New life

Old Dec 27th 2020, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Morro1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New life

Hi we will be moving to the Algarve around July next year. After many of years thinking about a total life change we have chosen Portugal. My wife and 2 children aged 5and 4 with me and we would welcome some advice on anything that would help us all to settle in quickly. I am 48 my wife is 42 so Hoping to meet similar age groups however both of us are social people and would get on with any age group. I intend playing golf and spending more time with the children and having been lucky to have sold my business it would allows us the privilege of not having to work but at the same time not living a rich lifestyle. We are looking at Lagoa area so any helpful info or advice be it good or bad is appreciated. Especially on schools either state or international? Places to avoid ? Golf clubs with good community and social side ? Or any other local family expats that may be of help ? We also intend mixing with locals to give us a greater chance of succeeding long term. Regards
Old Dec 27th 2020, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New life

Knowing how to speak Portugese will be the best asset you could have for making friends and finding a house and, well doing anything really. Not many people in the Algarve speak english. Or maybe your wife is Portugese?
Old Dec 28th 2020, 9:41 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Morro,

Made a very similar transition just over 3 years ago ourselves, me 44, other half 37. Sold my business and bought a house near Lagoa. Initially the intention was to do 50/50 but apart from trips back to see the teenage kids every couple of months (this year has made near impossible too) the Algarve is now home. We love it. Disagree entirely with tumbleweed, probably 90% of people speak English down here. That's not to say that learning the language won't come in handy, it certainly will.

My advice would be to avoid being too close to expat areas, you will find it very easy to get sucked into other people's lives. Be a few kms away and choose that for times when you want the comfort of familiar surroundings, an English pub (Harry's bar, Smiler's, Blues bar or the Water Dog), the restaurantes of Carvoeiro perhaps. Armação de Pêra is just as close for us and doesn't get full of beer swilling, loud, brit tourists in the summer. Worth spending some long holidays getting the feel for places before jumping in with both feet.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Score76
Hey Morro,

Made a very similar transition just over 3 years ago ourselves, me 44, other half 37. Sold my business and bought a house near Lagoa. Initially the intention was to do 50/50 but apart from trips back to see the teenage kids every couple of months (this year has made near impossible too) the Algarve is now home. We love it. Disagree entirely with tumbleweed, probably 90% of people speak English down here. That's not to say that learning the language won't come in handy, it certainly will.

My advice would be to avoid being too close to expat areas, you will find it very easy to get sucked into other people's lives. Be a few kms away and choose that for times when you want the comfort of familiar surroundings, an English pub (Harry's bar, Smiler's, Blues bar or the Water Dog), the restaurantes of Carvoeiro perhaps. Armação de Pêra is just as close for us and doesn't get full of beer swilling, loud, brit tourists in the summer. Worth spending some long holidays getting the feel for places before jumping in with both feet.
Thank you for the info I am pleased to hear things are going well with your move. Just as you have explained we too are looking to be away from the tourist pack and live a more real life scenario. Do you have any advice on schools .? And we are currently looking at 2 properties one on the outskirts of Lagoa around 2 km away and the other in Salicos again a few Kms away any thoughts as to the area,s ? We have obviously done our research and know people who have holiday homes in Carvoiero and Lagos however someone living their permanent is the best advisor. Any honest truths or thoughts on the local area we would welcome. Regards
Old Dec 29th 2020, 12:04 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Both are lovely places to live. I know Salicos well, not much to it other than the houses but O Pescador does a lovely Prato do Dia lunchtime menu for ten euros. From there you have good access to Lagoa and Carvoeiro for shopping, restaurants and social life.
Depends where you mean in terms of outskirts of Lagoa. The east side towards Porches is nice, that's where we are, access to some nice beaches, restaurants and shops around Armação de Pêra and Alporchinos. Direct Transport is there to pick up weekly online collections from the UK too. The other way towards Estombar I dont know as well but some lovely places to go in and around Ferraguda.
The Nobel school between Lagoa and Porches is probably the best in the Algarve, teaches in both English and Portuguese. 20 minutes drive from Lagoa to the west gets you to Aqua and the surrounding shops in Portimao, or 30 minutes east to Algarve Shopping at Guia for anything else you might need.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

"we too are looking to be away from the tourist pack and live a more real life scenario".
Having spent the last 35 years in/out of the Algarve and 2 years living there, what you are looking for is not there.(IMO). To be with expats and live a "real life" is going to be difficult. You will speak English all the time and not learn the language. 2kms from Lagoa is not away from the tourist/expat area. You would need to get at least 10 times that distance away. If you are looking for a social life then maybe the Algarve is for you, but it is empty and very quiet when the tourists and warm weather have left. OK for a break but not so good permanently. You need to be just outside a small to a large town where the tourist trade isn't important. There you will learn the language(because you will have to). You will mix with the Portuguese and get the "real life" of PT.
We left the Algarve and now live an hour from Lisbon, just outside a small town. Can get to Lisbon( and the coast and beaches) ,Evora Tomar in an hour or so, and the Algarve in 2 hours. No tourists except passing through in the summer, but it doesn't become quiet and empty when the winter comes.
Have you thought of some smaller places near the coast round Lisbon. There are international schools there for the children and you would be near Lisbon for social life as well as other small towns.

Old Dec 29th 2020, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply and your info is welcoming. We were supposed to be out there doing some viewings and checking the area,s out this week however the worsening situation over here and possibly over there we decided to re schedule until March hopefully things mite improve. We have been advised to engage the help of a agent to sort the legal side out as extensive paperwork would you say this was necessary? Has a Yorkshire man we tend to be a bit wary !! 😁
Old Dec 29th 2020, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi and thank you for the reply. No we have not looked at Lisbon area as one of the main reasons for a change is down to winter weather. The Algarve seems to be that bit better in winter however we do understand that certain areas will be very quiet late in the season and this would suit us fine. I do get concerns about summer congestion again we have been told by friends who spend 6 months a year there that locals know where to go and avoid the tourist hot spots. Lisbon I have been told is a beautiful area and before we buy a property I will make a visit. Please post more info or any advice we are like sponges
Old Dec 29th 2020, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

How many English migrants to Portugal have learned Portuguese ?
Old Dec 29th 2020, 10:34 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
How many English migrants to Portugal have learned Portuguese ?

I claim my €5.50
Old Dec 30th 2020, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really qualified to offer advice having stayed in Lagos for only three months but I liked it enough while I was there to buy a property and I very much hope to be back there in a couple of weeks. I arrived in August and the tourist traffic was not a problem, although that's probably because of the pox. Maybe a "normal" year would be different. I did not see any of the beer-swilling tourists while I was there - most seemed to be families or boaty types who came to enjoy sailing and other water sports available. I made full use of the magnificent public swimming pool three times a week, and although I hired a car I was able to walk almost everywhere as the place is so compact. There was a wide variety of shops and plenty of supermarkets and then on Saturday's when the municipal pool was closed the spacious car park was used as a farmer's market. There was a wide variety of restaurants in/around the old town serving everything from Indian to Chinese to Nepalese food and also a very good Italian restaurant just a few minutes walk from my rental flat that sold extremely good pizzas. In addition to the old town there is a concentration of restaurants that overlook the marina. Walking around the marina and on to the promenade was a very pleasant experience and I would do so most days, and sometimes include a loop of Meia Praya beach, which itself has to be around 3kms in length. As far as golf is concerned there must be around a dozen clubs within a 25-minute drive of Lagos but I joined a golf society that has special arrangements with a wide variety of clubs in the west of the Algarve and for which we pay on average 50 euro per round, and that includes the price of a golf cart! I'm looking forward to getting back to Lagos soon. Good luck, Richard
Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:33 pm
Happiest in the sun

Originally Posted by Morro1
Thanks for the reply and your info is welcoming. We were supposed to be out there doing some viewings and checking the area,s out this week however the worsening situation over here and possibly over there we decided to re schedule until March hopefully things mite improve. We have been advised to engage the help of a agent to sort the legal side out as extensive paperwork would you say this was necessary? Has a Yorkshire man we tend to be a bit wary !! 😁
​​​Hey Morro,
My own experience in Lagoa was very straightforward. You obviously need a lawyer to do conveyancing when you buy a house. They will get you issued with a NIF. Once you have your house and you have a utility bill showing your address you can then go along to the Camara in Lagoa with this, your NIF, passport and a bank statement showing either the money to intend to live on or income. Maybe half of the women who work the counters in Lagoa Camara speak good English. They process the application and send to the SEF, you go back a few days later to pick up Residência certificate and pay the 15€ fee.

To register at Lagoa Centro da Saúde (Health Centre), take your residência, passport and NIF. You can then see a doctor whenever you need.

Neither require an agent, just a little bravery to have a go yourself. Yorkshire man myself, Doncaster. :-)
​​​​​
Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
I'm not really qualified to offer advice having stayed in Lagos for only three months but I liked it enough while I was there to buy a property and I very much hope to be back there in a couple of weeks. I arrived in August and the tourist traffic was not a problem, although that's probably because of the pox. Maybe a "normal" year would be different. I did not see any of the beer-swilling tourists while I was there - most seemed to be families or boaty types who came to enjoy sailing and other water sports available. I made full use of the magnificent public swimming pool three times a week, and although I hired a car I was able to walk almost everywhere as the place is so compact. There was a wide variety of shops and plenty of supermarkets and then on Saturday's when the municipal pool was closed the spacious car park was used as a farmer's market. There was a wide variety of restaurants in/around the old town serving everything from Indian to Chinese to Nepalese food and also a very good Italian restaurant just a few minutes walk from my rental flat that sold extremely good pizzas. In addition to the old town there is a concentration of restaurants that overlook the marina. Walking around the marina and on to the promenade was a very pleasant experience and I would do so most days, and sometimes include a loop of Meia Praya beach, which itself has to be around 3kms in length. As far as golf is concerned there must be around a dozen clubs within a 25-minute drive of Lagos but I joined a golf society that has special arrangements with a wide variety of clubs in the west of the Algarve and for which we pay on average 50 euro per round, and that includes the price of a golf cart! I'm looking forward to getting back to Lagos soon. Good luck, Richard
Glad to hear you enjoy Lagos ...
Old Dec 31st 2020, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Score76
​​​Hey Morro,
My own experience in Lagoa was very straightforward. You obviously need a lawyer to do conveyancing when you buy a house. They will get you issued with a NIF. Once you have your house and you have a utility bill showing your address you can then go along to the Camara in Lagoa with this, your NIF, passport and a bank statement showing either the money to intend to live on or income. Maybe half of the women who work the counters in Lagoa Camara speak good English. They process the application and send to the SEF, you go back a few days later to pick up Residência certificate and pay the 15€ fee.

To register at Lagoa Centro da Saúde (Health Centre), take your residência, passport and NIF. You can then see a doctor whenever you need.

Neither require an agent, just a little bravery to have a go yourself. Yorkshire man myself, Doncaster. :-)
​​​​​
Thanks again 👍 And Donny not far from us near York we are.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Glad to hear you enjoy Lagos ...
Great info and much appreciated 👍

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.