Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle License

Motorcycle License

Old Nov 24th 2016, 4:01 am
Ton
Just Joined

Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Motorcycle License

Does anyone have any experience of going through the Portuguese Motorcycle Test process to obtain a full license?

Any insight or anecdotal evidence would be useful, thanks.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle License

I got ripped off for mine!
After holding a bike license and using it for 35 years.
When I exchanged it for my Portuguese license I didn't realize the motorbike section is only for 125cc.

Sorry, I know that's not answering the query. I just have this urge to vent...

Best to go through one of the driving schools. they'll get you through the labyrinth.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
When I exchanged it for my Portuguese license I didn't realize the motorbike section is only for 125cc.

Best to go through one of the driving schools. they'll get you through the labyrinth.
Surely that's the fault of the PT IMTT & I'd have thought it'd be relatively easy to make them correct their error....... If all else fails, could you not go to the UK DVLA & have them give you written confirmation of what classes you're qualified to drive & then take it to IMTT....... or even better, pay a driving school to do the IMTT visit for you?

Regarding the PT test, I'm told the course & test can be done in English if that's any help.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 12:20 pm
Ton
Just Joined

Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard

Good to know, thanks. Was your original license obtained from an EU Country? If so, your full entitlement should have been honoured.

A 125cc entitlement won't be much use for a S1000R so I had better get this right the first time!
Old Nov 24th 2016, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I had a US license; they honored the car part [but busted me from 11 tons down to 3.5]. By the time I noticed the motorbike license was 125cc, a year had passed and I just couldn't be bothered.
I sold my last motorbike when I got here and have no plans to get another one.

It's not that motorcycles are dangerous; it's that I'm dangerous...
Old Nov 25th 2016, 4:11 am
Ton
Just Joined

I understand that sentiment. I learn to ride in Thailand and have had a few close calls, mainly due to external factors but it is easy to get a little carried away sometimes.

Thanks for the input chaps.