Moving to Algarve

Moving to Algarve

Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:10 am
Just Joined

chrisox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Algarve

Hi All

I hope everyone is well.

We are currently looking into potentially moving to Algarve(ideally Lagoa, Carvoeiro, Ferrugudo area) next year. We have become disillusioned with the UK especially after the EU vote and we have always thought about moving to Algarve because of warmer climate and more relaxed culture.

We have 2 children(5 and 4 years old currently but would be 6 and 5 when/if we moved). I wondered if people had advice on schools and lifestyle. Are the local schools good or should we look to private, are their local communities of other expats living in certain areas with younger kids etc and is it a good lifestyle for kids to grow up in?

At the end of the day we basically want what's best for our children and what with the education system in the UK focusing so much on testing and attendance we are becoming fed up of it and just want our kids to live their childhood rather than just being a number in the economy.

If anyone has any advice, thoughts then that would be great

Thanks

Chris
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Algarve

Originally Posted by chrisox
Hi All

I hope everyone is well.

We are currently looking into potentially moving to Algarve(ideally Lagoa, Carvoeiro, Ferrugudo area) next year. We have become disillusioned with the UK especially after the EU vote and we have always thought about moving to Algarve because of warmer climate and more relaxed culture.

We have 2 children(5 and 4 years old currently but would be 6 and 5 when/if we moved). I wondered if people had advice on schools and lifestyle. Are the local schools good or should we look to private, are their local communities of other expats living in certain areas with younger kids etc and is it a good lifestyle for kids to grow up in?

At the end of the day we basically want what's best for our children and what with the education system in the UK focusing so much on testing and attendance we are becoming fed up of it and just want our kids to live their childhood rather than just being a number in the economy.

If anyone has any advice, thoughts then that would be great

Thanks

Chris

It doesn't matter if it's the UK, Portugal, France etc. lifestyle can be crap anywhere and depends on your finances, skills etc. and what you make out of it.

In reality many Portuguese feel disillusioned too, especially if unemployed and read the news. I'm sure people can give advise, but you will probably have to give more details.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 12th 2016 at 11:12 am.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks Moses, yeah of course I understand that nothing will guarantee happiness! Suppose was just looking for some general advice from people who have done the same thing and whether it was the right thing to do with kids etc?

Myself I am a web developer contractor so I can work remotely of even contract back in the UK for 3-4 months a year, my thinking would be we would go back in the summer holidays to spend time with family while I got a contract, we also would rent out our UK house at first in case it didn't work and we wanted to come back!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

Careful, you may just be getting rid of one lot of problems and taken on another. It is not all milk and honey over here you know. Sorry to be so pessimistic but we all live in the real world. We have been living here for 10 years and would not have changed that, but it has not been easy. Best of luck with your venture.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lentisc - Again I do understand it's not going to be easy but just wanted some advice from people with Children really, the thing is if we don't do it we never know, if we try and it wasn't for us then at least we gave it a go!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Change before you have to is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Chrisox - I can give you my comments as a Portuguese who return to Portugal from the UK with a daughter with nearly 5 years old. First, I absolutely support the public system of Education (and Health) that I consider to be of very good quality in Portugal, obviously with regional variations. Between other aspects, Portuguese system gives plenty of room for children to be children and not to be formatted at a very early age. Also children tend to grown up in a more 'warm feeling' culture what will translate in their personalities as adults. I believe education should not be concentrated only on 'success' and results translated in business opportunities to get the best payed jobs in the world but rather in preparing responsible, creative, friendly and happy human beings.
In practical terms, also your children can be involved in a lot of activities for a very low cost. I can give my own example: for a cost lower than 100 EUR my daughter has hot meals in the school canteen, attends musical classes (instrument and music theory), and has swimming lessons and dance classes. At the beginning the language will be a barrier for your children, specially for the older one as he/she will come straight to the 1st year (school in PT start in the year children complete 6 years old). But they are quite young and they will pick up very quickly - my daughter is growing up with three languages and that is not a problem.
It is a difficult decision to take but if you can keep your job working from PT and keep your house in the UK as a plan B, then I think you are taking the right steps to minimize risk. If that is what you feel you should be making then go for it!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank for the reply, kind of what we are thinking in terms of the kids - They do tests at 7 years old now here, it's crazy!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Change before you have to
Dear Chrisox - I can give you my comments as a Portuguese who return to Portugal from the UK with a daughter with nearly 5 years old. First, I absolutely support the public system of Education (and Health) that I consider to be of very good quality in Portugal, obviously with regional variations. Between other aspects, Portuguese system gives plenty of room for children to be children and not to be formatted at a very early age. Also children tend to grown up in a more 'warm feeling' culture what will translate in their personalities as adults. I believe education should not be concentrated only on 'success' and results translated in business opportunities to get the best payed jobs in the world but rather in preparing responsible, creative, friendly and happy human beings.
In practical terms, also your children can be involved in a lot of activities for a very low cost. I can give my own example: for a cost lower than 100 EUR my daughter has hot meals in the school canteen, attends musical classes (instrument and music theory), and has swimming lessons and dance classes. At the beginning the language will be a barrier for your children, specially for the older one as he/she will come straight to the 1st year (school in PT start in the year children complete 6 years old). But they are quite young and they will pick up very quickly - my daughter is growing up with three languages and that is not a problem.
It is a difficult decision to take but if you can keep your job working from PT and keep your house in the UK as a plan B, then I think you are taking the right steps to minimize risk. If that is what you feel you should be making then go for it!
When it comes to language, kids pick up very easy and I don't see any issues, so I agree there. When it comes to kids being kids, I don't see what that would have to do with the country you live in. I've seen kids being kids in most countries, be it Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland or even Iceland. It's just personal choice and opinion and we all live different. I doubt the kid in a rough part of Lisbon will be happier than the kid in a rural part of the UK vice versa. Being Portuguese, you have a huge advantage with the language, but what about the OP? Ironically you say children can be involved in activities at a very low cost, but why is it cheap? Probably because someone isn't earning enough and at the end of the day you take advantage of that, so it's always the same. Just saying that you still have the same challenges and it can be better or worse.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
When it comes to language, kids pick up very easy and I don't see any issues, so I agree there. When it comes to kids being kids, I don't see what that would have to do with the country you live in. I've seen kids being kids in most countries, be it Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland or even Iceland. It's just personal choice and opinion and we all live different. I doubt the kid in a rough part of Lisbon will be happier than the kid in a rural part of the UK vice versa. Being Portuguese, you have a huge advantage with the language, but what about the OP? Ironically you say children can be involved in activities at a very low cost, but why is it cheap? Probably because someone isn't earning enough and at the end of the day you take advantage of that, so it's always the same. Just saying that you still have the same challenges and it can be better or worse.
Of course there are always challenges but I suppose what we want to find out is will our kids be happier growing up in the UK or in Algarve. My daughter starts school in Sept and she hasn't even turned 4 yet! Then my son is supposed to take tests next year and he's not even 6 ! Also it's bloody cold and dark in winter!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Change before you have to is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you make some good points but in my opinion you miss some indepth knowledge of this country and culture. All the activities that my child attend are public run or are supported by the state and payment is defined by the state. I contribute with my taxes for all the children to have access to these conditions, wherever they live in the country and irrespective if they are Portuguese or from the Moon - I don't have problems with migration. I don't take advantage of 'low wages', these activities are at a good price because they are charged in agreement with people income and are design having children in first place. I give you an example. The nursery for my daughter in Oxfordshire back in 2014 cost me around £900 per month. This were probably about the wages after taxes of most of the people working at the nursery. When we return to PT, the maximum cost for the nursery at the town we live in the north of Portugal, without claiming benefits, cost us 150 EUR. The minimum wages in PT are at the moment 530 EUR for 14 months or 618 EUR for 12 months. So, on the end of the day who was taking advantage of someone not being payed enough?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 6:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Carvoeiro has a private nursery and an infants, junior school.
The seniors attend their school in Lagoa.
The international school is in nearby Porches.
Carvoeiro has a village feel and only gets really busy from from mid june to mid september.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Change before you have to
Well, you make some good points but in my opinion you miss some indepth knowledge of this country and culture. All the activities that my child attend are public run or are supported by the state and payment is defined by the state. I contribute with my taxes for all the children to have access to these conditions, wherever they live in the country and irrespective if they are Portuguese or from the Moon - I don't have problems with migration. I don't take advantage of 'low wages', these activities are at a good price because they are charged in agreement with people income and are design having children in first place. I give you an example. The nursery for my daughter in Oxfordshire back in 2014 cost me around £900 per month. This were probably about the wages after taxes of most of the people working at the nursery. When we return to PT, the maximum cost for the nursery at the town we live in the north of Portugal, without claiming benefits, cost us 150 EUR. The minimum wages in PT are at the moment 530 EUR for 14 months or 618 EUR for 12 months. So, on the end of the day who was taking advantage of someone not being payed enough?
No offence and it has nothing to do with Portugal, but as you say it's public run. So at the end of the day other people are paying, regardless if they have kids or not. What is better or worse depends how it personally affects you, so it's no different to most other countries. The person on minimum wage in Portugal will be unhappy paying the fees you pay, but for others it's fine. Because it's an advantage for you personally, it just seems better. I just don't agree that kids in other countries (UK etc.) are formatted at a very early age.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:01 am
Just Joined

EMR - thanks for advice, we have been to Carvoeiro many times(we are actually going in two weeks time!) and we also know someone who lives there so it would be the ideal place for us at the moment.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:27 am
Just Joined

No offence and it has nothing to do with Portugal, but as you say it's public run. So at the end of the day other people are paying, regardless if they have kids or not. What is better or worse depends how it personally affects you, so it's no different to most other countries. The person on minimum wage in Portugal will be unhappy paying the fees you pay, but for others it's fine. Because it's an advantage for you personally, it just seems better. I just don't agree that kids in other countries (UK etc.) are formatted at a very early age.
I just wanted to clarify that we don't have a bad life in the UK and it's certainly treats people well here but we are in a lucky position where we could move abroad but we need to get as much information about what kind of life our kids will have in Portugal compared to UK. We are not rich or anything like that(I am originally from a council estate in High Wycombe!) it's something we(myself and my wife) have always talked about trying as I don't think we are suited the UK lifestyle. Would also like to be part of the EU too but that's another matter
Old Jul 13th 2016, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrisox
I just wanted to clarify that we don't have a bad life in the UK and it's certainly treats people well here but we are in a lucky position where we could move abroad but we need to get as much information about what kind of life our kids will have in Portugal compared to UK. We are not rich or anything like that(I am originally from a council estate in High Wycombe!) it's something we(myself and my wife) have always talked about trying as I don't think we are suited the UK lifestyle. Would also like to be part of the EU too but that's another matter
No worries and it wasn't in relation to you. Just think that many people complain about the UK, but it isn't always better elsewhere. People will always argue what's best for children, but in reality many parents just think what's good for them, will automatically be good for their kids.

If we like it or not, the reality is that kids will eventually need a job to survive and tests at school are the norm in most countries. Every location/school can make a difference, but I wouldn't say Portugal or other countries will automatically offer kids a better life. It's up to each individual to create their own lifestyle and some locations work out better than others. I left the UK for Ireland and also love parts of Spain , but just because the weather is better over there doesn't mean it's a better lifestyle. I see plenty of happy kids here in the West of Ireland who play outside, have space for horses and other animals, while I know some kids in Spain/Portugal who play computer all day inside. Some kids in the UK do nothing, but others do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.