Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Old Jul 9th 2020, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Again, pot luck. Most camara dont insist on it. But will ask you for one, as NIF section is in SEF terminal when they enter your records.

You can check that you got right & valid NIF number:
https://www.nif.pt/

Then visit local Financas with box of cakes, I mean paperwork proving your address.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

This scenario occurred to me-

One goes on a recce visit and gets a NIF and bank acc. both registered non-resident due to not finding a suitable place to rent on the visit .

If one then returns later to rent a place, would the NIF and bank status have to be updated at the financas and bank branch at which one registered initially?

So if I got a NIF in Lisbon Financas 4, for example, but then returned to rent on Algarve, could I update details there? I wouldn't like to presume...
Old Jul 10th 2020, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

You can update your details in any Financas you like, but makes practical sense to do it in local one.
Key thing to check that not only your address is updated correctly, but that also your tax status is updated correctly.
Dont take anything for granted, check everything. Saves you time going back again.
Unless you got hours to waste in queue.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I managed to find out the address on my NIF, after the NIF site didn't accept my number (or rather, it did accept it as valid, but didn't have any info on it - presumably because it was issued in 1992!)

I won't be able to go change it there, as it's in Braga and I'll be in the south. Presumably I can do this in Setúbal or Faro?

My question is should I give my current (UK) address? I will change this to a Portuguese address soon, but I probably won't have a permanent address when I apply for residency (will most likely be in an Air B&B on medium-term let). I guess I should change it now/soon to have it updated in advance of doing the residency stuff? Or can I do it later on?
Old Jul 10th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
I managed to find out the address on my NIF, after the NIF site didn't accept my number (or rather, it did accept it as valid, but didn't have any info on it - presumably because it was issued in 1992!)

I won't be able to go change it there, as it's in Braga and I'll be in the south. Presumably I can do this in Setúbal or Faro?

My question is should I give my current (UK) address? I will change this to a Portuguese address soon, but I probably won't have a permanent address when I apply for residency (will most likely be in an Air B&B on medium-term let). I guess I should change it now/soon to have it updated in advance of doing the residency stuff? Or can I do it later on?
if you are registered on the Portal das Finanças you can update it online. The process is similar to first registration, they send a new code to your new address.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, doesn't work - probably because my NIF is pre-computerisation!

I get the message "O NIF indicado é válido, mas nao é permitido determinar uma entidade associada"., mas não é permitido determinar uma entidade associada"
Old Jul 10th 2020, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

No, doesn't work - probably because my NIF is pre-computerisation!

I get the message "O NIF indicado é válido, mas nao é permitido determinar uma entidade associada".
I think you're getting that message because your NIF is a personal one, rather than a business one. Mine says the same. I would guess that a majority of personal NIFs are older than yours.

Your comment that your former address in Braga is on record is going to create problems for you if you wish to apply for NHR as you are effectively already on record as a resident. You will have to unwind that (with proof of residency elsewhere going back far enough) so you can claim that you haven't been resident during the past 5 years. I think this problem has been covered on the forum before.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah OK - thanks, Richard. What sort of proof

Should I change the NIF address now to my English one, in advance of doing the residency procedure?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Ah OK - thanks, Richard. What sort of proof

Should I change the NIF address now to my English one, in advance of doing the residency procedure?
Your address problem really only matters in the context of applying for NHR. I fear that you may need professional help to rectify this but, perhaps, the first step would be to ask at Finanças whether correcting this (& backdating the correction) is even possible and, if so, what evidence they would require.

At some stage you will need to change the address to an address you use, so you can receive the authentication password to obtain online access to your tax account at the Portal das Finanças.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need an NIF and an NHR number to register?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
A NIF you can have yes , there is no such thing as an NHR number, it is simply a tax status confirmed in a letter/document from Finanças .
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bons
You register for the Portal das Finanças at https://www.acesso.gov.pt/unauthed/n...tml/index.html and can do this as a resident or non-resident.

Application for NHR status comes later and is done, as a resident, online through the Portal.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

dubster is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW...

Arrived in PT beginning March and got my NIF in Lisbon after making appointment with Financas, took 20 minutes and required proof of UK address. Went to Loja do Cidadão de Cascais the next week and supplied my NIF, proof of local address (Airbnb receipt) and proof of funds (printed online statement) - half an hour later I was an EU resident for 5 years.

No 90 days required, though I will need to update my address on the Financas portal at some point in the future - you could probably avoid this by using an Airbnb receipt for registering with the Cascais Financas instead for your NIF. If you need the contact for the Cascais Loja who deals with residency, you can PM me.

Good luck!

Last edited by dubster; Jul 12th 2020 at 2:50 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Just getting an NIF is proving a challenge.
Thought i'd try to do it in Lisbon before heading to Algarve. Arrived at Financas 4 and they only take meetings by appointment. Try to call national call centre number displayed in window. Only in Potuguese. Later while walking down town stumble on another financas office. Woman gives me e-balcao portal info. Try to navigate it and make appointment but complete what i think is correct form and get an auto generated email, advising of same address and what heading to apply under. Give up that and decide to call unico balcao place in portimao. The woman here advises it's city hall but gives me Portimao Financas number. Call here but just rings.
think ill try to call later or tomorrow when it's less hot and I'm less frustrated.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like great fun> It seems like it is even more difficult if you have a NIF, but with the wrong address on it (as I do)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.