Meo

Old Dec 3rd 2023, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meo

I am with Meo. The price keeps going up mid contract. It ends in January.
Any advice for landline and unlimited broadband?
Old Dec 3rd 2023, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

PJC61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meo

Our MEO contract recently ended and during that time the price did not change once. We were more than happy to renew for another two years.
Old Dec 3rd 2023, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

I,ve been with MEO for over twenty years now and periodicaly have had to go and see them face to face, to question their random price increases.
On every occasion they have "adjusted" my contract to a satisfactory amount.
They seem to operate in a similar way to many insurance companies with their premiums, if you say nothing, the prices keep going up !
Telecoms are apparently the most complained about service in Portugal but MEO are probably the biggest and best of a bad bunch, particularly when it comes to maintainance and fault repairs etc.

Old Dec 4th 2023, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

If you read your MEO contract, you will probably find, like I did, that there is a clause which allows them to increase the price by their equivalent of the retail price index. This year it was approximately 7%. I think it is only once a year.
Old Dec 4th 2023, 10:47 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
If you read your MEO contract, you will probably find, like I did, that there is a clause which allows them to increase the price by their equivalent of the retail price index. This year it was approximately 7%. I think it is only once a year.
The same happened in the UK.....
Old Dec 4th 2023, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I only have a mobile Data sim with MEO. Have had it for 10 years. Every year they reduce the data allowance and ask for huge increases in monthly cost. I just go to the local MEO shop and ask to have the Head office call me. They have always done that, and sometimes it resulted in a lower monthly charge than previous year and an increase in Data allowance. So yes when you get the new bill, go to your nearest MEO shop. I am expecting the same carry on this year when I get the first invoice for Jan 2024 (hope they are still receptive)
Old Dec 4th 2023, 1:02 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

There's another one for the unwary, or less careful reader.

Some of the headline tariffs include a short-ish "discount period", along with an obligation to adhere for a minimum 24 months. It is much more clearly marked these days than of old but it still puts the introductory rate in the biggest, boldest type :

And if you're being sold a package in a shop or over the phone, don't expect the salesperson to mention anything other than the initial price.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 6:53 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

These days, in my experience, they don't deal with you in the shops if you're an existing customer wanting to renew. Go online, work out which package you want, then phone them.
+351 800 209 986
This is their free phone, English number. Even the option menu is in English.
Pick the relevant option for the package you're currently on, there isn't one for renewals. Who ever you get through to, say you to discuss renewing and changing your package, they will transfer you to renewals.
Now it's a battle of wills. They follow a script. First they will try to upsell you, double speed, double data, included sports channels, a free TV, half price Xbox, whatever they can get you to pay for but you don't need. Be strong. Resist, tell them the package you want each time they offer you something.

"I don't speak Portuguese, I don't watch the current channels let alone extra ones"
"I don't need an X I have one already"
"I don't use the data I have already, I don't need more"
"That seems more expensive than the lady offered in the Vodafone shop this morning"

They will go away and try again, but each time the price comes down. Be prepared to go round this loop 3 or 4 times until they say "that's the best I can do". Take the offer.

I've been with MEO 5 years odd now, do this every 2 years as the contract ends and each time the price goes down.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly what I do every 2 years. It's a bit of a pain but it's the only way to renew without paying extra for loyalty.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

consider using a burner phone, or their sales people will be phoning you forever.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 12:34 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I walked away from MEO when their ADSL offering became virtually useless and they showed no sign of improving.

I moved to NOS mobile imternet, who were great for a year...... then the speed started dropping off and nothing I did could improve it.

So I moved to Vodafone, better linespeed, but more expensive. Let's see how that lasts.

In comparison, I haven't changed my mobile or broadband provider in all that time.........

Not a lot of business nous in Portugal.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed over last month that MEO 4G speeds on my phone in my house have dramatically improved....ie from average 4mb/sec to 40mb sec.....amazing.
This could coincide with them cancelling 3G on local masts.
They are the only company that can even give me a signal, just need to get more data now for next year without paying a fortune, as now able to DL films etc
Old Dec 8th 2023, 3:31 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
I have noticed over last month that MEO 4G speeds on my phone in my house have dramatically improved....ie from average 4mb/sec to 40mb sec.....amazing.
This could coincide with them cancelling 3G on local masts.
They are the only company that can even give me a signal, just need to get more data now for next year without paying a fortune, as now able to DL films etc
4G speeds are rarely good enough to watch TV or films through the summer months when the tourists all roam onto the masts. Once they go home again speeds are great again.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 3:36 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Score76
4G speeds are rarely good enough to watch TV or films through the summer months when the tourists all roam onto the masts. Once they go home again speeds are great again.
In the Algarve maybe..... out in the sticks there's not a lot of difference........
Old Dec 8th 2023, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
I walked away from MEO when their ADSL offering became virtually useless and they showed no sign of improving.

I moved to NOS mobile imternet, who were great for a year...... then the speed started dropping off and nothing I did could improve it.

So I moved to Vodafone, better linespeed, but more expensive. Let's see how that lasts.

In comparison, I haven't changed my mobile or broadband provider in all that time.........

Not a lot of business nous in Portugal.
When you say you 'haven't changed my mobile or broadband provider in all that time' I presume you mean in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.