Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR provides tax benefits - anything else?

NHR provides tax benefits - anything else?

Old Jul 18th 2020, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NHR provides tax benefits - anything else?

I'm intending to bring my car down. I'm going in September for a few days, hopefully to establish residency. After that I would intend to drive down with the car - my question is would it make any difference whether I do this the following time (probably October), or in the early months of next year (I think it has to be done within six months of establishing residence?). Any views?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:08 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
I'm intending to bring my car down. I'm going in September for a few days, hopefully to establish residency. After that I would intend to drive down with the car - my question is would it make any difference whether I do this the following time (probably October), or in the early months of next year (I think it has to be done within six months of establishing residence?). Any views?
You can bring the car in as a personal import and get an exemption from the registration tax up to 12 months after becoming resident.

REQUEST THE EXEMPTION FROM THE VEHICLE TAX WHEN MOVING TO PORTUGAL
Old Aug 6th 2020, 11:36 am
Just Joined

curried beans is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading all the posts about NHR, my confusion is about what exactly are the tax benefits under the 10 year NHR to someone from UK becoming resident in PT by December 2020.
"Under NHR, most income from a foreign source is exempt from Portuguese taxation for ten consecutive years, as is income that is taxable in another country.
This means that British expatriates can potentially receive most UK rental income, capital gains on real estate, interest, dividends and non-Portuguese employment income tax-free.
This can apply even if the income is not actually taxed in the home country. For example, UK dividends (excluding gains on UK shares) escape Portuguese taxation under NHR because they are taxable in Britain under the UK/Portugal double tax treaty. In practice, however, the UK’s ‘disregarded income’ rules can eliminate UK tax liability for non-residents. As a result, you could end up paying no tax – in either country – on UK dividend income. " Source: Webpage of well known expat advisor
So according to the above, the tax position might be on the set of hypothetical numbers below
Pension: UK State + annuity 12000 euros at 10% = 1200 liability in PT
UK Dividend income: 30000 euros = no tax liability in PT
Am I being naive and getting this completely wrong?
Thank you for any pointers offered.......

Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another question... if one intends to work at least some of the time in Portugal (for a Portuguese company), how does this affect NHR status?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

20% income tax according to NHR, provided your job/profession is on the list of value added activities.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - and if it isn't (as is normally the case!)?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 6:01 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Thanks - and if it isn't (as is normally the case!)?
Normal rates apply - with progression (ie the other income which is tax exempt is taken into account in calculating the marginal rate at which the non-exempt income will be taxed).