Reload this Page >

Non Habitual Resident Scheme

Non Habitual Resident Scheme

Old May 23rd 2015, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Portugal, England, Thailand, soon to be New Zealand
blownaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non Habitual Resident Scheme

Don't become resident. There's really no need to unless you want to. Depends if you maintain an address of some sort in the UK. If you do - don't bother with residency as it's not a requirement.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:31 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not have to be resident to apply for the benefits of NHR
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I came in from South Africa and not the UK. I "officially" emigrated via IRS so my income from SA is as a "Tax non resident" so no tax payable in SA and now here as well.

Due to the tax treaty between SA and PT, PT has the right to tax my income but I now have immunity here.
Thank you Portugal.

Last edited by Ukkram; May 23rd 2015 at 9:57 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:28 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I came in from South Africa and not the UK. I "officially" emigrated via IRS so my income from SA is as a "Tax non resident" so no tax payable in SA and now here as well.

Due to the tax treaty between SA and PT, PT has the right to tax my income but I now have immunity here.
Thank you Portugal.
At last you are happy about something in Portugal.

I look forward to hearing more.
Old May 24th 2015, 7:27 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
I will admit to being surprised but would also not be surprised if the rules are changed tomorrow.
I think the words you are scrabbling for are "Sorry. I was not only clearly wrong but also obstinate in clinging to my misconceptions. The other contributors on this thread are a lot more knowledgeable than I."

And if the rules are changed tomorrow, that will not affect the people who have already been granted 10 years' NHR status.
Old May 24th 2015, 7:35 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I think the words you are scrabbling for are "Sorry. I was not only clearly wrong but also obstinate in clinging to my misconceptions. The other contributors on this thread are a lot more knowledgeable than I."

And if the rules are changed tomorrow, that will not affect the people who have already been granted 10 years' NHR status.
I was wrong I admit it.

I am surprised but there it is,
Old May 27th 2015, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

JPAR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ukkram

Thank you Portugal.
Hi, I got the same letter as you but it doesnt end there, you have to check your activity code. In my case its completely insane as they gave me a codigo that does not exist and is not recognized by AT. Everyone seems clueless about it but I entered my tax declaration anyway and used a random code. Now wait and see. So what code did you get?
Old May 28th 2015, 5:43 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPAR
So what code did you get?
Don't tell him, Pike!
Old May 28th 2015, 6:39 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Don't tell him, Pike!
Zo your name iz PIKE, !,
Old May 28th 2015, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I have no code. NHR was added to my fiscal number. I gave my efiling code to Tony and I think he has filed my returns already. The cut off date is Monday.
No probs on my side.
Old May 28th 2015, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

mags-eddie is an unknown quantity at this point

urgent info please from anyone on NHR.
I applied for NHR about 6 weeks ago (same time as Ukram) and was getting a bit anxious as I had not heard anything from Lisbon. Phoned my accountant
this morning who contacted Lisbon only to be told it is being processed for 2015 as I was still working and paying tax in UK up until september of 2014.
We bought our house here and registered with the junta in march 2015.
I was under the impression that you had to apply before the tax year end of the year you moved here. i.e. 2015 for us. My accountant has asked me to get proof of residency in UK for 2014 and says I will be processed as a tourist until we bought our house in march and registered with the junta., also in march 2015.
It all sounds a bit weird to me and we have an appointment to see her tomorrow to check it all out.
I don't want to miss the boat because of dodgy info.
Does my application need to be processed for this year or next?
Old May 28th 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

mags-eddie is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what I can use as proof of residence in UK for 2014?
Would documents from my UK solicitor re sale of my UK house in dec. 2014 suffice?
Old May 28th 2015, 2:15 pm
EMR
Banned

What about utility bills, UK tax returns etc
Old May 28th 2015, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags-eddie
urgent info please from anyone on NHR.
I applied for NHR about 6 weeks ago (same time as Ukram) and was getting a bit anxious as I had not heard anything from Lisbon. Phoned my accountant
this morning who contacted Lisbon only to be told it is being processed for 2015 as I was still working and paying tax in UK up until september of 2014.
We bought our house here and registered with the junta in march 2015.
I was under the impression that you had to apply before the tax year end of the year you moved here. i.e. 2015 for us. My accountant has asked me to get proof of residency in UK for 2014 and says I will be processed as a tourist until we bought our house in march and registered with the junta., also in march 2015.
It all sounds a bit weird to me and we have an appointment to see her tomorrow to check it all out.
I don't want to miss the boat because of dodgy info.
Does my application need to be processed for this year or next?
When did you get you tax number and what address was in it? If it was last last year and you had a local address, than the application deadline was 31 March this year. This is in the Portuguese Tax Act - to my knowledge, the authorities do not bend.
Old May 28th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags-eddie
Does anyone know what I can use as proof of residence in UK for 2014?
Would documents from my UK solicitor re sale of my UK house in dec. 2014 suffice?
Get a document from HMRC proving that your were residence for the previous 5 years. Might do the trick if your accountant messed up - but no guarantees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.