Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Changing My UK car registration changed to Portugal

Need Help with Changing My UK car registration changed to Portugal

Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Champ007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Help with Changing My UK car registration changed to Portugal

i have been made redundancy in the UK as the company moved the whole of finance to Lisbon as per cheap labour, so i said i like to move and i was working for the company since Feb-2020 in the UK and just came two week ago to Lisbon. i bought my car as i have been advise that i can use it for 1 year with UK plates. now i have been told that it's only 6 months that i can use the car also my UK insurance is expiring on the 11th of this month and i am really stress and don't know what to do.
if i change the plate to Portuguese plate do i have to give uk my UK passport? which i don't want to do.
Is there a English speaking company/agent that someone can please recommended to me, so i can talked to them regarding since i had to take a massive drop in my salary and i don't have thousand's to pay for car tax.
also in the meantime is there a insurance company that will cover me temporary until i change the car over to Portuguese plate?

please please someone help/advise i am desperate.

Many thanks
Champ007
Old Aug 8th 2020, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help with Changing My UK car registration changed to Portugal

is the car a right hand drive?? If so you must remember that the headlight units will need changing to left hand drive units, it may be that both the reversing light and or rear high density fog lights will also need changing, this can be costly.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

1) First thing is to calm down and DON'T PANIC!

2) Where will you be moving to in Portugal? Lisbon, Porto, Aveiro, Coimbra or somewhere else. It would be better to identify a potential documentation agency in the region you are moving to.

3) Please explain more clearly item by item what you need to know! The Statement "if i change the plate to Portuguese plate do i have to give uk my UK passport?" really doesn't make any sense to me. These days, one should never really have to surrender your passport to any agency except a foreign embassy to get a visa.

4) You should look at extending your #UK insurance policy until, at least, the end of the year, making sure it has coverage for the #EU until then.

5) Be aware that you will have to register your presence with the Portuguese Tax authorities (Finanças) on arrival and get a NIF number. You will not be able to undertake any legal transactions without that. Thereafter, once you have arranged a place to live, you will also have to go to the parish office and get a certificate of residency and thereafter to the local town hall to get a 1st 5yr certificate of residency. It's bureaucratic but it works. Once you have your tax number and you certificate of residency you should be able to get you car registered.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have one year to legalise the car, though you should notify customs of your intention within 20 days (21?) - they will give you a 'pass', though you may have 'mot' and insurance issues, so best to get it done asap.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a list of agents who can help with the process :

https://empresite.jornaldenegocios.p...cao-Viaturas/#

the site is in Portuguese but the names and contact details are clear. Look for the city you are moving to. they will provide a list of documents that you require.