MEO

Old Oct 4th 2021, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice
Unhappy MEO

Just changed over from ADSL to Fibre with MEO and have to say I,m not impressed.
According to the speed tests I,ve done, MEO appear to be providing me with around 42Mbps.
Their publicity for the package I have, claims 100Mbps
Any one else having issues ?
Old Oct 4th 2021, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MEO

Originally Posted by Dafty
Just changed over from ADSL to Fibre with MEO and have to say I,m not impressed.
According to the speed tests I,ve done, MEO appear to be providing me with around 42Mbps.
I'm getting around 120Mbps up and down.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

If you are getting that when plugged (cable) into the router then there's something wrong, phone MEO, fairly sure that's below their minimum guarantee

If it's OK speed when plugged in, then it's WiFi issues, much more common with fibre because of the higher (potential) speeds
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

I have had this for a few years. When first put in I was told because I only used a Kindle, It was only 50. I needed 5G to get 100+! When I use a VPN I get 75+. Apart from this Meo has been OK!
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morro
I have had this for a few years. When first put in I was told because I only used a Kindle, It was only 50. I needed 5G to get 100+! When I use a VPN I get 75+. Apart from this Meo has been OK!
A VPN will always reduce the base speed because it's adding overhead to your link, so if you are getting 75+ on that then you definitely have more than 50 at the router

ADSL has numerous things which can affect speed, fibre (FTH which is what it mostly is in PT) much less so, though it's certainly possible that if you have a lot of heavy fibre users in your area then you could be getting congestion further up the chain. But it's much more likely to be the WiFi connections within your property (especially if you have a Portuguese house with thick stone walls!)
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

I get 1.6mbps on a good day on ADSL with MEO despite paying for 24mbps. There seems to be no prospect anytime soon of fibre in my village in central Portugal although it was installed 4 or 5 years ago in the valley about 8 kms away. So count your blessings!
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Might also be useful to mention here, after several calls where I (with varying degrees of success) navigated the Meo Portuguese IVR menus I discovered that they actually have it in English as well, on 800 209 986 - this *should* also (bit hit or miss) end up routing you to someone who speaks good English
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by borisface
I get 1.6mbps on a good day on ADSL with MEO despite paying for 24mbps. There seems to be no prospect anytime soon of fibre in my village in central Portugal although it was installed 4 or 5 years ago in the valley about 8 kms away. So count your blessings!
Ouch, that's pretty bad - are you a really long way from the exchange?

We had ADSL until very recently when fibre finally arrived. It was originally around 4Mbps down and a pathetic 400kbps up. After complaining to Meo I was very surprised when an engineer turned up the next day, spent a few hours up the poles and fixed a couple of bad connections, improving it to around 8Mbs down, 1Mbs up. Not great, but much more usable for video calls especially

So if you haven't already tried, it's worth raising a case with Meo (ideally login to the router and supply them with the line stats to back it up, though they can also access that remotely)
Old Oct 5th 2021, 7:16 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borisface
I was getting similar - and paying about €45 per month for the (dis)pleasure.

A while ago I swapped to NOS mobile internet - 4G only - and saw the linespeed increase to 6-8mps at a cost of €1 per day, unlimited. The linespeed now probably averages 4-6mbps (greater usage, I presume) and there are occasional drop-outs (but never for long periods), so overall it is far better and cheaper than MEO ADSL.

Vodafone claim to offer a similar service and priceframe (and have better coverage), but I believe they do cap the service (by dropping the linespeed to 10mbps!!!) after a certain level of usage and I have read some other criticisms which have deterred me from trying them, for now.

Maybe someone else on the forum can comment on the Vodafone deal or suggest an alternative.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am a good distance from the exchange and unfortunately I don't get a consistent mobile signal (sometimes its 8mbps others 80kb) either. The 1.6mb is pretty constant except when its hot, cold, wet or windy!
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been with MEO for two years now, contract ending, will not touch them again...
Old Oct 7th 2021, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Alcazar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: MEO

We only moved out here for good at the end of May this year.
When we contacted MEO regarding fibre optic internet, we were told it was in our area, and it would take 5 days to install. Perfect eh?
11 weeks later and still no internet, my wife walked into the Guia store and demanded they hand her the complaints book to fill in. 2 days later we were offered 5G internet until the fibre optic issue was sorted out, which we thought would have sufficed for a week or so.
An engineer came out and checked the signal strength, and said as we had less than 1/2mb capability he wasn't going to waste time installing it.
Now at the end of our tethers, my wife took to social media and found MEO had a facebook page, it was at this point she let them have both barrels. Less than 5 minutes after posting her rant a MEO representative called and said the issue would be sorted out in less than 48hrs.
True to their word the next day a team of 4 engineers turned up and installed the 600 meters or so of cable from the nearest access point, and a few hours later a lone engineer connected us. Yahooo.
If we had had more choice of internet suppliers, we would have told MEO to shove their service where the sun doesn't shine.

I've just speed tested our internet. Now we have 216mb download and 125mb upload. AMAZING. I've never heard of anyone in the UK getting these sort of speeds.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alcazar
We only moved out here for good at the end of May this year.
When we contacted MEO regarding fibre optic internet, we were told it was in our area, and it would take 5 days to install. Perfect eh?
11 weeks later and still no internet, my wife walked into the Guia store and demanded they hand her the complaints book to fill in. 2 days later we were offered 5G internet until the fibre optic issue was sorted out, which we thought would have sufficed for a week or so.
An engineer came out and checked the signal strength, and said as we had less than 1/2mb capability he wasn't going to waste time installing it.
Now at the end of our tethers, my wife took to social media and found MEO had a facebook page, it was at this point she let them have both barrels. Less than 5 minutes after posting her rant a MEO representative called and said the issue would be sorted out in less than 48hrs.
True to their word the next day a team of 4 engineers turned up and installed the 600 meters or so of cable from the nearest access point, and a few hours later a lone engineer connected us. Yahooo.
If we had had more choice of internet suppliers, we would have told MEO to shove their service where the sun doesn't shine.

I've just speed tested our internet. Now we have 216mb download and 125mb upload. AMAZING. I've never heard of anyone in the UK getting these sort of speeds.

Well done. The squeaky wheel gets the oil!
Old Oct 7th 2021, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought - we had our Meo fibre installed and had no problems initially, then we had the roof insulated and noted severe lack of megas - the fibre (as the MEO installer was at pains to tell us initially) needs to be kept clear of kinks and our roof chaps had put a kink in it. Once kink was straightened out we were back to full speed again. Perhaps check your fibre cable runs smoothly?