Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New on here...Happy New Year & some advice please!

New on here...Happy New Year & some advice please!

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

jezzyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New on here...Happy New Year & some advice please!

Hi everyone.
My girlfriend and I have a catering business in the UK. We specialize in good British faire!
In time we aim to re-locate and replicate what we offer in the UK.
We have some knowledge of Portugal having visited on holiday several times and also my partners parents live near Santa Comba Dao.

I presume most UK expats are in the Algarve...just wondered if they are spread about or there are concentration pockets? (I imagine near most major towns but are there more in the East, Central or West for example?)

Its just that when we come to locate/buy it would be useful to know where.

Many thanks and look forward to speaking and getting to know you all soon.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New on here...Happy New Year & some advice please!

From where I am, it looks like there's a lot of spread; hardly any brits where I live. There seem to be plenty in Lagos.
Be aware that the catering sector is EXTREMELY tight here, with very tight margins, high competition, and bankruptcies every day.
But by the time you get here, hopefully things will have improved.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Liveaboard,
appreciate the reply. I've got a friend who lives in Lagos part of the year so that was on the list!
Things over here much the same...but I feel if you offer something different with quality at a fair price its a decent start. I know of someone who has just started doing farmers/expat markets in North PT and he has got off to a very promising start doing the same sort of thing.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

There are always a few success stories. Maybe you can be one of them...
Several little local eateries went under in the last few months; one of them was reopened by new people and is now [apparently] doing well.
An old German guy has a place on the main road for the last 20 years, he's still cooking.
But money is just really thin on the ground here these days. Taxes are ridiculous, and unemployment is high. Revenues are sent away to pay debt instead of being reinvested in Portugal.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Hi Jezzy,

Biggest Algarve expat communities are probably Lagos, Lagoa/Alcantarilha (upmarket), Albufeira, Vilamoura - all West of Faro. East of Faro expats are more spread out but with quite a concentration around Tavira.

Try not to be discouraged too much by negativity, after all, many sucessful businesses are born out of recession. At the same time don't be tempted to think the situation is "much the same as the UK." By comparison, the UK is still the land of milk and honey in terms of opportunity - seriously.

B
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

I, our course, forgot Quinta do Lago, Vale de Lobo, Almancil.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:08 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest hurdle you will need to overcome is the myriad of rules and regulations that are required to run any business in Portugal.
If it is any guide the most successfull UK related business that has set up in the last 2 years aimed at Expats is the Overseas Supermarket in Albufeira which can hardle be described as an up market shop.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone...I appreciate the feedback.
We are not 'green around the gills' and are certainly not making the decision on a whim and it maybe will not come to fruition for a couple of years yet.

As I said we already have relatives in the Country who have just got off to a promising start doing similar.

Its just that we are coming over doing some fact finding and were just after some form of info on expat-concentrations to save time.

I'll keep you posted.....!

Thanks
Jez
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

port teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

hello

the best place to get set up would be in the golden triangle quinta do lago and vale do lobo.
its cheaper to get set up in almancil ou loulé and then use influence to get in to the market. if you are british with a british name its easier... its all about apearences and knowing the rigth people...

another thing you sould know is that to set up a business you should get a grate accountant that is experienced in the area and know a lot about the restaurant area,
if you decide for almancil, i know a grate one in Quarteira.

another thing to knw is the language because you aim for english people its importante to understand the portuguese.

in case u need more tips can give u some
no hidden agenda