Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Algarve

Moving to the Algarve

Old Mar 29th 2023, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Algarve

Originally Posted by flatlndr
Paul,

Echoing comments from others, it's very hard to recommend the perfect town for you, even with some of your targets listed. We spent 2 weeks staying in AirBnBs in the west and east portions, having done two holiday trips previously in the central area.
We listed out the attributes we wanted, and could have easily had a dozen towns recommended to us. It wasn't until we did the full scouting trip, including looking at some housing, that we could ultimately pin down where we wanted to be, and then focused our search from there.
We also find there are very strong seasonal differences ... we personally enjoy the spring and autumn the most, find the summer too crowded and the winter too damp. Others love the buzz in the summer.
We have friends who had a similar list of attributes they were after ... they wound up in Lagos, we wound up in a town east of Tavira. I don't think you'll know what you want until you get there ... and you won't know what you really want until you've been there for a while.

Good luck!
’…they wound up in Lagos…’. What’s wrong with Lagos? It has much to offer by way of facilities and for those who prefer to burn their skin, a 6km beach which right now is having an amazing boardwalk erected on its entire length. We also enjoy the cooling Atlantic breezes which I’m told Tavira does not enjoy, particularly in high summer. I could go on …
Old Mar 29th 2023, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
’…they wound up in Lagos…’. What’s wrong with Lagos? It has much to offer by way of facilities and for those who prefer to burn their skin, a 6km beach which right now is having an amazing boardwalk erected on its entire length. We also enjoy the cooling Atlantic breezes which I’m told Tavira does not enjoy, particularly in high summer. I could go on …
The poster didn't say that there is something wrong with Lagos, just that people who had a similar list of attributes ended up in a different place than they did.
It's no different for me in Spain and I find it's too crowded in summer as the population triples, so luckily we're a few minutes drive away from the city. I knew that before buying and visited at different times of the year, but unfortunately a lot of people only find out when they move. Coming from Hong Kong you will be used to crowds, so even high season will feel like a slow morning to you.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you read waaaaay to much into my comment. I think Lagos is great. My point was my friend and I had similar points of interest but we wound up picking two different locations. So for anyone of us to tell the OP which is the best location for him is a bit difficult.
By the way, I had a very close second choice property just a bit west of Lagos. If our eastern Algarve bid had fallen through, we could have just as easily wound up in the west.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The poster didn't say that there is something wrong with Lagos, just that people who had a similar list of attributes ended up in a different place than they did.
It's no different for me in Spain and I find it's too crowded in summer as the population triples, so luckily we're a few minutes drive away from the city. I knew that before buying and visited at different times of the year, but unfortunately a lot of people only find out when they move. Coming from Hong Kong you will be used to crowds, so even high season will feel like a slow morning to you.
Yes, you understood my point exactly, thank you.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
We used these a number of years ago for longer winter rentals before we moved here.Can't vouch for them now but they were fine then.If they can't help maybe they know someone who can..........
https://www.smartavillas.com/
Yes, Rachel who runs smartavillas handled our property back in the day when she was called Gottavilla, never had any complaints with the service she offered.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul200
Britain is our home country and we are adaptable to living in a flat, as we don´t want a house with all the up keep and we are adaptable to the extent we can find many things to do to keep ourselves occupied.
Ok, hope you will be happy.
Old Apr 9th 2023, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Paul200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we have booked a hotel for a week ( arriving Tuesday 11th April, leaving 18th April), so we are hoping that we will find a long term rental. Looks like a nice drive from Arrifana.
Old Apr 9th 2023, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I thought of this thread the other day when I was walking (stumbling) through Mongkok, which is reported to be the most de Sekt populated area on earth. It was 28 degrees, overcast and with a humidity you would not wish on your worst enemy. Give me Lagos in July/August any time 😀
Old Apr 9th 2023, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone a fan of Silves or Armacao de Pera??
Old Apr 9th 2023, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I thought of this thread the other day when I was walking (stumbling) through Mongkok, which is reported to be the most de Sekt populated area on earth. It was 28 degrees, overcast and with a humidity you would not wish on your worst enemy. Give me Lagos in July/August any time 😀
That was supposed to say ‘densely populated areas…’. Wife was rushing me for dinner so predictive text took over …
Old Apr 10th 2023, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wellinever
Anyone a fan of Silves or Armacao de Pera??
We like Armacao de Pera or slightly inland, Pera or Alacantarilha.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul200
Not long only arrived Thursday March 16 2023 we Have a D7 retirement visa.
Do you have your SEF appointment yet, surprised you didn't need to show long term rental to get the D7 visa.

Last edited by appman999; Apr 10th 2023 at 1:23 pm. Reason: another thought
Old Apr 11th 2023, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Silves is lovely - definitely worth a look. Tavira in summer is like a zoo.
Old Apr 11th 2023, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Dinner in Mongkok??!! You're more adventurous than I was!
Old Apr 13th 2023, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

Tavira is perfect, but I go to Wales ,June July August. To avoid heat and tourists!
Easter also 2 weeks of chaos! When the northern Portuguese visit their old family homes! For 2 weeks a year!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.