New Roof

Old Dec 29th 2022, 12:32 am
Just Joined

wallya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Roof

Hello Any one out there can some one please replie doing a new roof in my house and roofers have told me that is going to cost me 18000 Euros ( size of the roof 18 mteters bt 6 meters ) would that be ok or they are trying to rip me off

Thanks

Wallya
Old Dec 29th 2022, 9:08 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Roof

Originally Posted by wallya
Hello Any one out there can some one please replie doing a new roof in my house and roofers have told me that is going to cost me 18000 Euros ( size of the roof 18 mteters bt 6 meters ) would that be ok or they are trying to rip me off

Thanks

Wallya
I think you'll need to provide a heck of a lot more detail before anyone can really comment on that quote...... as you say it's on your house, I presume it is a replacement but this can range from relaying existing tiles to completely replacing the roof structure. Equally, the form of roof will impact costs - a flat roof, simple gabled roof, a simple hipped roof, or anything more complex; as will the materials used, the level of insulation, the internal finish, whether or not it has guttering, etc,, etc.

The difference I was quoted between a gabled roof and a hipped roof on an extension was more the 30% of the price...... and any "extras" kept pushing that price up. The first thing to do is to get an alternate quote if you're unsure of the price.....
Old Dec 29th 2022, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

If you have Facebook, you may want to join the Group "Building, Renovating and DIY in Portugal (No Adverts)" where there is lots of information and current discussions going on about replacing/fixing roofs and associated prices.
Old Dec 29th 2022, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hello

Thanks for the quick response I should have said that we re going to replace the complete roof (tiles ) also thet we are raising the roof 2 feet the quotation was for the hole works , replacing the existing wood and all of that goes with it we are to plleave the roof expose no drywall .alos Waited for 5 years for anyone to give me a quotation .I'm In toronto but retired 3 years a go do speak the lenguage Tired of waiting so I decided to bring a guy that will help me with the roof I worked here in Canada as Property manager for 30 years prior to that I was Manitenance Manager so i used to do All my work but since having 2 knee replacement iI can only do so much so if you have some more comment please I'm looking forward to hear from you ( by the way we are In Lourinha ) or you know of some one that can help me

Very much apreciated

Wallya
Old Dec 30th 2022, 2:44 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound the alarm bells, but if you are raising the roof height, AFAIK that is a structural change and will require planning consent...... certainly it will if it involves any changes the facade of the building, etc. I would check this very thoroughly before agreeing to any work, because, as the owner of the property, it is your responsibility, not the builder's..... and you can be liable to prosecution. Any consent will determine the type of materials used, the design and much else, so If you do require planning consent, the cost of the new roof may be far greater than you think.

If you go ahead without the correct permissions, be aware that your licença de habitação will beome invalid - meaning that, at best, you will be unable to sell the building and at worst you may face a very substantial fine and extra work before you can obtain a new licença. If you already know this and have the required permissions, then the builder will be stated on the document (due to insurance requirements) and you will find that very difficult to change. Believe me, I know this to my cost.....
Old Dec 30th 2022, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
Sorry to sound the alarm bells, but if you are raising the roof height, AFAIK that is a structural change and will require planning consent...... certainly it will if it involves any changes the facade of the building, etc. I would check this very thoroughly before agreeing to any work, because, as the owner of the property, it is your responsibility, not the builder's..... and you can be liable to prosecution. Any consent will determine the type of materials used, the design and much else, so If you do require planning consent, the cost of the new roof may be far greater than you think.

If you go ahead without the correct permissions, be aware that your licença de habitação will beome invalid - meaning that, at best, you will be unable to sell the building and at worst you may face a very substantial fine and extra work before you can obtain a new licença. If you already know this and have the required permissions, then the builder will be stated on the document (due to insurance requirements) and you will find that very difficult to change. Believe me, I know this to my cost.....
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. It's issues like this that make me nervous about buying at times. We know if we buy land we are responsible for clearing it to prevent fires, what we didn't know - an agent told us - is that a lot of foreigners buy land and don't clear it and they get fined, it can be 25,000e ouch!!! We were looking at a property that is part licensed with an extension not licensed, we were told we could apply for a project to legalise it, I wasn't happy about that, it sounds from what you say, it could render the whole habitation license void.
Old Dec 30th 2022, 4:13 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by bons
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. It's issues like this that make me nervous about buying at times. We know if we buy land we are responsible for clearing it to prevent fires, what we didn't know - an agent told us - is that a lot of foreigners buy land and don't clear it and they get fined, it can be 25,000e ouch!!! We were looking at a property that is part licensed with an extension not licensed, we were told we could apply for a project to legalise it, I wasn't happy about that, it sounds from what you say, it could render the whole habitation license void.
It's really difficult when dealing with planning permission, licences, etc. - but as a rule of thimb, anything that alters the size or external appearance of a building will probably need the work approved by the local Camara - and that means a lot of up-front outlay and time. It does seem amazing that people coming from the UK or elsewhere that has active buiding control thinks that they can just build what they like in Portugal - when in fact the process is far more complex and ensures that all the latest building regulations are adhered to, as well as controlling the type of building allowed and the impact on the area. Changing the type of roof, or the height of a building will undoubtedly alter its existing form... so all the boxes will need to be ticked.

As for the constraints on land ownership, I have to have my aceiros (firebreaks) re-ploughed every year... not an inconsiderable cost when you have almost 6 hectares to deal with! However, SEPNA, the GNR agency concerned with the environment, are fairly quick to address anyone who fails to comply..... and the fines make the annual cost of upkeep seem reasonable! There is also talk in my area of having outstanding work undertaken by the Camara.... with a charge against the property id the owner is unknown - so there are many city dwellers racking up large costs on inherited plots, unbeknownst to them!
Old Dec 31st 2022, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
It's really difficult when dealing with planning permission, licences, etc. - but as a rule of thimb, anything that alters the size or external appearance of a building will probably need the work approved by the local Camara - and that means a lot of up-front outlay and time. It does seem amazing that people coming from the UK or elsewhere that has active buiding control thinks that they can just build what they like in Portugal - when in fact the process is far more complex and ensures that all the latest building regulations are adhered to, as well as controlling the type of building allowed and the impact on the area. Changing the type of roof, or the height of a building will undoubtedly alter its existing form... so all the boxes will need to be ticked.

As for the constraints on land ownership, I have to have my aceiros (firebreaks) re-ploughed every year... not an inconsiderable cost when you have almost 6 hectares to deal with! However, SEPNA, the GNR agency concerned with the environment, are fairly quick to address anyone who fails to comply..... and the fines make the annual cost of upkeep seem reasonable! There is also talk in my area of having outstanding work undertaken by the Camara.... with a charge against the property id the owner is unknown - so there are many city dwellers racking up large costs on inherited plots, unbeknownst to them!

Bit off topic but on the point about Trees and Fire. My urban plot with house I had built only 3 years ago, backs on to a small Public Garden, which has been there ever since the urbanisation was started 25 years ago. As usual pretty unkempt, and hardly ever used. However there are 6 pretty large False Pepper trees planted in there ranging from 7 mtrs tall to over 12 mtrs. along my rear wall, at a distance of about 8 mtrs from the actual house, part one of these trees overhangs my land.
The Camara is responsible for this public space.
As such, are they not obliged to ensure that the trees are under control, considering their close proximity to property ?
The trees have not been `pruned` in 5 years (inc building time)., but once a year they do seem to `strim` the grass area.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Hello
Thanks for the quick answer . about cleaning your land We have just done cleaning our land very big land any how 2 day later the land behind ours cut on fire ( due to the owners not having there land cleaned we saw what happnened there were a bunch of birds perched on the electrical wire and another bird wanted to land on the wire and got electrouted went down and the on fire to the land and cut the place on fire ) thanks god we had our land cleaned 2 days prior to the incident And is not true that they can find you up to 25000 euros the people that cleaned our land dose this for a living and he told ust ( by the way the land was not cleaned out for 5 years we have 100 pear tree ) they only fine you 100 euros per year Thinking of getting your land cleaned before the summer starts OK if ant one has any contact with anybody that does roofing please let me know

Thanks

Wallya
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 9:25 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by wallya
Hello
Thanks for the quick answer . about cleaning your land We have just done cleaning our land very big land any how 2 day later the land behind ours cut on fire ( due to the owners not having there land cleaned we saw what happnened there were a bunch of birds perched on the electrical wire and another bird wanted to land on the wire and got electrouted went down and the on fire to the land and cut the place on fire ) thanks god we had our land cleaned 2 days prior to the incident And is not true that they can find you up to 25000 euros the people that cleaned our land dose this for a living and he told ust ( by the way the land was not cleaned out for 5 years we have 100 pear tree ) they only fine you 100 euros per year Thinking of getting your land cleaned before the summer starts OK if ant one has any contact with anybody that does roofing please let me know

Thanks

Wallya
"According to Decree-Law No. 82/2021, which defines the Integrated Management System for Rural Homes in mainland Portugal, fines for non-compliance with offenses classified as “light” range from 150 to 1,500 euros, in the case of individuals.

In the case of offenses classified as “serious”, the fine has a value between 500 and 5,000 euros." HERE
You sound like the local expat who believed others when they said the GNR wouldn't enforce the 6-month rule on foreign-registered cars. He was right..... until the day that they approached him in a supermarket car park..... My builder also decided that he could start work without a licence from the Camara, not because he was right, but because he's not the one who would be fined!

What you are fined or whether you are prosecuted will depend on the local Camara, who have a great deal of discretion.... so if you feel like a gamble, ignore the rules. However, please don't suggest that the law is not enforced....
Old Jan 4th 2023, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Hello
Thanks for the info as I said I was just repeating what my guy said

Wallya