Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to Portugal. What is the best way to get house contents there

Moving to Portugal. What is the best way to get house contents there

Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:40 am
Just Joined

MorrisC8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Portugal. What is the best way to get house contents there

We will be moving to our house near Penela from the UK, are there any good "man with a van" out there as we hope to get all our things in a transit type van. I could hire a van in the UK but then would have to take it back.
Its going to be hard getting rid of 25 years of stuff, but will down size to a van as we have most of the furniture, beds ect in our house in Portugal.
I have a lot of books so, to heavy to post, and a welsh dresser.
Keith

Last edited by MorrisC8; Oct 12th 2014 at 10:11 am.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Portugal. What is the best way to get house contents there

Originally Posted by MorrisC8
We will be moving to our house near Penela from the UK, are there any good "man with a van" out there as we hope to get all our things in a transit type van. I could hire a van in the UK but then would have to take it back.
Its going to be hard getting rid of 25 years of stuff, but will down size to a van as we have most of the furniture, beds ect in our house in Portugal.
I have a lot of books so, to heavy to post, and a welsh dresser.
Hi Morris

Have a look on Anyvan . com courier companies bid for delivery work. With man and a van make lots of checks because you don't wabt to find nothing gets delivered and yes i have heard of someone who lost all there worldly belongings.

Good luck

Peter
Old Oct 12th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Portugal. What is the best way to get house contents there

There are several companies who specialize in this and have trucks UK / Portugal every week; they're reasonably priced but the local delivery can be expensive [to / from their depots at each end].
As far as I know all the Portuguese depots are in Algarve. They can deliver to you with a van from there.
Where are you in the UK?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

We are in Essex.
Keith
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by MorrisC8
We are in Essex.
Keith
algarvefreight.com are in Wickford, do the journey down every week and would be worth asking for a quote
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Also Algarve Removals— International Relocation— Are you thinking of moving to Portugal? We will help you move to the Algarve! is in Essex
and Trans-Portugal, Shipping Services Portugal, Removals to Portugal and Overseas Removals UK is about 30 miles away.

I have all of them marked on Google earth.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend Algrave Freight Centre without any hesitation.. Removals to Portugal, Removals to the Algarve
I have used them twice. Rob and Andy are great guys and very efficient. They can have your stuff picked up in the UK if you are near enough to them. They do deliver within the Algarve. Not sure if they could deliver to Penela but as MrBife said it's worth asking them.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Just joined and was going to post similar question. Has anybody used a shipping firm and packed their worldly goods into tea chests and sent them to Algarve?
We have moved long distances in UK and the cardboard boxes they use, we always end up with something broken.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking the same, can you still get tea chests.
We are putting our house in the UK up for sale in the spring so need to know.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi Morris

Have a look on Anyvan . com courier companies bid for delivery work. With man and a van make lots of checks because you don't wabt to find nothing gets delivered and yes i have heard of someone who lost all there worldly belongings.

Good luck

Peter
Tip top advice from Peter there.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MorrisCB
Are you retiring to Algarve? We are wondering whether to sell or rent out our house. Can you PM me and we could maybe get in touch and compare notes?
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

We will be moving to our house near Penela from the UK, that's in mid Portugal.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Donchamb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also moving to the algarve early next year and I am in the transport business. I will be using one of my contacts in Poland who has vans, panel and soft sided, going to and from every week. If you mail/ message with your details I can get you a quote to compare with others. All trusted drivers but you will have to assist with loading/unloading
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Donchamb are you retiring or have you got a job to go to? We have been looking and unless you speak Portuguese think it best to wait until retirement comes around.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Donchamb is an unknown quantity at this point

Retiring! so not looking for employment (except from all of the jobs the wife will find for me to do!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.