Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Algarve

Moving to the Algarve

Old Mar 23rd 2023, 11:35 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Algarve

https://www.idealista.pt/imovel/32127061/

Just from the most quickie peek at the idealista site I note that Casas do Sotavento have several flats available within the 1,000 euro limit ( for, NB 'winter' rentals ).

This would suggest to me that a Good option for you would be to book three nights in a hotel in Tavira for asap and as soon as that is done emailing Casas do S. stating that you would like to view these places, perhaps all in one morning or afternoon, if possible. The first full day you are there.

NB the prices quoted surely do not include utilities so you make that part of the discussion, obv you must pay a 150 or 200 more pcm to include everything and keep it simple.

When you are there both CdoS and other Agencies might well have other places which catch your eye.

NB check HEATING arrangements ( April and May in the evenings you might well be glad of a functioning logburner or even central heating if it's installed ); check parking arrangements; and listen out for DOGS barking.

During your ( possible ) three days in Tavira make sure you visit the excellent local Library. The notice board there and the leaflets available may well give you some idea of the cultural offerings for the next few weeks and months.

Old Mar 23rd 2023, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

What many often forget is that the picture of the place can change if you visited at the wrong time. While it all might seem nice and quite now, how would you feel in June,July, August?
Suddenly the nice apartment complex that seemed quite is flooded with people and while some love that, it's not for everyone. Although not full time resident, it's similar for us in Spain and glad that we are a few minutes drive away from centre and avoid summer anyway. Although in our case it might be more extreme, it's still something to consider with the Algarve too.
Old Mar 23rd 2023, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

A very definite heads up for Tavira from me too. If you are looking for a nice, attractive, safe coastal town with an international feel to it then Tavira and the surrounding area is a very good option for you.

English is the second language of many people in the area and you will not have any problem finding English speaking doctors either.

We split our time between Spain and Portugal so from our point of view it's very useful that Portuguese people in the eastern Algarve understand Spanish and in many cases speak it too.

It's an interesting area with a wonderful cultural mix that works very well.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 26th 2023, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Paul200 is an unknown quantity at this point

We really want a long term rental as we have fully retired to Portugal and really don´t want to keep moving after 4 to 6 months, as my wife is still recovering from a health issue. So with all the great advice here we will book a hotel for a week make the trip from Arrifana to Tavira and tour around estate agents to find a long term rental.
Old Mar 26th 2023, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little input from me.

Obviously I don't know what sort of accommodation you have left behind in your home country but if you are not adapted to apartment living it can be quite hard to adjust.

Perhaps it may have just been me but I felt very, can't think of the exact word, imprisoned probably a bit strong, maybe constricted, somebody will have a better word.

Now back full time in the UK I can just go outside into the garden, summerhouse, garage etc whenever I want and do a bit of pottering etc. If you are two floors up in an apartment just going out onto the balcony didn't really do it for me and even with a shared condo pool you are lugging your stuff from the apartment and back each and every time you want to go and sit out there.

As I say perhaps it was just me as millions of people worldwide live in apartments but it was just something I couldn't adjust to and we were only holidaying at ours not living there full time.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Britain is our home country and we are adaptable to living in a flat, as we don´t want a house with all the up keep and we are adaptable to the extent we can find many things to do to keep ourselves occupied.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Just had an email back from an estate in Tavira, stating they don´t do rentals, so does anyone know which estate agents do rental apartments, as once we get there we can focus on them?
Old Mar 27th 2023, 9:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul200
Hello,

Just had an email back from an estate in Tavira, stating they don´t do rentals, so does anyone know which estate agents do rental apartments, as once we get there we can focus on them?
I am so pleased that you had a reply because so often I read on BE that estate agents are notorious for not answering e-mails.

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2023, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

https://www.idealista.pt/en/arrendar-casas/tavira/mapa
Old Mar 27th 2023, 10:32 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I did post specific links to specific flats for rental below or around Euros 1,000 per cal month. Those flats looked as if they might suit your purposes.

Clearly the agents advertising those speciifc flats for rental do do flats for rental.

I would have thought you could usefully contact those agents, whether about the specific flats and/ or also more generally.

I came across those flats / links via idealista.pt That website has listings from a large number of different agencies who advertise flats whether for sale or for rent. You can search by location, and impose price parameters.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

We used these a number of years ago for longer winter rentals before we moved here.Can't vouch for them now but they were fine then.If they can't help maybe they know someone who can..........
https://www.smartavillas.com/
Old Mar 28th 2023, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul,

Echoing comments from others, it's very hard to recommend the perfect town for you, even with some of your targets listed. We spent 2 weeks staying in AirBnBs in the west and east portions, having done two holiday trips previously in the central area.
We listed out the attributes we wanted, and could have easily had a dozen towns recommended to us. It wasn't until we did the full scouting trip, including looking at some housing, that we could ultimately pin down where we wanted to be, and then focused our search from there.
We also find there are very strong seasonal differences ... we personally enjoy the spring and autumn the most, find the summer too crowded and the winter too damp. Others love the buzz in the summer.
We have friends who had a similar list of attributes they were after ... they wound up in Lagos, we wound up in a town east of Tavira. I don't think you'll know what you want until you get there ... and you won't know what you really want until you've been there for a while.

Good luck!
Old Mar 28th 2023, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Also i might have asked this before but.......do any of you good people know of a good private healthcare insurance company that takes on pre existing condition ? I have looked at Medis but having difficulty contacting them.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking in the Tavira/Faro area, I suggest a drive out to São Brás de Alportel. It's about 30 mins inland from Faro, so it avoids the summer influx of tourists compared to the coast. We found the town had much to offer, and there is an ex-pat community there. We just never found a house that suited us. As you are looking at flats, there are many more options.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul200
Also i might have asked this before but.......do any of you good people know of a good private healthcare insurance company that takes on pre existing condition ? I have looked at Medis but having difficulty contacting them.
Join AFPOP and take advantage of their arrangements with Allianz. All coordinated through Medal Insurance Brokers, offices in Almancil and Portimao..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.