Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving after Brexit

Moving after Brexit

Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:57 am
Just Joined

PaulV7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving after Brexit

Hi everyone, myself and my partner are looking to move away from the UK, we would like to hear from anyone who has moved to Portugal after brexit. It would be good to have a bit of a heads up on any pit falls in the application procedures and also the latest on any taxes on pensions and incomes made while in the uk and import duties while moving items we own (like our motorcycles). Thank you
Old Sep 4th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving after Brexit

Your first step, if you haven't already done so, is to read lots of very useful and uptodate information on the UK Government's website for UK citizens moving to Portugal. It explains a lot ...
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal

Important to note that to apply to become a Resident in PT as a non-EU citizen, you have to apply for a special visa from the PT Consulate in your current country of residence - you cannot do it from inside Portugal !! You can come on visits first to check out where you would want to be, and whether you need to find work, etc. Also browse through the forum where there is lots of information already posted since the Brexit final withdrawal.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Eddie5425 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul,
We have almost finished the process of getting a long stay visa via VFS Global who are the intermediary for the Portuguese consul.
Just be aware they are a nightmare. You have to apply via them at which ever office falls under the county you live in just hope its not the London office the others seem to get a better feedback.
They have had all my documentation now it took two visits from Dorset not an uncommon occurrence I found out Finally I knew I was getting some where when they asked for my money..
A month later we are still waiting for our passports to be returned.
You Need:
Application For National Visa ( Residence & Temporary Stay) downloadable of the consul website .plus two passport photos
Criminal records check permission form for the Portuguese authorities Downloadable off the website (Declaracao De Autorizacao)
British Criminal records certificate £23.00 available online Gov.uk
A years travel Insurance I used Axa Schengen
Proof of Rental or ownership of residence or place to stay permission
At least £8000.00 in a Portuguese bank account each ( Michael at Millenium London is a good guy)
Six months British Bank Statements
Passport
I think that's all I think

Patience
​​​​​​​
There are other Threads on the subject around August / September on this website..
I would like to have had a Certifcado de Bagagem for our belongings in the van but I need the visa stamp in my passport for that but its all taking too long so will just have to wing it. That's If the passport comes back from VFS Global this month

Best of Luck
Eddie

Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulV7
Hi everyone, myself and my partner are looking to move away from the UK, we would like to hear from anyone who has moved to Portugal after brexit. It would be good to have a bit of a heads up on any pit falls in the application procedures and also the latest on any taxes on pensions and incomes made while in the uk and import duties while moving items we own (like our motorcycles). Thank you
Well I certainly don't blame you for wanting out of the UK!

Portugal is an excellent choice and much easier for third country nationals to relocate to than many other EU states. Iberia happens to be a great place to live too.

Sorry to state the obvious but it needs saying. There is a huge difference between good old EU freedom of movement and non-EU immigration (which UK nationals moving to the EU now have to face, sadly) and obviously the latter is much more difficult and a completely different ball game as explained by Eddie above.

If one of you is eligible for an Irish (or other) EU passport, it will make your lives a million times easier.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi Paul,
I forgot to add two things.
Proof of income pension or whatever.

On the Vfs website apply for appointments individually and try to get them on the same day. The website is glitchy and will not handle multiple applications all the time.
We were advised to apply individually by someone on this forum and it worked. We would never have got an appointment for ages otherwise our first took six weeks.
The people on reception at Vfs will put you both up as one appointment when you turn up together.

Good Luck
Eddie
Old Sep 5th 2021, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Paul

At our interview at the consulate in Manchester, our case handler asked us to provide proof of health insurance, I produced our GHIC card and he said 'oh that will do instead then' basically its a replacement for the EHIC card (now defunct for brits due to brexit) it is free and you apply on gov.co.uk takes about 2 weeks to arrive, apply for one for each person not as a family................ saves you the expense of a private policy.

Cheers
Andy.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

oh.......and I only found out on Friday last week that if you want to matriculate any vehicle into PT make sure you have a recent utility bill with you, as without it it is apparently harder to do..........bit of a bummer for us as all of our bills in the UK where 'paperless' and we have sold the house there anyway.............not sure how that is going to 'pan out' but you can rest assured it will be more complicated and more expensive ...............hey ho !
Old Sep 6th 2021, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paul,
I also forgot the "Letter Of Motivation".

Eddie
Old Sep 6th 2021, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andywally
oh.......and I only found out on Friday last week that if you want to matriculate any vehicle into PT make sure you have a recent utility bill with you, as without it it is apparently harder to do..........bit of a bummer for us as all of our bills in the UK where 'paperless' and we have sold the house there anyway.............not sure how that is going to 'pan out' but you can rest assured it will be more complicated and more expensive ...............hey ho !
It's not just a utility bill you will need if you wish to bring a car into Portugal when you move. Have a search on this site for importing car - load of paperwork to be done as well as technical inspection. Best to find an agent to help you through the process, can cost about €400 - €500..
Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Eddie,
Which long stay visa are you applying for please?
Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Appman,
We used the : Portugal - Application for a National Visa form available on the consular website to apply and ticked the box for Two entries (National visa) Question 27 Number of entries requested.
Vfs seemed happy with this thank god.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is the residency visa and is for 2 visits and 4 months. What did you answer for Q23, purpose of journey?

Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Retired
Old Sep 6th 2021, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Eddie.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Hiya Loafing along................yeah I realise that there are several components to the matricualtion process, discovering that I needed a utility bill came after speaking to an agent last friday re; said issue..................and I thought I had most of the paperwork in order 'certificate of conformity' etc etc...............the utility bill will be the one that trips me up though as like I said all of the bills in the UK where paperless and we have sold the house there now................the agent suggested it might be easier to take the car back to the UK sell it then buy another one in PT......which means to buy the same vehicle here of the same year it will coast us quite considerably, buy hey ho............I never assumed that all of this was going to be easy :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.