Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Old Jul 15th 2020, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

They have webchat too. I can't use e-Balcão because I don't have a senha - was sent to the registered address of my NIF, which I left in 1993!

Old Jul 15th 2020, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

My NIF action plan now we've got some info here:
- tomorrow I'll try the Lagos office for a walk in. If no luck-
- Monday I'll try Olhao which Suiko has been advised is walk in ; if no luck, rpt at Faro, and if no luck again, --
-I'll do the Portimao online request. If it comes to this option, hopefully this will be processed and received by me by Friday 24 by which time I'll be in Lisbon and be able to open an Activo account or similar.
I sent an enquiry email regarding the NIF yesterday around 6pm and they replied with the requirements around 2pm today. This gives me cause for optimism for receiving a NIF online by 24th - if it comes down to taking that route.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 6:07 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Sounds like some good progress, anyway!

Does anyone know how to get the webchat option on the Portal site? Annoyingly I used it a lot a few days ago, but now I can't find it!
Is it this form you're talking about?

If so, it's available from the "Contacte Nos" option at the bottom right of the entry screen on the Portal, and then the "Information for Foreigners and Public Entities" item on the menu that's presented.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Is it this form you're talking about?

If so, it's available from the "Contacte Nos" option at the bottom right of the entry screen on the Portal, and then the "Information for Foreigners and Public Entities" item on the menu that's presented.
Thanks. But no, I already used that option too

I never found the webchat again, which is a pity as it was very useful. But I did find a list of all Finacas offices, with email details.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Lagos financas also is not walk in NIF. Woman on reception advised to use e-balcao! Said if that didnt work i could send to their office , indicati g their email on a poster. I suggested that an EU citizen doesn't need a legal representation, only extra EU, (as indicated in my post above, though i didn't say Portimao had sent it) . Her boss or colleague standing behind her said that even EU citizens need legal rep. I couldn't be botheted to point out his inconsistency with Portimão advice. If necessary, ill be using Portimao digitally anyway.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need legal representation for applying for an NIF? That is new!!!
Old Jul 16th 2020, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
I reckon he's misinformed. In my previous post i pasted the Portimão reply. Only extra Eu require such representation i believe.
FWIW, here's the Lagos financas email: [email protected]

Last edited by campos; Jul 16th 2020 at 8:43 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:45 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by a woman at Finanças in Porto that it depends on where you have residency prior to coming to Portugal. If you are a current resident in the UK you don't need one as it's EU. If you are resident outside the EU you do.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cfs
I was told by a woman at Finanças in Porto that it depends on where you have residency prior to coming to Portugal. If you are a current resident in the UK you don't need one as it's EU. If you are resident outside the EU you do.
Is that really where you have been RESIDENT before, or is it your citizenship - ie British Passport ... We came from Spain as our previous residency, but that had no bearing on our application for residency in Portugal which was based on our ID as per passports. I feel a passport holder from USA, South Africa or whereever, even moving after 10 years in the UK or France, into Portugal, would not be treated the same as a citizen of an EU country. And this is of importance considering Brexit and the fact that UK citizens will soon no longer be classed as EU member-state citizens but will get classed as the USA and the rest. Thus the need to get it done SOON !
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:29 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Is that really where you have been RESIDENT before, or is it your citizenship - ie British Passport ...We came from Spain as our previous residency, but that had no bearing on our application for residency in Portugal which was based on our ID as per passports.
The requirement for appointing a fiscal representative is one based on country of residency - if you live in a non-EU country you need one, regardless of nationality. That would be applied at the time of your request for the issuance of a NIF, as opposed to the application for registration of residency.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:30 pm
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Is that really where you have been RESIDENT before, or is it your citizenship - ie British Passport ... We came from Spain as our previous residency, but that had no bearing on our application for residency in Portugal which was based on our ID as per passports. I feel a passport holder from USA, South Africa or whereever, even moving after 10 years in the UK or France, into Portugal, would not be treated the same as a citizen of an EU country. And this is of importance considering Brexit and the fact that UK citizens will soon no longer be classed as EU member-state citizens but will get classed as the USA and the rest. Thus the need to get it done SOON !
Hi Rambling Archer the discussion here is about NIF not about registering for residency. I was told most definitely RESIDENT as I have a British passport but was resident in Brazil before coming here and she was adamant I needed a representative. This was all because she would not accept my UK proof of address and I just happened to have Brazilian proof of address which I then showed her and she said she would accept the Brazilian one if I had a representative. In the end I just went to another Finanças and they accepted my UK proof of address so the problem was resolved and I got my NIF.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

On the non-resident NIF point: does one need to do a tax rtn or another obligation when this has been registered?
sorry if it's been answered already, got kinda lost in this discussion on obtaining the damn thing)
Old Jul 18th 2020, 10:51 am
Just Joined

meninonina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dubster
FWIW...

Arrived in PT beginning March and got my NIF in Lisbon after making appointment with Financas, took 20 minutes and required proof of UK address. Went to Loja do Cidadão de Cascais the next week and supplied my NIF, proof of local address (Airbnb receipt) and proof of funds (printed online statement) - half an hour later I was an EU resident for 5 years.

No 90 days required, though I will need to update my address on the Financas portal at some point in the future - you could probably avoid this by using an Airbnb receipt for registering with the Cascais Financas instead for your NIF. If you need the contact for the Cascais Loja who deals with residency, you can PM me.

Good luck!
Hello Dubster,
We sent you a PM yesterday morning but not sure if it reached you so posting here as well.
We will be in Lisbon starting next week and plan to do exactly what you have accomplished. Could you tell us the location of the Lojo do Cidadao de Cascais and the contact there? Also for proof of address what did your Airbnb receipt look like or what info was on it? How long was your Airbnb for?
Any information you can share with us would be very much appreciated!!
Thank you so much!
MeNinoNina
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:05 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by campos
On the non-resident NIF point: does one need to do a tax rtn or another obligation when this has been registered?
sorry if it's been answered already, got kinda lost in this discussion on obtaining the damn thing)
There's no obligation to file a tax return if you're not resident.

You need to inform the tax office whenever you become or cease to be resident.
Old Jul 19th 2020, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Woodstore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by campos
My NIF action plan now we've got some info here:
- tomorrow I'll try the Lagos office for a walk in. If no luck-
- Monday I'll try Olhao which Suiko has been advised is walk in ; if no luck, rpt at Faro, and if no luck again, --
-I'll do the Portimao online request. If it comes to this option, hopefully this will be processed and received by me by Friday 24 by which time I'll be in Lisbon and be able to open an Activo account or similar.
I sent an enquiry email regarding the NIF yesterday around 6pm and they replied with the requirements around 2pm today. This gives me cause for optimism for receiving a NIF online by 24th - if it comes down to taking that route.
Hi,
Can you advise us on your walk in experiences in Lagos/ on Monday in Olhao/ if no luck then Faro.
Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.