Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Old EDP meter vs Smart EDP meter

Old EDP meter vs Smart EDP meter

Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old EDP meter vs Smart EDP meter

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Our meter is accessible from the road and is (still) read every quarter. These actual readings are generally lower than the estimates that these readings correct.

I also submit readings online to keep them honest. It seems to me that most people who complain about the consequences of high estimates (during periods of low consumption/occupancy) fail to help themselves by submitting correct readings on a regular basis.
I take care off a property that has been EMPTY since Easter 2014.
Every 3-4 months a letter from EDP arrives by post , asking for the reading which I send in Online & for the last 3 times also by SMS.
Always receive a confirmation "e-mail" from EDP.
BUT every bloody bill shows a "estimated" reading, the amounts are not high between 14.50 - 16.60€'s !
They take no notice at all & yes I have spoken to them to try to get somebody out to actually read the meter ,all to no avail !
They now by my +/- calculations have 360.00 €'s off the clients funds.

+ this client contacted myself in 2013, they arrived & the power had been cut for no payment ,fair enough, I paid the out standing amount off 228.54€'s & the reconnection charge, the EDP turned up ,reconnected & read the meter, when the first bill arrived ,they had a CREDIT off 197.32€'s.
It's just a scam

Last edited by Ingles; Mar 8th 2016 at 8:18 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:43 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
My meter is attached to the house, and we have a fence around the property.
The rare occasions that the meter reader comes by seem to correspond to the rare occasions that there's no one home. They can't enter the property alone [by law it seems].
I don't know how they manage that.
Around here, they're smart enough to ask my neighbour to let them cross from his land...... not sure whether accompanied or not......

In early December, the meter reader spotted that our meter display had given up the ghost and reported it as broken. In February, fed up with waiting for someone to contact us, we phoned and reported it again .... and a week or so later it was replaced. Whilst we were waiting for the "technical team" (of one) to replace the meter, the meter reader turned up to read the still dead meter (that's how we know he reported it in December).

So know we have a "new" meter that looks more dated than the one it replaced. Of course, they had no way to read the "dead" meter, so the two "estimated" months already billed (and presumably the next one, as the meter was still dead) can't be challenged....... and, of course, the estimates have been a good 30% higher than normal bills

Oh.... and, of course, neither the "technical team" nor the meter reader actually work for the EDP
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Around here, they're smart enough to ask my neighbour to let them cross from his land...... not sure whether accompanied or not......

In early December, the meter reader spotted that our meter display had given up the ghost and reported it as broken. In February, fed up with waiting for someone to contact us, we phoned and reported it again .... and a week or so later it was replaced. Whilst we were waiting for the "technical team" (of one) to replace the meter, the meter reader turned up to read the still dead meter (that's how we know he reported it in December).

So know we have a "new" meter that looks more dated than the one it replaced. Of course, they had no way to read the "dead" meter, so the two "estimated" months already billed (and presumably the next one, as the meter was still dead) can't be challenged....... and, of course, the estimates have been a good 30% higher than normal bills

Oh.... and, of course, neither the "technical team" nor the meter reader actually work for the EDP

Correct ,there all "sub contractors"
Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ingles
I take care off a property that has been EMPTY since Easter 2014.
Every 3-4 months a letter from EDP arrives by post , asking for the reading which I send in Online & for the last 3 times also by SMS.
Always receive a confirmation "e-mail" from EDP.
BUT every bloody bill shows a "estimated" reading, the amounts are not high between 14.50 - 16.60€'s !
They take no notice at all & yes I have spoken to them to try to get somebody out to actually read the meter ,all to no avail !
They now by my +/- calculations have 360.00 €'s off the clients funds.

+ this client contacted myself in 2013, they arrived & the power had been cut for no payment ,fair enough, I paid the out standing amount off 228.54€'s & the reconnection charge, the EDP turned up ,reconnected & read the meter, when the first bill arrived ,they had a CREDIT off 197.32€'s.
It's just a scam
Now a "bouquet" for EDP.
The meter in the above property was finally read by EDP's sub Agents yesterday 17.03.16.
I went into the EDP agent's office in Alcobaça on 14.03.16 & had a "rant" + took in the last 10 facturas & explained the situation, in the past I have phoned them several times & nowt has been done on there part.

& yet again :- I live up a long track which is full off pot holes, off of a tarmac road , one off my neighbours is not very good on there legs & the street light we have had failed , the track is pitch black at night ,there was a VG chance they could miss there footing & fall over .
Called EDP last Friday & Tuesday in the pouring rain, there guy's turned up & changed the lamp.
Well done EDP
Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to see praise being given when it's due too.

In my experience the estimated readings can be eliminated altogether if the customer submits a reading of their own between the recommended dates which are shown on each invoice - typically 1-3 days before the next billing date.

In my case the bill dated 5 February asked for a reading between 2 March and 4 March. I submitted a reading on 2 March which adjusted my consumption so much that EDP owed me. Their estimate of consumption between 2 March and the billing date of 5 March was zero. A credit note was issued on the normal billing date of 5 March and the money was back in my bank account by direct debit on 11 March. To put their over-payment in perspective, it represented about half a normal month's bill, accumulated over 3 months.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

silveshouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this and have experienced very high bills when the house was empty. Can someone send me the link the register online to send readings through. I tried to register through the app but it would not accept me.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by silveshouse
I am new to this and have experienced very high bills when the house was empty. Can someone send me the link the register online to send readings through. I tried to register through the app but it would not accept me.

You have to register 1st ,this will translate OK

https://edponline.edp.pt/Paginas/Registo.aspx

Then use this link to send in your reading's (also translates)

http://www.edp.pt/pt/particulares/ed...edpOnline.aspx

Last edited by Ingles; Mar 31st 2016 at 2:09 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

As well as phoning in your readings you can, without registration, submit readings online at Comunicar Leitura do Contador though it may not be as reliable as the EDP Online portal and apps.

You can get to EDP Online directly at https://edponline.edp.pt/Paginas/SignIn.aspx?.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

robcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
As well as phoning in your readings you can, without registration, submit readings online at Comunicar Leitura do Contador though it may not be as reliable as the EDP Online portal and apps.

You can get to EDP Online directly at https://edponline.edp.pt/Paginas/SignIn.aspx?.
Yes but I think they have to physically read it now and again