British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   New invoicing rules (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/new-invoicing-rules-784045/)

tellyholic Jan 16th 2013 3:09 pm

New invoicing rules

Hi all. Has anyone heard of, or even fallen foul of the new invoicing rules that came into force this year? Apparently it is now a legal requirement that all suppliers of good or services must issue a factura (I thought that was always the case), but we are barely two weeks into the new year, and already I have heard of two cases of people being fined by the police for carrying goods (in a vehicle) without the accompanying factura. One was for a garden sprinkler, the other was for half-a-dozen bread rolls! In the case of the rolls, the baker got fined too for not issuing the required receipt.
This whole thing seems to me to be completely un-workable in practice, not to mention a worrying retrograde step towards the days of Salazar. How long will it be before we once again need to carry a licence for a cigarette lighter?

tombo Jan 16th 2013 4:49 pm

Re: New invoicing rules

Hi Tellyholic. You are way behind the times. This info has been well
leaked in the Port. press since before the turn of the year.

I have had 2 receipts in the last fortnight from sources normally who would just
slip the cash into the back pocket.

sir recorder Jan 17th 2013 10:28 am

I really do loathe the corrupt practice that appertains in the UK; that when you go to a pub to buy a drink there is never a visible, or there is only a very poorly visible, price list for beers and ciders [in contrast there is always a clear price list for champagnes and luxury drinks]; that you never get a receipt after you have bought a round; that you really have no idea whether the barman has cheated you or not.

But if the PT police now have a legal right to search you and demand to see a receipt from the shop for the goods you have in your possession, after you have been shopping, that is absolute fascism. Is a bag of buns from the cake shop, a bag of drugs? How much must you put in the little envelope to "satisfy" the underpaid police? €50?

liveaboard Jan 17th 2013 12:55 pm

I wouldn't try to bribe the police; The bribe to beat a charge of bribery would be too high.

Ingles Jan 17th 2013 1:28 pm

To add to the above ,just to complicate everybodies life the new Computer system's required by the Finanças to issue the required legal receipt are now unavailable as the suppliers are waiting on the manufactures to catch up with the orders they have been given.

On the PT News late last week a lady has a confirmation letter off her order from Nov 2012 & the Police where going to fine her for not being legal ?????

tombo Jan 17th 2013 1:49 pm

I believe that on the Financas web site there is a "shoppers line" whereby one can verify that if you have been issued with factura for supplied goods or Services then one can check via this site that the sum involved was indeed what was paid.

Ingles Jan 17th 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by tombo (Post 10488974)
I believe that on the Financas web site there is a "shoppers line" whereby one can verify that if you have been issued with factura for supplied goods or Services then one can check via this site that the sum involved was indeed what was paid.

If the place you made your purchase has the new system & you where issued a fatura, the new system is linked directly to the Finanças New Computer System so it should show.

Late last week (10th-11th) yet again on the TV news , the newscaster with a big smile on her face reported that the Finanças System had registered over 11.000 +/- faturas since the start off the new regs !
So lets say 10 day's = 1.100 faturas a DAY :rofl::rofl::rofl:
10.400.000 +/- Population :confused:
Any body got any questions ???

sir recorder Jan 17th 2013 3:43 pm

So do we now have a completely fatuous fatura system?

So if I go to the market and buy two bananas, my transaction has now to be recorded with the financas?

Ola, how much has the price of my bananas risen by to pay for this ridiculous system? Did the poor marketeer forget to pay their VAT on my grub?

Ola, I just paid our cleaner €25 for a few hours' work. Did she declare it for VAT? For income tax? Did we get a receipt from her? No way José!!

M.Y.O.B. Financas!

Ingles Jan 17th 2013 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by sir recorder (Post 10489178)
So do we now have a completely fatuous fatura system?

So if I go to the market and buy two bananas, my transaction has now to be recorded with the financas?

Ola, how much has the price of my bananas risen by to pay for this ridiculous system? Did the poor marketeer forget to pay their VAT on my grub?

Ola, I just paid our cleaner €25 for a few hours' work. Did she declare it for VAT? For income tax? Did we get a receipt from her? No way José!!

M.Y.O.B. Financas!

Belive it or not & sadly this is true the Finanças Inspectors fully intend to "sweep" all the local markets :blink:

liveaboard Jan 17th 2013 5:32 pm

My crafty old neighbor sells his potatoes out the back of his barn, by appointment only.
And he seems to do ok.

Ingles Jan 17th 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 10489408)
My crafty old neighbor sells his potatoes out the back of his barn, by appointment only.
And he seems to do ok.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mike Jan 17th 2013 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 10489408)
And he seems to do ok.

His customers will be fined for not having a receipt?! :eek:

liveaboard Jan 17th 2013 6:27 pm

I suppose they could claim they had dug them from their own plot...
Then what?
What if I carry my own produce around [which I sometimes do]?

EMR Jan 17th 2013 6:29 pm

What about our local woodman, breadman and the ladies who selll oranges at the farm gate ?????

CAROL ELIZABETH Jan 17th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 10489453)
His customers will be fined for not having a receipt?! :eek:

Where does this leave all the tourists who want to spend their money and would not dream of expecting a receipt when they are on hol.