Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

mobile phone service (or no service actually)

mobile phone service (or no service actually)

Old Sep 28th 2022, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute
Default mobile phone service (or no service actually)

We both have a sim card with a fone operator who I cannot name but lets say they trade in the UK under the same name, so recently we moved home 8 months into a 2 year fone contract, there is absolutely zero signal, either in the house or outside, odviously tried it outside to allow for the thickness of the walls hindering the signal, but it did not make any difference, we had to walk about 100mts up the hill to get a decent signal, the only way the fones worked in the house was using a dongle with a data sim in it and using watsapp, the technical dept could not ring us to help as they were using the fones signal and not watsapp.

So.......... I filled in the 'online complaints book' directly from the service providers website, I got a response about a week later, which stated 'the service in that area is average, and we have no plans for any upgrades, and if you cancel the contract ( or basically just refuse to pay it) we will apply charges' ............ they can quite clearly see from the call log that the service is not being used as is not fit for purpose............ so anyway we swapped to another provider and the service has improved to the point where we can use the fones outside with good signal, and inside it is patchy but still has a signal and is at least useable.

So we now have 2 contracts 1 that is fit for purpose, and one that is absolutely useless, and they are insisting that I honour the contract, not sure what to do next (if there is anything that I can do ) any ideas anybody ? what is the likelyhood of them actually chasing you up so to speak.
Old Sep 29th 2022, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

MGFR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mobile phone service (or no service actually)

Throughout the EU, one can switch from one operator to another, either within the contractual period or at the end of it, with the right to keep your original telephone number. If you are within the contractual period, there will be penalties, but the penalty amount will depend on whether you have a broad contract (ie TV+internet+voz(fixed line)+ movel (sim card) or whether you have a contract only for the SIM, and what your negotiating skills are like. Not clear what your situation is.
But the first thing to find out is whether an alternative SIM provider has significantly better reception in the area in which you are located as this means no infrastructural costs, which is what your current provider may be faced with. Check with friends, or borrow one of their SIM cards to check in your location. If yes, then (i) you could call those providers with better reception what it would take (costs etc) to switch to them as a provider, especially if you want to keep your number - "portabilidade de nĂºmero". Ironically, the best advice may well come from the competition, who will want you as a new customer. And (ii) check on penalties for switching to another provider or cancelling a contract midway from the current provider - as it may be worth waiting until the end of the contractual period in terms of costs.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I use Smarty sims ( https://smarty.co.uk/ }

No contract, monthly payment, cancel anytime,

I took out 2 sims last year whilst in London

One sim in my phone the other unlimited data sim in a Mifi unit I run my PC from ( Internet without landline )

When out of the UK I can ring worldwide at no extra cost from my mobile.

Unfortunately when in the UK I cannot ring abroad.except by using whatsapp
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Same with Superdrug mobile, both use the 3 network in UK and can connect to all PT providers except Vodafone (well with mine it cant). But that is good depending on where you are.
There is a Fair use policy for data when not in UK which limits it to about 12GB/mth, but I make calls of an hour or more to PT numbers and anywhere else in the EU and UK included in my allowance. But I do find it odd that when in UK you can only call UK numbers (which you can call if a UK number is in the EU), and not EU numbers.
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Theoretically Superdrug Mobile Fair Use Roaming also has a maximum 60 day limit.
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

With the Smarty sim and therefore I presume the Superdrug sim your phone will automatically pick the strongest singnal available, Changing networks if necessary assuming Smarty has an agreement with the provider.

When I am in Gib my phone often roams on a Spanish network as well as Gibtelecom.

At £6 a month for the cheapest sim it is well worth a try.
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

we are fulltime residents here though and not travelling back every 90 days
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
Theoretically Superdrug Mobile Fair Use Roaming also has a maximum 60 day limit.
Yes they may well do, but I have not encountered it yet, although I did come away from PT in July and will return this month,
I was there from Oct 2021 until July 2022 and used it as a supplement to my MEO data contract when MEO is not a good reception.
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
With the Smarty sim and therefore I presume the Superdrug sim your phone will automatically pick the strongest singnal available, Changing networks if necessary assuming Smarty has an agreement with the provider.

When I am in Gib my phone often roams on a Spanish network as well as Gibtelecom.

At £6 a month for the cheapest sim it is well worth a try.
Yes I think it probably does, but as you say it can be changed to any other except Vodafone, who I guess have it sown up with Vodafone UK
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by andywally
we are fulltime residents here though and not travelling back every 90 days
I have used a Smarty sim in Gib for well over 12 months without returning to the UK

Give it a try, what do you have to lose?
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The OP stated in the first post he has a usable service from another local provider.

The issue is the first provider who refuses to release the OP from a useless contract.

My neighbor had a similar issue with fixed line service package; he moved house and they told him he could get a new contract for the place, but he'd still have to pay out what was left on his first contract at his old place. They refused to change the location.
And this guy is an educated Portuguese person.

He did get a new contract, but with a different provider (of course).
Unfortunately, these firms think that "customer service" is the service a customer performs for the company.

Last edited by liveaboard; Oct 2nd 2022 at 4:41 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 5:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
The OP stated in the first post he has a usable service from another local provider.

The issue is the first provider who refuses to release the OP from a useless contract.

My neighbor had a similar issue with fixed line service package; he moved house and they told him he could get a new contract for the place, but he'd still have to pay out what was left on his first contract at his old place. They refused to change the location.
And this guy is an educated Portuguese person.

He did get a new contract, but with a different provider (of course).
Unfortunately, these firms think that "customer service" is the service a customer performs for the company.
I agree - and unfortunately the law often backs them up.

The saga of my 5-year dispute with a builder is because, basically, I signed a contract that had been based on lies. When this became apparent, I halted the work - and nobody disputes that the work could not continue. However, the builder then asked for a final bill to be paid - which basically was for the next month's work....... so I refused. It has taken 5 years so far to get an assessment whether I had, or had not, paid for the work done, meanwhile the work cannot be completed As far as the court is concerned, the fact that the builder was at fault is not important..... I signed a contract! Sheer lunacy.
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by liveaboard

The OP complained about a THIRD WORLD style company that has locked him in to an unusable service.

But his new service is also very poor,

He has to go outside to make a phone call.

My posts are trying to advise on resolving the poor signal quality without getting locked into a contract with a further THIRD WORLD COMPANY.

I am guessing the problem company is one I had trouble with many years ago in Spain and have avoided ever since.

If I am correct that company now offers the best service, both value and signal strength in the area I am now living.

BUT NO WAY WOULD I EVER USE THEM.
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

spot on 'liveaboard' .............. it isnt 'customer service'........... its 'victim support' I now have 2 contracts, and Iam assured by the shopstaff (of the second contract) that if the internet works fine in the house,which it does, then the mobiles will work as they use the same technology, which is fine in principal, only the internet box is on the outside of the house hardwired into the modem inside so works fine, the mobile signal in the house is patchy, we can text but not call and have to go outside to make a call............. the TV box does not work as the on screen message says 'you do not have access to these channels contact victim support' so I go back to the shop next time I am in town, the lady in the shop says she will get victim support to ring me, but victim support cannot ring me to sort out the TV signal because the mobiles dont work ................. and the cycle starts all over again !!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it doesn't solve your two contracts issue but would as your internet is good would VOIP help in giving you phone connection indoors?

Could you ask the shop to get victim support to WhatsApp you rather than phone call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.