; Aug 14th 2017 at 5:30 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Thanks to each and every one of you for the wealth of good advice and invaluable information. I'm absorbing it all and gradually unravelling my head to see the way forward.

Ultimately, I think it'll be my visit in October that will help me take the next step. <snip> Against the rules Thanks again

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 14th 2017 at 6:43 pm. Reason: Removed the words that break the rules
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

oops sorry,thought you had a cat
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
No, that was me - I had the cat.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
4 legs, tail. Not far off
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Ant69, although it's been almost 2 years since we left Fuzeta.

Popping down next month to see friends there and also Olhao and Manta Rota.