Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR application without accountant

NHR application without accountant

Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR application without accountant

At the moment is any Portuguese authority collecting dates of entry and exit from Portugal?
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
At the moment is any Portuguese authority collecting dates of entry and exit from Portugal?
Not of every person or vehicle, as far as I'm aware. I'd still rather be innocent and trying to disprove an allegation of guilt (though generally you don't have to in law) than be guilty and trying to disprove it.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
And you might have a hard time without correct data. For example, if you use a toll motorway that is quite good evidence that you have been around, also, if questioned, any kind of receipt would help. And. similarly, card payments, and other purchases and bills could help in the UK. If you have no data from the country in question, then the only way you can prove you are somewhere else is to show evidence that you were somewhere else.

|I kind of think it important to play things absolutely straight, especially where Portuguese and UK authorities are concerned. I would hate having to attempt to deal with an appeal - could be expensive, even if you win, protracted and worrying.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

AlexGee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the responses.

I can easily proof, that I came to Portugal in September (bills) and that I was away via christmas (flight ticket). I want to play absolutely straight here - nothing to hide

My goal is to complete my tax statement in 2019 in China and Germany (already complicated enough) and declare my tax statement for 2020 and following years in Portugal.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...ges/irs16.aspx covers this matter.

You need to ensure that you do not cross the 183 day threshhold in any 365 day period. If say you spent all of September to December 2019 in Portugal and registered residency at the Camara in December (as required), you need to ensure that you spend no more than 2 months in Portugal before the start of November 2020 or you will have become tax resident, with effect from September 2019.
Ooh, I see, thanks for that clarification. I was assuming it meant tax yeears. I don't quite understand why it is no more than 2 months before the start of November rather than the start of September in that scenario, though.
Avoiding becoming tax resident could be tough for me; I'd hardly be able to come back at all for the rest of the year as I was here just over 3 months s in the last 4 months of 2019 so it looks like I'd better get my NHR application underway afterall. The link you provided does make it clear that I would be able to keep the NHR status for the 10 years and use it off and on for tax in years where I was elligible for any tax break it provided, assuming I am reading the legalese correctly.
thanks so much for all your help!
Do you happen to know of the top of your head whether HMRC also use any 365 day period in calculating tax residence or do they use 183 in a given UK tax year?
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Ooh, I see, thanks for that clarification. I was assuming it meant tax years. I don't quite understand why it is no more than 2 months before the start of November rather than the start of September in that scenario, though. ...
It depends on when you return and for how long! 2 months more before September and you're caught but if you wait until the 2nd September, as each day of your stay in 2020 occurs one of the 2019 days drops out of the count. If you're cutting it that fine, beware of leap days and how many days in the month etc. There are online calculators that can total up your days for you. AFAIK any part of the day counts as one day in Portugal.

... Do you happen to know of the top of your head whether HMRC also use any 365 day period in calculating tax residence or do they use 183 in a given UK tax year?
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-test-srt-rdr3 should give those answers.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

HMRC is more complicated. Look up UK Statutory Residence Test. This is the primary source, and is a complete explanation. If you also google the same phrase you will find a plethora of summaries and flow charts. It is well worth studying carefully - and in principle not as daunting to understand as it might at first appear.

Edit. Richard got there before me!
Old Feb 1st 2020, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again to both Richard and Diddion, I will be sure to read what's at the link and more around the topic.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again to both Richard and Diddion, I will be sure to read what's at the link and more around the topic.
And get back to us on the forum, either publicly or pm, for checking, clarification, etc!
Old Feb 4th 2020, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

algarvebound is an unknown quantity at this point

I registered for my NIF and got my residency certificate in Jan 2020. Do I apply for NHR status now or wait until 2021. If as expected they introduce a 10% tax in March will I still get tax exempt status if I apply after March this year ?

I don’t know if it makes any difference but I hold both UK and USA passports with all of my assets and income coming from the USA, but I entered portugal on my UK passport and have used my UK address for registration of my NIF.

I will not be working just living off savings in the USA but I am not of retirement age yet. Do I still qualify for NHR relief?

If anyone can recommend an accountant I’d be very grateful
Old Feb 4th 2020, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by algarvebound
I registered for my NIF and got my residency certificate in Jan 2020. ...
Are you 100% certain that, if anyone was to scrutinise your movements, they wouldn't be able to argue that you became (tax-) resident during 2019? Perhaps you should go and ask? Either way, getting in before the law changes (if it does), should allow you to get and keep the current rates.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

algarvebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Are you 100% certain that, if anyone was to scrutinise your movements, they wouldn't be able to argue that you became (tax-) resident during 2019? Perhaps you should go and ask? Either way, getting in before the law changes (if it does), should allow you to get and keep the current rates.
I didn't arrive in Portugal until early January. 2020
Old Feb 4th 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's still a proposal, not law but:

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
I have got hold of the proposed changes - the new rules will come into effect as from the date of publication, though tax payers will have until 31 March to request this status under the old rules provided they were tax resident before the law came into effect. Those tax payers who became resident last year have until 31 March 2020 to apply for the nhr status, but the old rules will apply in their cases
Old Feb 10th 2020, 8:30 am
Just Joined

AlexGee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

just a quick update. I applied online last Saturday and already today, the status changed from pendente/pending to deferido/accepted Though I can enjoy the NHR status until 2028 now

When you apply: ensure that your entered first year is the same than the effective date ( A Minha Área / DADOS GERAIS - Data de Produção de Efeitos = effective date).

Thank you for your support
Alexander