Numbers

Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of
Default Numbers

Hi Guys

I always get this wrong so I thought I would ask the experts!

When you write a number like 525

Is it cinco cem e vinte e cinco or quinhentos e vinte e cinco?

Many thanks
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Re: Numbers

Definitely quinhentos I've never ever heard anyone say cinco cento and definitely not cinco cem
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:03 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Definitely quinhentos I've never ever heard anyone say cinco cento and definitely not cinco cem

I'll go along with that, it's what my teacher told me
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Precisamente!

Obrigado e boa noite

Graeme
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

Thanks guys

Appreciated
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:54 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

It is quinhentos e vinte e cinco However if it were 5.25 then it would be cinco e vinte cinco... Notice that although the proper is "vinte e cinco" we Portuguese say simply "vinte cinco". We do not normally say the "e". We are such an economical bunch.....
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:14 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
It is quinhentos e vinte e cinco However if it were 5.25 then it would be cinco e vinte cinco... Notice that although the proper is "vinte e cinco" we Portuguese say simply "vinte cinco". We do not normally say the "e". We are such an economical bunch.....
Make that lazy. But yes I know what you mean; vowels tend to be agglutinated:curse::curse::curse:.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

And I thought it was the Algarve accent always put an e on the end of the word, so didn't need to bother with the e in the middle.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:02 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

No many letters that are written are not actually spoken.
For example: de aqui para ali… (From here to there). We say Daqui práli.

Cheers from the resident Portuguese.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:03 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

No many letters that are written are not actually spoken.
For example: de aqui para ali… (From here to there). We say Daqui práli.

Cheers from the resident Portuguese.
see he has his uses
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:42 pm
Á Boa Vida

Originally Posted by gazz
see he has his uses
That is what my mom keeps trying to convince my wife of
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:44 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

That is what my mom keeps trying to convince my wife of
could be a tough assignment
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anna58
And I thought it was the Algarve accent always put an e on the end of the word, so didn't need to bother with the e in the middle.
They do put an e on the ends of words in the alentejo...my fil says 'comere' when he says 'comer'.

G
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:09 am
Á Boa Vida

There are many dialects of Portuguese within Portugal.

For example people from the Porto area will say veijar a baca but it is written beijar a vaca.

They interchange the b and the v as if it were a form of regional dyslexia.

The advantage of speaking proper Portuguese is that although you may not always understand them (like people from the islands) they all can understand you.