Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

I'll send you a DM.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not going to have the bills for my Portuguese address. I will hopefully have details of a bank account opened in July, but presumably no statements as it's app only and very little money in it until a few days before (I can't pay into it until I get a code which I can't get until I'm back in Portugal). Will have the Atestado de Residencia from the local freguesia, hopefully, as the people who are renting to me have offered to come along as witnesses.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Go down to your local Leroy Merlin. Buy something you need and get them to print an invoice for you, which includes your name, Portuguese address and NIF number. Even your local garden centre should be able to do this.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm not in Portugal yet though!
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Your bank account via your app in the phone, should also be available via PC online using the same user and password, if that is the way you can print and see more background to the account. Some banks do not put the account holder's address on the statement so check that. Shanorme's suggestion is a good one ... do it when next you get here.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. It's an Activo account. I don't have the "multichannel code", and when I called they said I could get this from any ATM in Portugal. What surprises me a bit is that I can't transfer money into the account.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear - it looks like it is not really an Active Activo account until you confront an ATM (Multibank, I think - not the other group) in Portugal. You do need that multichannel code to do anything online as you use part of it to sign-in each time. Well - it will be first to-do on the list when you get here.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep :-( I can't see why they didn't give me that when I was there - it took nearly two hours!
Old Aug 10th 2020, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

corleycraig147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lou71
​​​​​​A tax return or a pension statement can be used as proof of income.

Regarding your car, it might be better to buy a left hand drive car in Portugal and avoid the hassle of registering your (presumably) right hand drive UK car in Portugal. It depends on how attached you are to it, if you are intending to bring loads of personal belongings over in it to avoid removal costs, how reliable it is and whether it stacks up financially to register it in Portugal. I definitely would avoid trying to register a UK car post transition, it's likely to be a barrel load of hassle.

A UK tax return from earnings earned in the uk before moving? Or income earned in Portugal during the 3 month period of registration.?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

dubster is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone actually read the thread before posting previously answered questions? 😂😂
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm doing some research for places to rent on the Algarve.
Found a cheapish place south of Portimao, near beaches, in one of those high rise place. Not ideal but close to beach, nice view from high floor.
I ask the guy renting it about condo fees, on top of the rent. This is what I expect from my Italian experiences renting and owning. You pay for communal services like cleaning of stairs, etc. The guy Says cleaning "is the building's problem", " we only deal with the apartment"...
So I'd just pay for utilities according to him. Can this be right? Is it normal? Is he BSing me?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
So I'm doing some research for places to rent on the Algarve.
Found a cheapish place south of Portimao, near beaches, in one of those high rise place. Not ideal but close to beach, nice view from high floor.
I ask the guy renting it about condo fees, on top of the rent. This is what I expect from my Italian experiences renting and owning. You pay for communal services like cleaning of stairs, etc. The guy Says cleaning "is the building's problem", " we only deal with the apartment"...
So I'd just pay for utilities according to him. Can this be right? Is it normal? Is he BSing me?
Quite normal, would not expect tenant to pay Community fees that is the ladnlord's responsibility, obviously different from Italy . Whereas Spain the same as Portugal.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for feedback LA. Gives me some reassurance.

Last edited by campos; Aug 12th 2020 at 7:12 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The potential rental I was referring to above seems pretty solid but if I want to move in in September (12th) the guy now informs me that he wants me to pay the high/mid-season rate for this month, before the low season rate for Oct kicks in. I need to confirm if the Sept. rate is pro rata'd or not...Obviously I'd prefer not to pay this if unnecessary.

If I could get rental from 1st Oct though, I'd still satisfy the 90day period before the end of the year. Then in the new year, the first 30 days, I could register my residency. Can anyone foresee any problem doing it like this?

Last edited by campos; Aug 13th 2020 at 11:19 am.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Aren't you intending to try to register soon after Oct 1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.