New life

Old Dec 31st 2020, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Morro1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New life

Originally Posted by sportpix
I'm not really qualified to offer advice having stayed in Lagos for only three months but I liked it enough while I was there to buy a property and I very much hope to be back there in a couple of weeks. I arrived in August and the tourist traffic was not a problem, although that's probably because of the pox. Maybe a "normal" year would be different. I did not see any of the beer-swilling tourists while I was there - most seemed to be families or boaty types who came to enjoy sailing and other water sports available. I made full use of the magnificent public swimming pool three times a week, and although I hired a car I was able to walk almost everywhere as the place is so compact. There was a wide variety of shops and plenty of supermarkets and then on Saturday's when the municipal pool was closed the spacious car park was used as a farmer's market. There was a wide variety of restaurants in/around the old town serving everything from Indian to Chinese to Nepalese food and also a very good Italian restaurant just a few minutes walk from my rental flat that sold extremely good pizzas. In addition to the old town there is a concentration of restaurants that overlook the marina. Walking around the marina and on to the promenade was a very pleasant experience and I would do so most days, and sometimes include a loop of Meia Praya beach, which itself has to be around 3kms in length. As far as golf is concerned there must be around a dozen clubs within a 25-minute drive of Lagos but I joined a golf society that has special arrangements with a wide variety of clubs in the west of the Algarve and for which we pay on average 50 euro per round, and that includes the price of a golf cart! I'm looking forward to getting back to Lagos soon. Good luck, Richard
hi Richard thank you for the info what would you say is a good golf course to play on a regular basis?

Old Dec 31st 2020, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping myself that Silves is going to provide something like that balance of Portuguese and international. I do get the vibe that it has a distinct town life, albeit a small one. Maybe I'm being over-optimistic?

Bit late if it doesn't, of course, as I bought already
Old Dec 31st 2020, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Hoping myself that Silves is going to provide something like that balance of Portuguese and international. I do get the vibe that it has a distinct town life, albeit a small one. Maybe I'm being over-optimistic?

Only been to Silves for a long weekend but I can highly recommend The Pig Gourmet. Not much to look at but the food was superb!

Old Dec 31st 2020, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, we went to Silves and had a cofee in the square near the school. I'm looking for porperties there now myself.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

great to hear you have bought a property and Silves is definitely a place we will look at buying too. Keep me posted with area tips etc as trying to do what we can over here 👍
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

seem to be assuming that you can get residence now we are out of the eu?
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Andyj100 will become famous soon enoughAndyj100 will become famous soon enough

I'm hoping the D7 Visa or the Golden Visa routes will still be open. I suspect folk with just the UK state pension may struggle in the future
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britishbull
seem to be assuming that you can get residence now we are out of the eu?
Dual passport
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morro1
Dual passport
Sorted, nice one!
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
How many English migrants to Portugal have learned Portuguese ?
Good test for anyone that thinks they can understand Portuguese, is to turn on the news in Portuguese on the radio and translate what is being said.
If using TV turn your back to the screen so you dont get any clues about what is being said.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:53 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good test - but a severe one............
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

On my language course, I llstened to some dialogue without looking at the words and got 7 out of 8 questions correct. I had to read the questions so I don't know how I would have got on without the text. Go me!!!
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I think its relatively easy to talk a few sentences and words, because of course you are always talking about something that you want to talk about, and have time to choose the words you use (whether they are understood depends on the listener) and understanding the reply, is also easier because the answer is in response to the question you posed in the first place, so you have a head start. Rather than for example ear wigging a conversation in a bar about something you have no idea about is much more difficult.
I know less than a handful of Brits that I know can speak PT fluently, (well as far as I am concerned) and they have lived and worked in Portugal with Portuguese or married to a Portuguese person for decades. I think the same applies to all languages though not just Portuguese. Much easier when you are 12 than 70.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 11:42 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 3 years now, know enough to read a menu, signs etc, can speak enough to order almost anything in a restaurant/bar, understand enough to react sensibly in a shop, bar, restaurant etc when asked a question. Further learning not helped by the otherwise lovely Portuguese natives here in the Algarve who insist on speaking English rather than allowing me the time to have a stab. I think this would probably not be the case further north but very reassuring for the OP.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Score76
Been here 3 years now, know enough to read a menu, signs etc, can speak enough to order almost anything in a restaurant/bar, understand enough to react sensibly in a shop, bar, restaurant etc when asked a question. Further learning not helped by the otherwise lovely Portuguese natives here in the Algarve who insist on speaking English rather than allowing me the time to have a stab. I think this would probably not be the case further north but very reassuring for the OP.
Good to hear your trying to learn the lingo. How is the current situation over in the Algarve ? Rearranged to be out there in late March hopefully!!! Gutted as plans for mid year move well and truly scuppered but we will get there for sure. Keep me posted please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.