Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving Household goods from UK to Portugal

Moving Household goods from UK to Portugal

Old May 18th 2021, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Household goods from UK to Portugal

I'm sorry but I'm really not in the mood for tongue in cheek this morning. I have a mountain of stuff that I'm having to get rid of because getting Certificates of Compliance is going to be nigh on impossible and try selling furniture these days - you almost can't give stuff away. so the stress levels are through the roof.
Old May 18th 2021, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Although it's not a personal experience, someone in one of the Facebook groups has recently moved some boxes of personal items from the UK to Belgium, and their shipping company uses DHL as the service. Needless to say, they were slapped with a 145 euro customs fee and an additional administration fee. People did question how he'd labelled the boxes, but I don't remember seeing the reply.
Old May 18th 2021, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shanorme
A bit of an update from Algarve Express - who seemed quite knowledgeable and helpful: if you have owned a house or had an NIF number for longer than a year (irrelevant whether you have actually been resident in Portugal or not), you will have to pay VAT and Customs duties on your household goods. VAT @ 23% and Customs duties will obviously be based on the commodity code of each item. There is also a fee to the Customs agent of approximately £60. The value of your goods is done one of 2 ways: what you can sell it for or what you value it for in terms of insurance purposes. If you go for the lower value you also go for the risk associated.

Electrical goods: you need to get a certificate of compliance for everything you ship.
Do you know what happens if you've had an NIF number for less than a year? Do you get the electrical certificate in the UK or Portugal?
Old May 18th 2021, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

If you have had it for less than a year, you're apparently fine to ship without VAT & Customs duty charges as long as you have not owned a house/property or had a lease for more than a year. As far as compliance certificates go, you need to get hold of the manufacturers of your goods.

Last edited by Shanorme; May 18th 2021 at 9:38 am.
Old May 18th 2021, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

If you have had it for less than a year, you're apparently fine to ship without VAT & Customs duty charges as long as you have not owned a house/property or had a lease for more than a year. As far as compliance certificates go, you need to get hold of the manufacturers of your goods.
Thanks for that Shanorme. I hope everything works out easily for you.
Old May 18th 2021, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - I Have a stress headache at the moment but hey ho, it is what it is.
Old May 18th 2021, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - I Have a stress headache at the moment but hey ho, it is what it is.
I can imagine, it will be all worth it in the end. Where roughly are you moving to in Portugal?
Old May 18th 2021, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hills behind Tavira - about 20 minutes from Tavira.
Old May 18th 2021, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hills behind Tavira - about 20 minutes from Tavira.
Ha, I remember you telling me before, sorry. My brain is addled due to severe back pain.
Old May 18th 2021, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know the score with the reverse route. Most of the stuff we want to bring back was UK bought and moved to Portugal over the last 20 years. Obviously we now no longer have receipts for the goods.

I am waiting on a reply from UK gov site for the procedure once we embark on UK but am wondering if someone at the Portuguese border or at Santander ferry port is going to want to take a fee off us for bringing back our now quite old goods, some only sentimental value to us. I think somewhere I can find my receipt for my bike and if course it is right hand drive whereas if bought in Portugal it would be left hand drive (The brakes if anyone is wondering)

Certainly last time I did the crossing (pre Brexit) the police at Santander were all over every British car, full search etc.

Any useful information would be appreciated, I don't need any Brexit sermons thanks.

Old May 18th 2021, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the reverse is going to be pretty much the same. It will be UK Customs that will levy a fee, not Portuguese because technically you are exporting from Portugal into Britain. It would probably be worth giving Algarve Express a call as they ship both ways. Honestly, I haven't a clue how one values photos whatnot.... having the same issue right now. I guess base it on what the frame would sell for in a charity shop.
Old May 18th 2021, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
my bike and if course it is right hand drive whereas if bought in Portugal it would be left hand drive (The brakes if anyone is wondering)

I used to ride all sorts of bikes; Only an old Indian Enfield had the footbrake and shift lever on the other side than everything else.

Are most bikes sold in the UK set up that way, or only classic British iron?`
Old May 18th 2021, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I used to ride all sorts of bikes; Only an old Indian Enfield had the footbrake and shift lever on the other side than everything else.

Are most bikes sold in the UK set up that way, or only classic British iron?`
Sorry liveaboard, I may have confused you. It is a pedal cycle, cycling in Portugal is one of the things I will miss when we sell.

With regard to the set up the front brake is on the right of the handlebars on UK cycles but on the left on European bikes.
Old May 18th 2021, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Equally strange!
And easy to change.
Old May 18th 2021, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

HS Code for the bike would be 8712003090. Duty 0% so it would be VAT - this would be levied on the value you assign to the bike plus the cost of transport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.