Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Neighbours rights

Neighbours rights

Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

gcs075 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Neighbours rights

I could do with some advice about two things.

When buying land, whose responsibility is it to ensure the registered letters to the owners of the adjoining land, whereby they can buy the land at the same price as long as they can complete on the same day, are sent? The buyers? Their solicitors? The sellers? Or their solicitors?

If the registered letters aren't sent to the owners of the adjoining land, is there a timeframe after which the neighbours can no longer make a claim to purchase the land?
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbours rights

I believe it's the seller's responsibility to ensure the letters are sent.
The adjoining landowners have 6 months starting from when they become aware of the sale to claim their first preference rights.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

gcs075 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing that 'when they became aware' is a bone of contention.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember that the Notary confirms that this action has been taken before the final sale goes through. The estate agent would normally also ensure that the notification is done by the seller or their solicitor and inform the buyer that all is in order.
Old Jan 17th 2023, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

When my neighbor's property was sold, they sent a registered letter; I didn't get it because I was out of country at the time.
The estate agent called me (Neighbor had my number) and I told him I'd be back in a week to sign whatever was required; he said nothing was required, they only had to post the letter to me.
The call was a courtesy to be sure I really wasn't interested, as they knew the letter hadn't been picked up (SMALL town).

That's the extent of my scant knowledge of this subject.
Old Jan 17th 2023, 7:02 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

What if you don't know who owns the adjoining land? Is there a land registry equivalent where you can find out?
Old Jan 18th 2023, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Score76
What if you don't know who owns the adjoining land? Is there a land registry equivalent where you can find out?
Your lawyer would have access and of course the seller would have access. It is up to the seller/estate agent/your lawyer to sort this out, not the buyer. And the Notary confirms that all has been done in order at the time of the actual purchase contract signed in front of the notary.
Old Jan 21st 2023, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Is this requirement for the sale of land plots only?
What if the land has a dilapidated property or ruin on it?
Old Jan 21st 2023, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I understand it is just land. Many many years ago the orange grove on two sides of us went up for sale when we were still in the UK and amother neighbour telephoned us. I don't know about ruins.