Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

MrBean is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to the Silver Coast

Hello,

I am looking at buying property in Portugal for a number of reasons

1: Investment

2: Holiday Home

3: To Live on day (once I learn the Lingo)

I have seen a few properties aroung Alcobaca area north of Lisbon

Does any one have any advice on this area?

I understand Lisbon air port is moving closer to this area, that should be good as long as it is not right on top of Alcobaca!!! Does any one know where the air port will be moved to?

Are the Locals OK with you if you are trying to learn the lingo? I know the French can be a bit snooty and cold if you cannot speak much French,

what about Work/income

I am a 42 year old male computer consultant. If I learn the longo well do you think I could get a job? or would it be better to try my own business in computers or some thing else like buying a bar or cafe etc, but I would still need to lean the lingo etc.

perhaps I can do some other sort of work, is there any type of work that may suit a Brit over there?

Any advice most welcome

Thanks
Mr Bean
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:23 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to the Silver Coast

Ola
Lovely area!!!
The locals are very friendly,I dont think you will encounter a snooty Portuguese,they will love you for making the effort

Work.........humm not a good situation,even for the Portuguese,I will let someone else comment on that!!

I am told the new airport is at Ota but in the portuguese press there is much controversy over this at the moment.
Cx
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply,

I was thinking about this area as it looks not too far from Lisbon, does any one know how much time it would take to drive from one to the other on an average day?

I thought, as I am not too far from Lisbon may be I could get some work in Lisbon and commute each day if it is not too far.

Mind you if four people go for a job three locals and me I guess they will give it to one of the locals first? which I would understand. I suppose I would need a skill they do not have or some thing like that

Any advice on the above please?

Thanks again everyone

Mr Bean
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

beachbaby is a jewel in the roughbeachbaby is a jewel in the roughbeachbaby is a jewel in the roughbeachbaby is a jewel in the rough

Can you get cheap flights UK to Lisbon?
and if so from what airports?
ta
BB
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

jsprehp has a spectacular aura aboutjsprehp has a spectacular aura aboutjsprehp has a spectacular aura about

Hi beachbaby,

Easyjet offer cheap flights from Bristol, Liverpool, Luton and Gatwick to Lisbon.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:22 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Also try BMI Baby and Ryan Air (though not sure if the latter does Lisboa).
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:53 pm

Thomsonfly from manchester
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:05 pm
Banned

Prodigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Thank you for the reply,

I was thinking about this area as it looks not too far from Lisbon, does any one know how much time it would take to drive from one to the other on an average day?

I thought, as I am not too far from Lisbon may be I could get some work in Lisbon and commute each day if it is not too far.

Mind you if four people go for a job three locals and me I guess they will give it to one of the locals first? which I would understand. I suppose I would need a skill they do not have or some thing like that

Any advice on the above please?

Thanks again everyone

Mr Bean
Bem vindo ao forum Mr Bean!

Regarding work, I would say it is better to move to Portugal when you can "survive" without having to work.
Investment depends on how much you can tie in and for how long (property is note as liquid in Portugal as in UK).

Whatever you decide, boa sorte!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reples

When you say property is not a liquid in Portugal as it is in the UK, how do you mean

Does it take much longer to sell a house?

Do the locals find it hard to raise a mortgage to buy a property?

If so which type of property sells the best and worst?

Where is the up and comming areas on the Silver coast to buy, i.e. there are they building the new Golf Courses and other facilities over the next dew years?

Thanks very much in advance
Mr Bean
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:51 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Listen.....

I'm not being funny but the Silver Coast is overrated and is full of drunkards.

Ignore me by the way
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:32 pm
Banned

Prodigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant futureProdigal son has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Thanks for the reples

When you say property is not a liquid in Portugal as it is in the UK, how do you mean

Does it take much longer to sell a house?

Do the locals find it hard to raise a mortgage to buy a property?

If so which type of property sells the best and worst?

Where is the up and comming areas on the Silver coast to buy, i.e. there are they building the new Golf Courses and other facilities over the next dew years?

Thanks very much in advance
Mr Bean
Lots of questions Mr Bean (for a ostly mute character)
Yes, normally it takes longer to sell a house and there is lots of choice.

Yes and no. Locals do not generally buy the same type of properties as foreigners and mortgages for second (holiday) homes are only for a few (although growing) and are not bought with mortgages

The properties that sell best are new made with quality materials and sold to foreigners as second homes (sea view or lots of land around)

Ate mais tarde!..
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much

What does in mean when they say the property has built in vacum system?

Also it some times says ready for central heating, does not mean the pipes are there but no central heating system is installed yet?

Thanks every one
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:52 pm

It mean there are points in the walls of each room where you can attach a special hoover type thing,instead of carting a vacuum cleaner around.

Ready for CH means all pipes are in but no rads
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cleri
It mean there are points in the walls of each room where you can attach a special hoover type thing,instead of carting a vacuum cleaner around.

Ready for CH means all pipes are in but no rads
you're beating me to the pen...
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:07 pm

Quick on the drawers me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.