Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving Household goods from UK to Portugal

Moving Household goods from UK to Portugal

Old May 18th 2021, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Household goods from UK to Portugal

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Thanks - I Have a stress headache at the moment but hey ho, it is what it is.
i would say just started
Old May 18th 2021, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

so how do you value a 3 year old TV for example??
Old May 18th 2021, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I'm struggling - I have been looking on eBay and preloved and trying to match up similar items. On eBay I have been putting things on my 'watchlist' to try and see what they sell for. The trouble is that with furniture, you can hardly give it away but that won't wash as a valuation.
Old May 18th 2021, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
i would say just started
Yes and not looking like it will stop anytime soon!
Old May 18th 2021, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

HS Code for the bike would be 8712003090. Duty 0% so it would be VAT - this would be levied on the value you assign to the bike plus the cost of transport.
We will be taking our stuff back in our own car, big estate. In all honesty we won't be bringing a lot back but funnily enough we were thinking of bringing our five year old TV back to stick in the summerhouse. As you say in your other post, what's it worth, not a lot when you can buy a new one for £150. (It's not smart and only about a 39 from memory).

So in the case of the bike and TV and most of the stuff we are bringing back it was predominantly purchased in the UK and taken out to Portugal. Is it your opinion that they would still be liable to vat as we paid vat on them at initial purchase?

Old May 18th 2021, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Equally strange!
And easy to change.
Yes, a very easy sort and a good opportunity to redo your bar tape.

Last edited by chislenko; May 18th 2021 at 8:03 pm.
Old May 18th 2021, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

If its a 5 year old non smartTV depending on brand and size I guess its worth maybe £25, in the UK. So value it at €14.00
But if you look on www.olx.pt. you will find some items (always good for a laugh) they work on same principle as second hand cars, will sit around for years.
No ebay portugal..wonder why ?
This all has to be a laugh, goods are worth nothing until they are sold
Old May 19th 2021, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chislenko
We will be taking our stuff back in our own car, big estate. In all honesty we won't be bringing a lot back but funnily enough we were thinking of bringing our five year old TV back to stick in the summerhouse. As you say in your other post, what's it worth, not a lot when you can buy a new one for £150. (It's not smart and only about a 39 from memory).

So in the case of the bike and TV and most of the stuff we are bringing back it was predominantly purchased in the UK and taken out to Portugal. Is it your opinion that they would still be liable to vat as we paid vat on them at initial purchase?
Yes, unfortunately and the TV will need an electrical compliance certificate - although, I do have to wonder whether checks will be as arduous coming back into the UK? I think I might be tempted to risk it into the UK, especially as you're driving but not the other way round. It's all very tiresome.
Old May 19th 2021, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
If its a 5 year old non smartTV depending on brand and size I guess its worth maybe £25, in the UK. So value it at €14.00
But if you look on www.olx.pt. you will find some items (always good for a laugh) they work on same principle as second hand cars, will sit around for years.
No ebay portugal..wonder why ?
This all has to be a laugh, goods are worth nothing until they are sold
Yes, this is the problem and it doesn't look like a lot of people are buying. I have managed to easily get rid of side tables and chests of drawers and stuff like that but I think everyone buys their sofas from DFS on credit. There are some seriously good quality sofas going for peanuts on eBay and they're not even attracting bids. The same with bookcases.
Old May 19th 2021, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, unfortunately and the TV will need an electrical compliance certificate - although, I do have to wonder whether checks will be as arduous coming back into the UK? I think I might be tempted to risk it into the UK, especially as you're driving but not the other way round. It's all very tiresome.
Just an update for anyone else who may be contemplating coming back.

I submitted a specific question to the UK gov site thinking (stupidly) I would get a bespoke answer from an actual person.

Yes, you've guessed right, I got a bot answer about a load of topics that were not relevant to the question I asked!

Total waste of time.
Old May 24th 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

A further update - it's extremely difficult to get Certificates of Conformity/Compliance. Reebok were very helpful and emailed one over almost immediately, everyone else has fobbed me off.
Old May 24th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

A further update - it's extremely difficult to get Certificates of Conformity/Compliance. Reebok were very helpful and emailed one over almost immediately, everyone else has fobbed me off.
Does this mean that you can't take electrical goods etc without the certificate of conformity?
Old May 24th 2021, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

You mean you needed paperwork from Reebok!!!!
Don't tell me for trainers or T shirt?????
Old May 24th 2021, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

For an exercise bike as it is electric. They were really prompt and helpful.
Old May 31st 2021, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

We have two electrical product that we want to bring with us. We still have the booklet which states that the product confirms to EU standards. I presume that will be enough...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.