Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

to move or not to move in 2020 - residency questions

Wikiposts

to move or not to move in 2020 - residency questions

Old Jun 25th 2020, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to move or not to move in 2020 - residency questions

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Campos quoted - "Declaração, sob compromisso de honra"
- need to have confirmation on my opinion here, but isn't this just a "declaration on your honour" - ie you tick the box in the on-line application on the Finanças website, for the NHR status. No need for notary etc? Finanças retain the option to check your details and your status at a later date if they feel the need, otherwise they take it on trust? I am sure that is what we did ... six months or more ago and we haven't heard anything from Finanças since (fingers crossed!)
I hope this is all that's required
thank you
Old Jun 25th 2020, 5:52 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Thanks for this. I'll go through these really useful comments later when I have a bit more time.

Riv - just to clarify one or two things in your post which I hadn't made clear....

I don't normally work remotely - this is only due to COVID. I am highly likely (though not 100% certain - the company may just question the way things have been done so far) to have to go back into the office on a regular basis when things calm down. And the redundancy is also not certain - it's just a feeling I have due to the fact that I'm no longer essential in a declining market. The payment would be about £30,000 - one month for each of 20 years' work there. I would in any case almost certainly retire at 60 (in 4 years) - that was always the plan. Hope that clarifies things!

I would just give up my job, but as it pays way better than any work i'm ever going to get teaching English in Portugal, it's highly tempting not to for the time being (unless this cause problems with Portuguese residence, which is my no 1 priority).
Well......... thirty grand is not to be sniffed at : not knowing anything about the company, it occurs to me to wonder whether there might be an option to negotiate an earlier redundancy in exchange for less dosh ?

Have you checked whether you have an option to buy additional years in your UK state pension ? [ is that still a thing ? ]

Also.......... although the company may not wish ( for good reason ) to continue as during Covid with remote working.........I have seen speculation that some companies may wish to hybridise, ie allowing / encouraging some workers to work part of the time from home, part attending the office.

Maybe there would be a negotiation whereby you could spend seven months of the year away from the office and 5 months attending ( so in the UK, but for less than six months of the year ) ?
Just a thought.

Personally if it was me I would anyway want to sell up the house, if a good price is to be had this summer : bank the cash ( in Portugal ) and rent a hovel walking distance from the work place for as long as necessary till I could make the move. Just my random thoughts.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Curious as to why you'd "bank the cash" in Portugal - currency movements?

The company is a biggish one and not known for its flexibiity. They may change their ways, but I think it'll take time. I'm tempted to do the bureaucratic stuff in Portugal, register for NHR status and just carry on working for the moment. Obviously gets more difficult when (if?) they want me back n the office - but presumably even then I could work from January to June in UK before going to Portugal in July to make up my 183 days? As I understand this this year won't matter where I am as I'd be there as an EU citizen and so there wouldn't be any controls on my movements?
Old Jun 28th 2020, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Campos quoted - "Declaração, sob compromisso de honra"
- need to have confirmation on my opinion here, but isn't this just a "declaration on your honour" - ie you tick the box in the on-line application on the Finanças website, for the NHR status. No need for notary etc? Finanças retain the option to check your details and your status at a later date if they feel the need, otherwise they take it on trust? I am sure that is what we did ... six months or more ago and we haven't heard anything from Finanças since (fingers crossed!)
I see this virtual affidavit in applying for NHR status, but do you need proof of income when applying for residency, or is it a tick box exercise also?
Old Jun 28th 2020, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
I see this virtual affidavit in applying for NHR status, but do you need proof of income when applying for residency, or is it a tick box exercise also?
You don't 'apply' for residency, you just register your residency if you come before the end of this year as British citizen (still treated as EU citizen during transitional period), some camara may want to see your bank statement etc.
If you apply residency as third national, that will be done through SEF and depends on what ground, I think you will need to show the proof of income.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, my mistake. Register for residency. I have a memory of someone somewhere saying that a camera asking an EU citizen for income proof is not correct procedure even if they might do it. I'll try to find out where it was...
Old Jun 28th 2020, 5:38 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Yes, my mistake. Register for residency. I have a memory of someone somewhere saying that a camera asking an EU citizen for income proof is not correct procedure even if they might do it. I'll try to find out where it was...
There was a bit of discussion about it on this quite short thread : More questions about residency

Last edited by Red Eric; Jun 28th 2020 at 5:40 am.